HPV Vaccine

Options

Replies

• NatalieWiley
    NatalieWiley Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    jeeze why are we so hung up on those few words...just forget I said in a perfect world. MY goodness!
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Yes, good idea, but not something that needs to be legislated - just like working out and eating - personal choice. And the sex with just one forever...safe, yes, boring - you're right again - unless you find someone VERY special!!!
  • 46and2
    46and2 Posts: 167
    Options
    I'm all about the vaccine. Made my daughter start getting it when she was 12. As far as the multiple partners, not worried about it. She's going to be a virgin the rest of her life. DON'T RUIN THIS FOR ME!!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Sex with only one partner does NOT sound like a perfect world, in my opinion. Sounds rather boring, actually!

lol i agree!

???? You agree, yet you're the one who said that it would be this way in a perfect world.....label me confused!

in a perfect world that one partner would be the best ever ;-)

but how would you know if you didn't have anything in comparison?
  • rachel1496
    Options
    It's still a long way off for us but my daughter will be getting the vaccine in 7th grade (the recommended age here) and if they're recommending it for boys my son will too. My best friend had cervical cancer after her daughter was born and as a result of the treatment it is unlikely that she will ever be able to carry another child to term.

I don't expect them to wait until marriage or to only ever have one partner but they will have knowledge and access to contraceptives and I will teach them to being mature enough to have sex means being mature enough to protect yourself against pregnancy and STIs.
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options
    I helped my stepson's fiancee do research for her college paper on HPV vaccines and after learning a bunch of stuff (not good) and the questionable reputation of the company that manufactures Gardisil, I advised my 15 year old daughter at the time NOT to get the vaccine. Most people don't realize that there is no proof that the vaccine is effective after 5 years and requires a booster shot. Don't get me wrong, I think that any way to protect one's self against cancer is a good thing, but at this time, I feel the side effects / unknown factors far outweigh the benefits. Hopefully, there will be more work done on making this drug more safe / effective when my granddaughter gets to that age.

Edited to add: Very few women in the US and Europe die from cervical cancer because of yearly exams. If I lived in a third world country, where the death rate is very high, I believe I would encourage the vaccine.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    Sex with only one partner does NOT sound like a perfect world, in my opinion. Sounds rather boring, actually!

echo this.
  • jenscot25
    jenscot25 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    When i went to the DR about 2 years ago for an appt that Dr asked if I had the vaccine and I hadn't. He suggested that I didn't because he had seen a lot of patients that HAD gotten the vaccine back at Swedish with High grade HPV AFTER getting the shot (and they hadn't previously had it). My sis got the shot and has HPV and it was also discovered after.

I personally think that there is just something iffy about putting some sort of virus into your body. I haven't had a flu shot for YEARS and signed a waiver in college and I have been fine so far *knock on wood*.

HPV can lay dormant for years and not be detected. It is estimated that over 80% of the population carries some form of the strand. A vaccination is very needed to slow this down. If you want to get the vaccine do it, if not don't. My kids will get vaccinated because even if they grow up little angels (highly doubt it) and save themselves for marriage, their future husband may have it.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

I think she meant just one at a time...
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    My wife has gone through 2 issues with cervical cancer. the first in 2009 - had a very small surgery. the last was this summer where she had a hysterectomy. luckily it didn't spread to lymphnodes or would have also been radiation for 5 days a week for 5 weeks.

this was due to the HPV virus. the vaccine came out a few years after she was born, so she didn't have it.

I call tell you from experiencing this...i would recommend the vaccine (although I don't know all the pro's and con's). but from just what I read quickly, I would prob say yes. But obviously I would need to brush up a LOT more to give any sort of advice.

she was not promiscous or anything like that (those are mostly old fables and not always true). HPV is a virus that many people have and that it doesn't always come out or pose an issue to most....but for some reason, her's did.

it was a $hitty *kitten* summer and we are still dealing with it, no kids yet and not being able to get pregnant..etc. blah blah.

anyhoo...cancer can go F((((***kk itself!

there's my two cents.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Yes, good idea, but not something that needs to be legislated - just like working out and eating - personal choice. And the sex with just one forever...safe, yes, boring - you're right again - unless you find someone VERY special!!!

But (not looking for a big argument, just presenting the facts) we PRACTICALLY force all kids to be vaccinated as it is. No we do not require it for all children. But if you want to send them to school, any school, your kids better have had their shots.

