Bring IT! Part III: Team No Excuses in March

Options

Replies

• mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I definitely plan out my meals for around 2-3 days in advance. That way, I know where my calories stand, and it's kind of like a bank. It also helps when you can just wake up, log on really quick, and see what you have on the menu. Less reason to deviate then. :tongue: I also try to prepare my meals a few days at a time, especially lunches, and then portion it into containers. I don't mind eating the same thing for a few days, so it works out and saves time.
  • mgullette
    Options
    Sounds like a few of us had a down day. I get those occasionally, and usually when you get started, you're fine about 10 minutes in. But then there are THOSE days that you just count down the minutes 'til it's over. Yep, that was me a few days ago...

Phoenix, the one thing that I've heard of is feeling a bit flabby when your intramuscular fat starts to diminish. Basically, the subcutaneous fat goes after intramuscular, so when the muscles get deflated, the layers on top are more obvious, therefore a jiggly feeling. Don't talk yourself down like that. Everyone has those days when you just can't seem to get your *kitten* in gear. :noway: It happens to everyone. And hey, it's life. It's allowed to happen a few times. Just as long as it doesn't become a self-fulfilling prophecy, you know? When you're feeling like that is the time you just really have to dig deep to pull yourself out of it before you throw in the towel. There are usually some good choices when you eat out, and maybe you can just let your dad know what you're up to if he questions something healthy that you order. Sometimes we're afraid of what our loved ones will think and say, but oftentimes, we're pleasantly surprised. Actually, when I first started taking my workouts and eating more seriously, my mom would make snide comments and give me dirty looks when I refused to eat what she made. However, I just stuck to my guns and let her know I wasn't going to end up like her or dad, and I would buy and prepare my own food if what she made wasn't appropriate for my plan. She's finally getting it. She still rarely makes anything that I'm willing to eat, but she doesn't make comments anymore. Sometimes I just want to scream, you are KILLING yourselves with all that crap you eat! But that ship has sailed so I selfishly just do what I have to for myself now (and more recently, my brother). It never ceases to amaze/disgust me how my mom doesn't give a hoot at all about what she eats, how much she weighs, or how she's probably only ever exercised twice in her life...:noway:

Anyway, do your best and forget the rest with the eating out. Don't lose sight of your long-term goals for short-term satisfaction at the restaurant. You'll taste that food again someday, but perhaps today is just not that day...

Core Synergistics X done!

M
  • meisje
    meisje Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    pheonix - be PROUD of yourself for going to the gym AT ALL! be proud of getting up in the morning and consciously deciding that this is YOUR BODY and YOUR LIFE and you LOVE it and want to take care of it. be proud of the little things. big things are easy. you should be really proud of yourself for all you have done and continue to do.
    sometimes we have "off days" and i think that sometimes that is because our bodies/minds need a little break. just keep it *little* and get back out there the next day. we have all come so far - remember that, and keep going!!!
    (i'm biking to work, swimming after and then have a run planned this evening - what a fun "work" out day!!!)
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Morning All!
    Up and ready to tackle today planning 40min BL Cardio Max level 2 and 2hr walk ..I just had black bean soup and 2 cups spinach. I hope everyone has a great day and much success!! Im going to try p90x again tomorrow.:drinker:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I'm ready to bring it after a day off yesterday.
    :happy:
    A word about parents(moms)not understanding your healthy food choices:
    It's all very personal. When my kids choose something (anything) different than what I would endorse or promote, it feels like a judgment on my decisions & makes me feel defensive. As if I my choices were bad or wrong, which quickly jumps to "I'm a bad mom." :devil:
    An alternative is for you to bring or make something healthy to introduce them to a healthy treat. Just exposure helps takes the mystery & fear out of clean eating. Don't judge their choices - don't preach - show them. Teach them.
    Some of us have been overweight so long it often feels as if this is who we are - & we forget (or try to) about the risks involved. Love can conquer all. :wink:

I've had a beautiful spring break. I'm going to really lower my calories & step up my workouts this week because next weekend is my birthday & I know we're going out.

