annoyed of people in real life...

Options
Does anyone else find that people complain about their weight a lot? I've had A LOT of people recently tell me they want to lose weight lately, and I tell them about MFP and try to help them get motivated, but then they blow me off completely.... Does this happen to anyone else? I guess I never realized how many people are not ready to actually put their mind to stufff! yikes lol

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Yup! People back home especially. Since I came back looking better they want too as well. But then don't want to listen to a word I say xD
  • Maple669
    Options
    Wow you can gain 15 pounds and you couldn't really notice =)
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I know. I get people to listen to me for about 1 min, then they start giving me this "this chick is crazy" look, and I know it's all downhill from there! haha I just feel like I'm scaring people away, but it's not scary at all!
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I get that all the time! It's so frustrating to listen to my friends complain but not do anything! Then again, I have to remind myself that I was like that until last December.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    YES. I think people just get in this cycle of feeling bad, low self-esteem. They have to want to change or it won't happen. It has to be a must.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    happens to me all the time!! i tell everyone that asks me how to lose weight about it. no one ever uses it!
  • Christa4335
    Christa4335 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes...people complain constantly and do nothing about it. How about people should not complain constantly if they are not going to fix their weight problem.
  • UmaB
    UmaB Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I actually told a friend about MFP and she wants to lose weight and she told me she doesn't like counting calories because it doesn't work and she doesn't have time and yada yada yada. I told her well you are not counting calories and how is that working out for you? She joined the next day! :)
  • barbiex3
    Options
    lol!! Yeah, and I also will tell people I've met this semester that I lost 15 pounds over the summer, and they don't believe me? I'm like okay then... it's annoying :( but i'm glad I look like i've always been thin.. kinda?
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!
  • xhaller
    xhaller Posts: 95
    Options
    I couldn't agree more!!! I work with all these people who park so close to work, and park in the closest spots when we go anywhere and yet they always complain about their weight. It's like "Dude, you don't have to climb a mountain or go to 10 spin classes a week, but move your butt."
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Yuppers... it's MUCH easier to sit around and complain rather than actually put some EFFORT into making a real change!
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Yes, it drives me bonkers....but then I remember I used to be one of those people and I cut them some slack.
  • Iheartsushi
    Iheartsushi Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yep..but what REALLY irks me is when I talk to people that are 'fit' when they are complaining about their last 5 lbs or little bit of nothing they want to change, so I go to suggest they join MFP for the support system and motivation element and they look incredibly insulted. As if chubby ol me has no right to suggest an alternative to what has already been working for them. I'm like..if it's working, then what are you complaining for?!!! lol
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Uh yea.. all my friends from college want to lose weight... solely because I'm losing weight. So they try for a few weeks, then fall of the bandwagon... and give crazy excuses like because of my trainer I'm losing weight or I just have more time then they do... Yea, because working full-time pretty much and taking a 3 hour night class means I have loads more time then they do.

I just think that if people wanted it bad enough, they would do it... but we live in such a fast society, that people have been tricked into believing that weight loss should be the same way.. fast, easy and painless.
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    I work with some people that want to lose weight. I have told them about MFP, but they haven't joined yet. I have noticed that some of them have traded chips for veggies and puddings for yogurts. I think some times they get annoyed with me saying how many calories are in everything, but I think overall they are starting to eat healthier.
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Ok first...I covet thy body!! Totally jealous! And second...I used to be that person when it came to eating. I've dropped 45 pounds and don't make those excuses for food anymore. I still do this a little teeny tiny bit when it comes to exercise, though. Work in progress!! :)
  • barbiex3
    Options
    Yep..but what REALLY irks me is when I talk to people that are 'fit' when they are complaining about their last 5 lbs or little bit of nothing they want to change, so I go to suggest they join MFP for the support system and motivation element and they look incredibly insulted. As if chubby ol me has no right to suggest an alternative to what has already been working for them. I'm like..if it's working, then what are you complaining for?!!! lol

omg that's so mean =[ I could so see girls doing that too. I'm sorry... :'( people are mean!!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    all the time. I don't know which ones are more annoying: the over weight ones or those skinny ones who only see themselves as "fat". LOL
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I know. I get people to listen to me for about 1 min, then they start giving me this "this chick is crazy" look, and I know it's all downhill from there! haha I just feel like I'm scaring people away, but it's not scary at all!

Haha, same here. More often than not, as soon as I say I count calories and exercise I automatically become the "crazy obsessed girl." I've had people roll their eyes at me when I said it too. Seriously, what did they think, I have the world's best kept secret?! HAHAHA.