And that's a good thing, we haven't nearly wiped out polio from the face of the planet by making the shot optional. By making all parents vaccinate their kids we go a very long way towards eliminating horrible and life threatening diseases that were once a common part of life for a great many people.

Vaccinate. Don't listen to anyone who tells you "how they personally feel" about it. Listen to doctors. Listen to scientists. They've actually done the research and know what they're talking about.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    When i went to the DR about 2 years ago for an appt that Dr asked if I had the vaccine and I hadn't. He suggested that I didn't because he had seen a lot of patients that HAD gotten the vaccine back at Swedish with High grade HPV AFTER getting the shot (and they hadn't previously had it). My sis got the shot and has HPV and it was also discovered after.

I personally think that there is just something iffy about putting some sort of virus into your body. I haven't had a flu shot for YEARS and signed a waiver in college and I have been fine so far *knock on wood*.

HPV can lay dormant for years and not be detected. It is estimated that over 80% of the population carries some form of the strand. A vaccination is very needed to slow this down. If you want to get the vaccine do it, if not don't. My kids will get vaccinated because even if they grow up little angels (highly doubt it) and save themselves for marriage, their future husband may have it.

well said!
  • jenscot25
    jenscot25 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

I don't expect them to wait until marriage or to only ever have one partner but they will have knowledge and access to contraceptives and I will teach them to being mature enough to have sex means being mature enough to protect yourself against pregnancy and STIs.

True Dat
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I say get it. Everyone makes mistakes. And the cold reality is even if you don't make a sexual mistake, your partner might of. Finding two people who have never made a mistake sexually being in a relationship together is improbable. I say protect yourself.
  • miss_sarcastic
    Options
    I helped my stepson's fiancee do research for her college paper on HPV vaccines and after learning a bunch of stuff (not good) and the questionable reputation of the company that manufactures Gardisil, I advised my 15 year old daughter at the time NOT to get the vaccine. Most people don't realize that there is no proof that the vaccine is effective after 5 years and requires a booster shot. Don't get me wrong, I think that any way to protect one's self against cancer is a good thing, but at this time, I feel the side effects / unknown factors far outweigh the benefits. Hopefully, there will be more work done on making this drug more safe / effective when my granddaughter gets to that age.

Edited to add: Very few women in the US and Europe die from cervical cancer because of yearly exams. If I lived in a third world country, where the death rate is very high, I believe I would encourage the vaccine.

I agree.
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    The premise of the shot is AWESOME. My only concern is that it is still so new, the long term effects of it have not been researched. For that reason I myself would not be getting the injection. That being said, I have a lifer. We know everything about each other's past experiences.
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I'm all about the vaccine. Made my daughter start getting it when she was 12. As far as the multiple partners, not worried about it. She's going to be a virgin the rest of her life. DON'T RUIN THIS FOR ME!!

My daughter is going in a locked closet from the age of 12 -- having a daughter is clearly penance for what I was doing at 12-13. (On a serious note, she'll definitely be getting the shots when she's of age.)
  • mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was on the UK trials for the jab, it is a very safe vaccine, minimal reactions and could save lives...or at the least prevent HPV strains 16 and 18...

Would I pay to get it if I hadn't been on the trial? You betcha *kitten* I would.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    you shouldn't blindly trust the media, science, etc... When deciding what to put into your or your kids bodies. Do some research. Its out there.
    I don't think it should be a mandated vaccine. It is a much different type of epidemic than polio or measles. But yes... Hugely contagious and a majority of the population are carriers already. My kids WILL be getting it. My son as well. Makes no sense to vaccinate one sex and not the other. I know there's a lot of hoopla amongst the conservatives about it giving permission for kids to be sexually active. Its not. At all.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    All this talk about Jobs and Cancer made me think about the HPV vaccination. I was curious what people's thoughts are.

I recently read that the main cause of throat cancer is no longer tabacco but due to oral cancer and now they are wondering if the vaccine should be used for boys/men. I personally think that every girl and boy should be vaccinated. In a perfect world our sons and daughters would wait till marriage to have sex and only have one partner but we need to face reality. we live in a world where shows like Jersey Shore make it seem OK to bring people home and smush every weekend.

Anyways just curious what people's thoughts are regarding the vaccine.
    Please be mature about this topic. Just because someone feels differently don't flame them.

This vaccine is a very dangerous vaccine for girls and I don't recommend ANYONE getting this vaccine.