So depressed...

Options
I am so lost, I don't know what to do... I have been on Myfitnesspal since about April last year, starting at about 175lbs... went up and down for a while, the smallest I got was 168lbs, which wasn't long ago. For the past few months,I have been at a standstill. In the past 2 months, I have actually started GAINING weight. I am back up to 175 lbs! I try to work out every day. I have been doing the 30 Day Shred. I am on level 2. Before I started that, I was running and doing weight training at the gym. I have actually started GAINING weight. No inches lost, no pounds lost, clothes are NOT fitting any looser, I spent my whole drive to work crying about it. I don't know what to do. I stay withing calories, and I workout every day. Am I not working out enough? Someone please help!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough and clean. Maybe open your diary.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    you talked about your exercise, but nothing about your eating/drinking and your food diary is not public. what you eat/drink is 80% of the fat loss equation. exercise has its benefits, but you can't out-train bad eating. anyway, I suspect the answer is somewhere in what you are eating. I recommend opening up your food diary so we can take a look.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open so there is not much I can tell you. My guess is either you're not accurately counting the calories you've lost working out (do you have an HRM) or you're not logging all of your food accruately. Everything you put in your mouth counts. Do you have a food scale? Try not eating all of your exercise calories back (maybe try eating only half). Watch your sodium intake and try upping your water. I know its discouraging, but don't give up!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    You seem to be eating FAR too little. Your body possibly feels like you have no food available, so it worries about that and makes sure to keep all the fat and weight on you that it can.

I'd like to ask how much you weigh now, and what your goal is? It is likely that you have your weight loss per week setting too high.
  • 3ball
    3ball Posts: 338
    Options
    Sorry to hear. Agree with the others, I think without knowing your food intake situation, that's where we would need to start.
  • Pakitalian
    Pakitalian Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Sorry about that... its public now. I know I am excessive in my carbs, but I have still been able to lose weight in the past. I was up to 297 lbs about 5 years ago. I was able to lose 162 lbs the first go around! And while I was watching calories, my diet was still pretty carb heavy. Maybe because I am older it just isn't the same this time around??
  • JillianP00
    Options
    Everyone has their frustration and I will tell you it will be okay! There are other factors that could hinder weight loss, like amount of sleep and stress. Are you getting plenty of sleep at night? Are you changing up your workouts at all? If you are doing the same workouts and are not truly pushing yourself? Since I can't see your diary it is hard to judge your food intake. Try eating small meals 4 times a day and don't forget to eat breakfast. It gives your metabolism that boost it needs in the morning! I'm here if you have any questions or need extra support!

Jillian
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I am the same age as you, you are able to lose weight (barring any other physical troubles)

Try to set your food goal to lose 1 lb per week, it should give you a higher daily calorie goal. 1200 is very small for a goal, and many days you do not even eat 1000. That is the main reason you are seeing trouble.
  • polkataniec
    Options
    you talked about your exercise, but nothing about your eating/drinking and your food diary is not public. what you eat/drink is 80% of the fat loss equation. exercise has its benefits, but you can't out-train bad eating. anyway, I suspect the answer is somewhere in what you are eating. I recommend opening up your food diary so we can take a look.

I agree,def food/drink problem.You need a lot of water(plain)during the day and clean food habits.And you need to be honest in you log ons daily.
  • boilermakerblaw
    Options
    I just did a brief flipping through your diary and noticed that you don't necessarily log everyday or, if you did log its not *always* complete. I don't know if your going over calories on those days but that could be factoring in to your stagnant weight loss.

If I were you, I'd make a small goal for yourself to log your food, every day, for at least 30 days in a row and see what happens. Diet plays a huge role in weight loss and I think its really important to get that in check first. Also, be sure you're being honest with yourself. Do you eat a handful or spoonful of food and not log it? Are you just estimating how much you eat or are you measuring with measuring cups and weighing on a food scale?

Just try one month of being completely, and wholly honest with yourself and see if you see a change! Also, when you do weigh yourself make sure you do it at the same time everyday. I prefer to weigh myself right when I wake up so the food I ate/water I drank doesn't play into my weight.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    More fresh foods. Lean meats and fish, fresh fruits and veggies, low fat dairy, Low carb high fiber grains and nuts. Try to cut the processed foods and candy.
  • Pakitalian
    Pakitalian Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Right, I have been logging EVERYTHING... and the water isn't accurate. I drink about 10 cups a day, I just forget to log them... I should still up that some more though I guess
  • H_Factor
    Options
    after looking at your diary, I recommend making the following changes for at least two weeks to see what happens:

1. cut out the grains and starches....pasta, bread, potatoes, pizza

2. replace grains/starches with more lean protein....fresh fish, skinless chicken breasts, ground turkey and chicken, grass fed beef, bison, even protein powder

3. replace bad carbs with better carbs....berries, melons, veggies (the type of carb does matter)

4. drink 10-12 glasses of water per day.
  • 3ball
    3ball Posts: 338
    Options
    Are you logging your exercise consistently? What is your current weight loss per week goal?
  • JillianP00
    Options
    I would also try cutting down on your sugar. That can be a huge hinder for weight loss, too. I would agree with some other people and actually up your calorie intake to like 1300 or 1400 to start. Eating too little can actually be counter productive. Good luck!!
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    After looking at your diary, I'd definitely suggest tracking your sodium. A lot of foods you're eating are very high in sodium. Try for a more clean diet. Also, IDK if you're getting enough water since you don't track it. The high sodium and lack of water is major factor though. I'm often under my 1200 cals/day but I zig zag my cals and usually splurge on the weekends. I'd give yourself a few "cheat" days and up your cals just to jump start your metabolism. So many days under 1200 cals is going to stunt your progress
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    Your body changes and what works in the past does not always work now. I used to be able to put away a half a 2 pound bag of Santitas tortilla chips a day, it was half of my daily calories. I watched what I ate outside of that and I was really tiny. After years of that, weight started creeping on. I was on here for months and months with no change, even though I was always under calories and working out every day. Finally, a little over two weeks ago I quit eating tortilla chips. I added a small amount of nuts, and some fruit in as substitutes and I have lost nearly four pounds (my goal was 10). I am still eating the same number of calories as before, I am just eating different food. For me, gluten and corn, are just not friendly to my body. I miss my chips like crazy, but I like being closer to my goal better!

Lucy :)
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    If you are truly logging everything into your diary then you aren't eating enough calories and your body is in "starvation mode" causing your stagnant progress.

You should eat a minimum of 1200 calories a day and the days that I viewed you were under.

The other suggestions on here are great as well about the quality of food that you should be eating - less carbs and more lean protein and veggies should help.

Switch up your exercise routine here and there. You'll get it!
  • H_Factor
    Options
    Are you logging your exercise consistently? What is your current weight loss per week goal?

very good question. I meant to add to my list that you probably aren't eating enough because you're netting less than 1,200 calories most days. however, I think making better choices with what you eat is going to make a big difference for you. say buh bye to processed foods and hello to natural food.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I flipped through a few days of your diary and if you are supposed to be eating 1200 cals those few days you were under that. You could be putting yourself in starvation mode and your body is hanging on to every bit of nurourishment it can get.