My pedometer & BL videos will arrive in a couple of days. I picked a pedometer that goes in my pocket & shows calories burned. I'm excited to see how it works!
    Have a nice Sunday!
  • mgullette
    Options
    Good Morning!

I understand what you mean Georg. However, I really couldn't give a crap what people around me eat. I mean, I just don't care at all. It's not my job to be the food police, but when people b*tch and moan about not being able to lose weight, but don't do research or take the steps to educate themselves, I just want to say, "Please, just quit it. You're boring me with your stupidity." Anything that you want to become good at takes trial and error, practice, and continued learning and improvement. As for my mom, she REALLY just doesn't care. I even try to tell her about what changes we've been making with my brother, and I swear to god she only hears 1/20 words I'm saying. It's like, maybe you don't care, but give your kids a chance at a healthy and fulfilling life, ya know? She seems to have accepted being overweight and unhealthy, and she's accepted that for my siblings as well, blaming it on genetics rather than lifestyle. Please, give me a break! Oh well...I don't judge what she eats, as she just has no clue about calories, portion sizes, etc. and she honestly has no interest in any of it. I'm quite the opposite, but health is of utmost importance to me, whereas she always acts old and tired even though she's only 51. I'd shoot myself in the foot before I acted consistently old and tired at age 51. She's a decent mom, but I do remember that time when I was about 13 and realized that parents don't know everything and they are just as vulnerable and not invincible like the rest of us. An eye-opening moment to say the least.

However, I'm forever the skeptic and take everything everyone ever says with a grain of salt. For every study there is an equal and opposite study, right? I do my best to read, research, and research some more. For the studies I read, I make an effort to find the counterclaims and also take a look at the premises of the study. I just have a curious mind I guess, and I'm always on the search for acquiring more knowledge in all aspects of life.

I'd never say she's a bad mom, but we are just not that involved in each others' lives that much anymore and probably won't be as our interests are far different. I've given up on trying to teach my parents and have instead tried to turn my attention to my siblings. As most of us know, kids are like sponges, and they are more willing to learn and less set in their ways. My little sister always wants to work out with me, but weightlifting is not advised for someone under 14, so I will do Hip Hop Abs with her occasionally. Will work on her eating day by day...

I'm a strong believer in the saying, "You can't outtrain a lousy diet" and I firmly believe that at least 80% of your results come from nutrition. That's why people who eat healthfully but don't work out can normally stay slim, though maybe not fit, whereas people who work out frequently but eat like crap can continue to be fat, although perhaps more fit. It depends what your goals are. Americans especially have a focus on not only being slim but incredibly fit as well, and that's a departure from many other countries. We have gyms everywhere, workout videos, machines, etc. and in France, it's really just unheard of to go to the gym 6x per week.

Well, that was a long rant, but I hope I clarified some points about my feelings...

Bringing it today with KenpoX!
  • JessicaT2007
    JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I am having such a boring weekend! It is boring because all I am doing is homework and studying! That one week of spring break just is not enough. I only have about a month left until finals tho. I just keep telling myself that. I picked up my dress (bridesmaid dress for this summer) yesterday, but have not had the courage to try it on. I have been doing so well and I just do not want to take the chance of bringing myself down right now. I'll probably do it in a couple more weeks.

I worked out this morning at my apt gym. It is really boring and hot in there on a normal day, but today was just so hard to push myself. I was so happy when I finished and stuck with it, but getting there sure was tough! My Ipod died as soon as I went to turn the treadmill speed up to run for the next 40 minutes. That is a reason it was especially hard to stay there and finish. Nothing but me and the mirror to entertain myself. LOL. I did finish it tho!

I just feel so out of it today and not sure why. I think I need to change something up, just not sure what. I'll go to my normal gym tomorrow and kick butt! Hopefully that will get me out of this funk! It is probably my Physics test looming over my head for another week.

