Some Running Advice for Novice & Intermediate Runners :^)

Options
I’ve had people ask me over the last few years for running tips. Sure, I’m a 42yo overweight mom, and slow runner. However, I have learned some valuable information that I would like to share. The extremely dedicated runner (you know who you are…at the front of the race…in the seeded position….) probably won’t need to read this. That’s okay. This goes out to the rest of us. The runners that are at the back of the pack with the strollers, and are running just for the hell of it (and to keep the Love Handles away).

SHOES:
1) You need to find out your foot shape, and how your foot strikes the pavement. This determines the TYPE of sole you will need in a running shoe. There are several ways to do this. The easiest is to go online. Try:
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-326-7152-0,00.html

You can also go to a local running store. We have Runtex here in Texas. I’m not sure if you have something like that where you are. They will test your foot in their store, but they will also expect you to spend $200+ on shoes. Beware of that. You probably don’t need $200 shoes.

Once you have determined your foot type, you will need to get shoes that compliment your foot. For example,
I roll my foot to the outside. I am more prone to shin/knee/hip injuries because of it. Until May, I ran in shoes that had a thick
outside sole to compensate for how my foot lands. I now run in Vibram Bikila minimalist shoes. These aren't for everyone, but they have helped me considerably with knee/ankle problems.

For long distance running, I suggest getting 1-1.5 sizes LARGER than you normally wear (unless you are using minimalist shoes). Your feet will swell up when you are running long distance. Larger shoes give your foot more room (i.e. less blisters, injury, etc.). Before my Vibrams, I strictly wore New Balance shoes because they had a wider toe box. I also bought men’s shoes as they were usually wider (if you wear a 9 in women’s, you would wear a 7 in men’s). That is just my preference. I like lots of toe room in my running shoes. I wear a 9, so I buy a woman’s 10.5 or a men’s 8.5.

If you find a brand you like, GREAT! It is a trial and error sort of thing. If you find a style that you adore, go online and buy another pair or go back to where you originally bought them. Unless on sale, you will usually find a better price for your shoes online. NOTE: You will need to replace your shoes at 300-400 miles OR when you are starting to notice shin/knee/hip pain. DO NOT (seriously, DON’T!) skimp here. Buy the shoes when you need them. Don’t buy the $20 shoes on sale either. Get the ones that are $50+. Your body will thank you.
————————————————–
SOCKS:
I buy Thurlos as they allow my feet to “breathe” and they have lots of cushioning. However, there are TONS of different types of running socks out there. This is a trial and error sort of thing. The same thing applies with running socks as shoes. Find what you like. Buy several pair. You will be surprised at how much good socks cost. I think my Thurlos were something like $9-$11 a pair. Yikes!
————————————————–
CHAFFING:
If you experience body chaffing, invest in a sport stick (Body Glide, etc.). Many folks use Vaseline too. I find that it stains
my running clothes. I had to resort to using sport tape with my last marathon season because I was rubbing myself to bleeding.
If you start to notice chaffing (i.e. waistband, armpits, breast area, etc.) buy a
sport stick.
————————————————-
CLOTHING:
WEAR SOMETHING COMFORTABLE THAT BREATHES! Did I say that loud enough for you? I prefer wearing running tights, lycra long/tight shorts, etc. The Lord blessed (cursed?) me with less-than-model-perfect thighs. I prefer clothing that won’t rub me raw. Believe me, nothing hurts more than being on a long run and having your legs chafe. It sucks. Believe me, I’ve been there.
For my tops, I prefer breathable/wicking shirts. Yeah, you can wear a regular old t-shirt, but when the temperatures get up there, you will be more comfortable in a shirt that doesn’t hold moisture in.

MEN: Seriously consider wearing compression shorts for long runs. I know that many men like wearing simple running shorts. They may have an inner lining, but will that support you for 10, 15, or 20 miles?

