Jogging Shirtless

Options

Replies

• Gualirix
    Options
    I say eff everyone and do what pleases you. Running shirtless or with a shirt, it's all about how comfortable you feel. People are never going to be pleased, anyways. Some people hate when you chew with your mouth open, others when you talk on your phone around them. You should do it for yourself! Run shirtless and enjoy your workout! Just be mindful during the winter. Wouldn't want you to get sick. So, all in all, enjoy yourself. Be fit and happy!
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I don't mine a guy jogging shirtless outside, but at the gym I'm icked out - not because of skin, nor do I feel only people with good bodies should be "allowed" to job shirtless, but because the sweat sprays. EVERYWHERE. A little towel wipe down does not do the trick. And yeah, sweat gets on your clothes. But then it isn't spraying IN MY FACE when I'm on the treadmill next to you.
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If you feel okay jogging without a shirt and it makes exercising more comfortable then, why not? If others around you don't 'like it' then they shouldn't be looking. Whether I grimace or giggle when a guy jogs by with out a shirt is my own reflection and it shouldn't affect them at all. That being said, gyms are LESS public than a park, so why would one be okay and not the other? If anything, it should be okay in the gym and not in the park because everyone in the gym is there for the same reason.
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I say if your comfortable then by all means run shirtless, unless your a woman please keep a sports bra on :laugh:
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I hate chafed nipples. Lose the shirt and save the nips!

A-Freaking-Men.

People that have never had these don't understand.

Of course, mine were already a little chafed from "alternative activities" so to be fair, it wasn't from just running.
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think that in a gym you should be required to wear a shirt regardless of gender, especially if you are using a machine that requires contact, although even on a treadmill it is not wise since the sweat can get the conveyor all wet. Outside of a gym it doesn't matter what I think about their appearnce since it is that person's preference.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I appreciate a shirtless man in relatively decent shape. It makes it easier to objectify them. Eye candy FTW!!
  • awkwwward
    Options
    Yeah, I fall into the "if you're comfortable doing it - do it!" camp. Just because it might not look culturally "good" shouldn't change a thing. I think 6-foot something models who weigh 105 with their ribs sticking out look HORRIBLE - doesn't mean they're not on the cover of just about every magazine out there. To each their own - if they have the balls to do it!
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Ok, I peeked at your profile pictures.

You appear to be well toned and in really nice shape.

If your gym allows shirtless, and that makes you happy, go shirtless.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    If I run outside and its warm enough I go shirtless, but the gyms I go to require a shirt, not to mention I sweat enough with the shirt on and luckily it absorbs everything my hands arent slinging around...I know that sounds gross but I clean up my area after..

On subject though , lets say that person running shirtless was 400 lbs at one point and now he is around 210-215, still has the extra skin but what an accomplishment! And he is very proud of his journey and not afraid to show it...but sadly we dont see his story, only the shirtless guy with flab bouncing...would you look at him differently if you knew his story...maybe a freind of yours on here meets you for a run for the first time, on here youve cut up, laughed, you know how hard he has worked, now as you prepare to run ,are you going to be embarrased by him going shirtless or do you do the right thing as you are his friend and be supportive..me personally I'm taking my shirt off and running with em if anyone says anything shame on their a**!
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the gym/location of the gym. Where I am, a small town in central Kansas, you would NEVER see someone inside the gym without a shirt. However, when I was at the college gym at the University of Kansas, you saw people without shirts every once in a while. At my junior college, people were shirtless ALL THE TIME! Just my experience. Outside, it's a free-for-all. Whatever you want. No shirt, shorty-shorts, whatever.

I can't wait for the day I can workout in just a sports bra again. I have a feeling it's only a few months away!
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Men running shirtless is fine by me =)
  • WillieEverlearn
    WillieEverlearn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The way I figure it, if you have the chutzpah to go shirtless (or bra only), it doesn't really matter what you look like. It's more about you being comfortable in your own skin (literally, I guess), so let that shirtless freak flag fly.

If someone comments on it, then up your game a bit: run in Speedos.
  • alaskan_blue
    Options
    I think there's a double standard for most people. Sure, if I see a ripped sex-god jogging along the street, I'm always going to tap my brakes and enjoy the view, and when I see a guy who's out of shape I kind of wonder why he doesn't have a shirt on but in the end, I can't really judge. No matter what he/she looks like, if they're out there, doing something to get healthier they automatically "win" since they're doing something that I don't (I prefer an air conditioned gym).

As for the "morality" you mentioned... Uh, I never knew that morality came into play. As long as they're not diverting from their path and dry humping my passenger window when I'm at the 4-way stop, I don't see that there's anything offensive about it. Anyone who does seriously needs to eat a bran muffin and get a [insert adult activity of choice here].
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good question. I say wear a shirt or tank top to the gym and go shirtless at home or outside. (?) I have never really thought about it so it must not bother me either way, but when I read another post about sweat flyin' I decided shirts is a good idea.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I think a shirt should be worn at all times while in the gym. Outside it is fine to run shirtless.

If I was on the machine next to you I wouldn't want all your sweat flying at me, a shirt soaks up most of it so I think it is needed.

Completely agree!!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    As far as the people talking about spraying sweat go... I spray sweat off my arms and legs, maybe my face, but not from my chest/back. I don't think that would have an effect...
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I find it almost better to run with one of the cool max type fabric shirts, they are very smooth as far as chafing and they wick away sweat from the body and it dries very quickly. I sweat a bunch when running and when I wear this type of shirt, you can't really even see big sweat spots on it, it's good stuff!
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    um... it all depends. there is a guy on our road who always runs shirtless (now known as the 'shirtless runner'), but he really should be doing us a favor and wear his shirt. he is very hairy and is by no means ripped. he also insists on wearing extra small running shorts that don't flatter in the slightest. so... it like i said, it all depends...
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    As long as your sweat doesn't land on me, I don't mind.

I cannot wait till I can run in just a sports bra again.