Death in Running

Options
joehempel
joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
I've been meaning to post this, but keep forgetting.

I seem to be doomed to cause a path of death and destruction when I run. Not every run, but every other month it seems.

Last month I'm running along with the stroller...hitting my stride, got my music playing through the speakers, feeling GREAT! All of a sudden I hear "squeak!!!" I stop and look back like "huh?"....I notice a baby squirrel was under a giant leaf that I ran over and I just killed it. Ugh.

Fast forward to last Monday. I'm on my last long run before I taper for the half-marathon, I'm running at an 8:55 pace, my best yet considering all the damn hills in the area. I'm into mile 4 and trudging up a hill and a BIRD flies under my shoe...WTF??? A BIRD...WITH WINGS!!!

I was pretty disturbed because A.) I had to adjust my step. and B.) I heard the CRUNCH of the bones. UGH!!!

What's next?? A Flying Albino Chameleon??

Replies

• brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Weird!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    The squirrels are going completely nuts (pun intended) at the moment. I've lost count of the number of times I've nearly stepped on or tripped over one when out running. I think they're doing some mad last second food burying for winter.

Birds usually have better reaction time, though. There are dozens that hop out form the hedgerow into the footpath I run down and perfectly time a last-second escape. There are wrens the seem to pop out only when I'm coming - maybe I disturb their favourite food stuff or something, Except the pigeons that aim for the face. They're evil like that.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Everyone would be safer if you ran on a treadmill!!! :tongue:
  • Incunabulum
    Options
    Don't look at what happened or will happen as tragedies. You may be helping to maintain decent squirrel and bird populations in your city. You're performing a public service! The city government should be sending you monthly stipends!
  • joehempel
    Options
    Don't look at what happened or will happen as tragedies. You may be helping to maintain decent squirrel and bird populations in your city. You're performing a public service! The city government should be sending you monthly stipends!

Great idea!!! I'll send them the bill! LOL
  • EmmaRankmore
    Options
    Your post gave me a much needed laugh - thankyou :)
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I myself have slaughtered countless frogs in my runs :( You have my sympathies.

Maybe it's natures way of saying you're going to KILL IT in the race? ;)
  • Incunabulum
    Options
    You may want to include an amount for damages due to mental and emotional trauma.

Great idea!!! I'll send them the bill! LOL
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    What's next? A fish jumping out of a pond and hurling itself under your foot? Sorry about the sound effects - must be awfully disturbing!
  • joehempel
    Options
    My first thought at squishing the bird was:

"Again??? REALLY??"

WOODLAND CREATURES BEWARE!!!!!

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    all I can say is good job you arent a strick Buddhist or a Jain
  • cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Ewwwww!!! :wink: When I run, I have to AVOID the already 'dead' squirrels and birds since my dog thinks they would be fun to carry around!! He is not sly enough to catch one on his own!!! :laugh:
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Where did you live??? I'm afraid to cross paths with you!! LOL Wow, strange stuff.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

stepping on baby squirrels & kamakazi birds are GREAT excuses for not going for a run... better than the usual 'i was tired after work' ir 'its raining'... I'll be using one of those tonight for sure!!!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    That's pretty nuts. I've almost stepped on a turtle & a couple chipmunks while trail running.
  • Scoobiesnax
    Scoobiesnax Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've killed a worm or two in my day...

You'll need to let me know your race schedule so that I'm sure to avoid entering the same events !.
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm a small time killer. Mostly snails, the occasional worm like Scoob. I see a lot of road kills though (not my fault!)
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Yeah, something going on with birds at the minute.. I've driven into a few in the past month, usually they're out of the way in plenty of time...
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Joe the Terminator: "I'll be back." ;P
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    haha Thats weird! Survival of the fittest though I suppose. Get out of the road!