WOMEN: Get a GOOD sports bra. I’m really top heavy for a woman runner (36DD). I wear Moving Comfort Maia or Helena running bras. I’ve tried Nike, Saucony, and several “just squish ‘em down” bras. It doesn’t matter if you are large or small chested, find a COMFORTABLE & SUPPORTIVE bra to fit you. The two of you will be putting down lots of miles together. Make sure that the bra you wear isn’t too tight or too loose. Either one can rub you to bleeding. THAT is something every woman runner wants to avoid.

When it is really hot (we have had something like 90 days of 100+ temps here in Austin, TX so far this year), I wear a kerchief and wicking/dryfit hat. I get both WET before I go run. If the weather is going to be extremely hot, I may even get my shirt wet first too.

In cold weather, I wear gloves and a light, running jacket. After a mile, I usually put my gloves into my fanny pack and tie my jacket around me. Winter temps don’t usually go below 27 degrees here. I tend to get warm after the first mile of running. You may be different.
————————————————
HAT:
Wear one. Period. It doesn’t matter if it is overcast. Wear one. Your eyes/skin will thank you.
———————————————–

IDENTIFICATION (i.e. Just in Case something goes wrong):

Wear identification! It doesn’t matter if you are going around the block, or for a 20 miler, wear identification. One of my favorite recommendations is Road I.D. http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx

You don’t have to go with this company, though. In fact, you can make your own tag and carry it with you. Make sure it says: (1) Your name (2) Your date of birth (3) Your blood type (4) Two emergency contact numbers (5) Medications you may be allergic to

I have been running for about 25 years now. I have fallen several times, and gotten a REALLY BAD case of shin splints on my runs. You NEED identification just in case. I read a story where a runner was side-swiped, injured, and couldn’t speak to the Paramedics. Her identification helped save her life. Don’t be without it!

SUNSCREEN:
*See Hat (well, not your eyes, but you get the point ;D LOL!)
———————————————–
CROSS TRAINING:
For many years, I thought that my body would slim down/tone up only through running. During my last marathon season, I had a friend tell me to try cross training, and incorporate strength training. At first, I thought she was crazy, but I started to do Pilates and Kickboxing just to see if it worked. Within a month, I realized that strengthening my core muscles was helping my running posture. On really long runs, I wasn't slouching. I FELT stronger. I also noticed that kickboxing strengthened my hip joints. Using 6lbs. weights to do arm/back/shoulder exercises helped combat against fatigue on my longer runs. Who would've thought that doing simple weight and cross training could help my running? Have you been doing cross training? Give it a try!
When I go on a really long run (I consider over 6 miles long), I eat a light carbohydrate. Usually this is a banana, Clif bar, or 1 cup of orange juice. I also take an Ibuprofen or two. I find that taking these little pills helps me not be as sore afterwards.

When I come home from my run, I shower and then eat a HEALTHY meal. Healthy I mean: oatmeal, whole wheat toast w/sugar free jam, fruit, egg-whites, 100% juice, fat free yogurt w/almonds, etc. Research is showing that if you eat a protein within 30min of a strenuous workout, you cut your recovery time in HALF. Eat protein!

While training, you want to eat healthy. Many folks will push food on you with the “You are running so much, you can eat anything” approach. This is NOT true. There are many runners out there that think they can just eat and eat. That’s a great way to pack on the extra pounds. You still need to watch your calorie intake. When I am in training, I usually consume between 1700-1900 calories a day. That is when I am running AT LEAST 25 miles a week with strength training. Running less than that? Keep your calories around 1400-1500. Men need to eat around 2000 calories a day when they are not training. They will need to consume 200-500 more if they are.

When I train, I try to eat: brown rice, whole grain pastas/cereals/breads, fat free yogurt, milk, and cheese. FRESH fruits & vegetables (I also love steamed, broiled, or grilled veggies). natural Peanut Butter, almonds & walnuts. Egg whites, fish, chicken, turkey, and lean cuts of beef (I don’t eat much beef because it is heavier on the system). Stay away from processed/diet meals as they are full of sodium. Try to make your meals as much as possible. Limit alcohol and caffeine too.

Foods to avoid before a long run: sugar free gum (seriously…this will hit your system and you will need to rush to the porta potty at the worst possible time), heavy spices or salsa, lots of leafy greens (same thing as gum).
—————————————————————-

WATER:
Buy a sports bottle, and wear it for anything over 3 miles. When I am doing light training, I have a fanny pack that fits a 16oz bottle beautifully. When I go over 6 mile runs, I wear my Camelbak Hydrobak. This is just my personal preference. You don’t have to run with water strapped to your side. I get very thirsty on long runs, and love my Camelbak.

Just a note: If you decide to put something into your water, consider a GOOD electrolyte drink. These powders add carbohydrates and sodium to your water. Long distance runners need something more than water. They need to replace salts that they are sweating away. Also, these drinks have sugar which also help with energy levels.

—————————————————————–
ENERGY WHILE RUNNING:
There are TONS of sports foods out there. I prefer gel when I run over 8 miles. I really like the Hammer Gel Chocolate. I also like Clif Blox or Jelly Belly electrolyte beans. They work great too. This is sort of a personal preference thing. You have to remember that you will probably need something, but want to make sure that it is something that is easy for you to consume.
You will have a dry mouth (mostly) while running. You don’t want to be eating a granola bar or crackers. Many during running foods contain sugar and sodium. Sugar for energy and sodium to replace what your body is sweating. Make sure that your during run food (I use 1 item on a 13 miler and 2-3 on a marathon) fits into that category.

I know that there are TONS of half/full marathon training programs out there. It is all a personal preference in what you choose. My two favorites are Hal Higdon and Jeff Galloway. Both of these men are legends in long distance running. Jeff’s program encourages you to take short walk breaks throughout your long distance run. Hal’s program is also wonderful. Both men have run a bazillion (no, really, it’s true) marathons. Hal even did 7 marathons in 7 months for his 70th birthday for charity.

If you are training for your first half or full marathon (and have no idea how to go about it), I HIGHLY recommend the book: The Non-Runner’s Marathon Trainer by David Whitsett, Forrest Dolgener and Tanjala Kole. This book got me through my first half marathon, and I’ve never stopped wanting to run since then.

____________________________________—————————————————————–
CARE OF YOUR BODY AFTER A RUN:
Take a nice, warm shower or bath. Many runners take an ice bath after a marathon (or a very long run). I know…it sounds insane. However, I did this for my last 3 halves & 2 marathons. It does wonders. Sure, it feels HORRIBLE when you are in the tub, but you won’t be as sore the next day.

The day after your longest run, make sure to take a rest day. Your muscle tissues need to repair themselves. A great thing to do on this day is yoga or light stretching. Don’t run more than 5 days a week. I have also found that doing strength training (especially CORE MUSCLE building) works wonders for my running time. As you get tired, you will tend to lean forward. Strengthening your tummy & back will help you run upright longer. Using a stability ball, hand weights, or bands are great aids for these exercises. I recently bought a weight vest too. I put it on when I am doing chores around the house. When I bend down to pick up socks, for example, I am using my tummy/back muscles. My vest is 10lbs. It doesn’t take much weight to get your muscles working hard. I found mine on Ebay for something like $20 + shipping.

The thing with most of these items is trial and error. You want to make sure that you are wearing comfortable shoes & clothing. As your race draws nearer, there will be other preparations to make.

Find a running schedule that is designed for first/intermediate time runners (Hal Higdon or Jeff Galloway are my favorites). If you miss a run day, don’t freak. Try to do something for exercise that day. You could speed walk, put in an exercise DVD, jump rope, do squats/lunges & crunches, etc. Just can’t fit in any exercise one day? It happens to us all. Continue with your schedule the next day.

One more thing, running isn’t always about how fast you get to the end. When I am training, I run 10 min. miles. During a race, I run 9 min. miles (sometimes less, but that is usually my pace). That’s slow for most dedicated runners. You know what? WHO CARES?! Getting to the finish line is what matters. You can walk, jog, skip, sprint, or crawl to the end. The journey is half the fun. YOU WILL DO GREAT!!!

About Me – I am the slow running mom that smiles during every race. I've completed 3 marathons, 5 half marathons down (including the Walt Disney World 2009 Goofy Races), and a bunch of 5k & 10K races. I'm currently training for: 2011 Decker Half, 2012 WDW Goofy Races, 3M Half, Run Strong Marathon, Zooma Marathon). My goal is to do 5 marathons and 20 half marathons total by age 50 (8 years away). If I can run, so can YOU!

Replies

• Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Great Information! Thanks
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Awesome Info!!!
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Copying/pasting this into my Exercise Tips. Thanks!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    BUMP!

Thanks Shan :) Lots of great advice here!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    My only comment is that you are NOT slow!

I run (on average) a 12 minute mile. I definitely consider myself a slow runner...but like you, I'm proof that if I can do it, anyone can! :)
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    lots of useful info!

I agree, you are not slow! Very inspiring :)
  • gardenimp
    gardenimp Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump..... thanks for your time to type all this out. Definately helpful, I've only been running for a couple of months now. Up to 4 mile stints 3x a week. Getting stronger everyday!
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You rock! Thanks for taking the time to do this!
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    excellent blog. I would +1 to the cold bath post long run. I started doing that on my long runs and 1/2 races and was totally amazed at how much better my recovery was!!!!
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    ♥ LOVE THIS ♥ Thank you!
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! For someone who has only been running for about 6 weeks and, at times, still thinks that they can't do it., this information is great! My sister, a serious runner, tells me all the time that anyone can be a runner, and while it's hard to believe, I sure hope it's true!!
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My only comment is that you are NOT slow!

I run (on average) a 12 minute mile. I definitely consider myself a slow runner...but like you, I'm proof that if I can do it, anyone can! :)

I agree...I'm at 12 min miles now...I know I'm slow....You would be FAST in my book!!!! thanks for the great info!!!!
  • LeanMeanJeanne
    LeanMeanJeanne Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    EXCELLENT info!! Makes me want to lace up and hit the pavement!
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    9 minute miles are a dream of mine :)

Right now I think I "run" at about 2.8 mph because even the old lady walker at the track passes me while she smokes a cigarette and chats on her phone... (OK not really but almost!)

Thanks for the great advice! I've signed up for the half marathon in Williamsburg next May and I am determined to run it well (as in get to the end before they pack up and shut down the finish line.)
  • Amanda_Runs
    Amanda_Runs Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You know I love ya!
    Great advice and I second everything you say. Only my drug of choice during a run is some NUUN in my water bottle and GU Jet Blackberry - I found that I NEED the caffeine!
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the useful advice. Being new to running (a little more than half way through c25k) I appreciate this.
  • caramel1920
    Options
    Considering I can't run a full lap around the track yet, I read every word and was riveted. Have you ever considered writing a book? Think about it, thanks for the tips I am truly a beginner, never ran, ever! I actually speed walk faster than I jog but I really want to give it a try. Anyways, think about that book thing!
  • DawniesLife
    Options
    I actually just bookmarked this forum thread so I can come back to it again at a later date for reference! I love all of this advice and helpful hints, thank you so very much for taking the time to post this! I am pretty new to running so I am always looking for more information and helpful hints and tips!
  • ratsyroo
    ratsyroo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am most definitely a beginner...maybe even a pre-beginner! lol But I loved this informative post! I want to bookmark this for later. Thanks so much! And you are truly an inspiration!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    This is generally some great advice, but I wanted to share my experience at a running store, since it was a little different from what you posted.

At my local store I got a gait analysis (they take a video of you running on a treadmill to get a good look at how you run), and they pulled a few different styles to try on, based on my feet and gait. None of them cost more than $130, and I ended up buying a great Saucony pair for around $95.

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that a trip to the running store isn't necessarily a $200+ endeavor.