I hope everyone has a great rest of the day!
  • Georg
    Options
    ooooooooooooooo:glasses:
    Guess what?!
    I just got off the bike & I went longer at a harder level than usual! It feels great! I just burned 525 calories!
    Do you remember when I was whining about only being able to do 5 min without collapsing?!
    wahoooooo!!!!!!!
  • MyaPapaya75
    Options
    wtg georg!! Jess Im with ya ...I am going to totally boost myself this week as well ...like i always say these are the times when we choose to give in or fight harder.....what makes this time around different is fighting harder....:flowerforyou: Well im off to walk and burn off some stress if i stay out there close to 3hrs then I wont be doing Cardio max...:flowerforyou: my neighbors probably dont realize im out there a full 2hrs hahah they prob think i take the dog out every hr
  • MyaPapaya75
    Options
    Good Morning All! Blah seems I have a cold I havent had one in years so I guess Im due lol Im going to grab some brunch and head out for my walk as early as possible...I hope you guys have a great day!!:drinker:
  • JessicaT2007
    JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I am heading out to the school gym and then to classes from there! It will be a late night, so I will talk to you guys tomorrow! Today is going to be my usual run and elliptical with crazy abs and a stretch. I have to find a dinner while at school tonight so wish me luck. Luckily, they have all sorts of things to choose from. I may stick with the salad bar, dressing on the side. Not sure yet though...

Have a great day!
  • sweetapplepi
    Options
    I'm so glad that everyone has stayed on track thus far. I started a new job, and had finals the same week. I've been trying to juggle work and hw and working out. I'm glad to say that I am back on track with it, and have started a better plan to make everything fit. :bigsmile:
    As far as the "Eat This Not That" book, I wasn't too impressed with it. Some of the items on the "Not That" list really shouldn't have been, because the calories, fat and sugars count were less than the counts of some of the foods on the "Eat This" list. :noway: Not all the foods mentioned were processed either...
    M- How do you avoid processed foods? I eat almost all organic foods, and even that stuff is processed to some extent. Even tofu ( which I LOVE) is made of processed soybeans. Just curious. :smile:
    Already had some of my workouts today, and plan to get a few more in. It's sunny here again and it's time to start pulling out the shorts and mini skirts for me. My hubby and I are going to visit his family in May and I want to be a bit more fit for that trip. I'm sooo excited! I love traveling with my hubby. :smooched:

Happy Monday everyone!
  • Georg
    Options
    It looks like a successful Monday so far!!!!
    I only lost a pound last week, but I am decreasing my calories (& carbs) back down to 1200 this week. My plan is to increase exercise & not eat those calories, in order to eat out this weekend & still lose.
    Half a day down, so far so good!!!!:wink:

breakfast:
    1 egg scrambled with 1/8 c. shredded cheddar & 1 slice (diced) ham
    lunch:
    1 grilled boneless skinless chicken breast
    celery sticks
    peapods
    string cheese
  • mgullette
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Sweet, basically, I cook quick, easy meals for myself. Sometimes I cook a few days meals at a time. I eat eggs, cheese, and a lean meat for breakfast. For snacks, I eat almonds, vegetables, hardboiled eggs, or cheese to go such as string cheese or the land o lakes to go portions. Lunch is usually a medium sized salad with grilled chicken breast or steak (rarely, because it's expensive) with olive oil as a dressing. Dinner is another meat and veggies or salad meal. I keep it quick and simple. I always try to keep a few hardboiled eggs on hand, as well as fresh-sliced deli meat (watch that salt!), grilled chicken, and salad mix. I don't eat bread, pasta, or sugar, and very rarely do I have artificial sweeteners, in the form of Splenda. I limit the sweeteners to 2 or 3 packs per day, as they can trigger cravings for more sweets. I will occasionally have a cup of coffee in the morning, but again, I think caffeine makes me hungrier so I cut it out recently. I only drink water. It sounds like I don't have a big variety, but there are lots of different meat and veggies to choose from, so I don't get bored. Also, seasonings are Mrs. Dash (salt-free) or my favorites, rosemary and thyme. I use olive oil liberally, I'm not and have never been afraid of dietary fat, and I have recently been upping my calories to around 1800. Oh yeah, I also avoid soy products, as they contain estrogen, which encourages fat storage. I would rather eat meat than tofu also.:tongue:

I've lost 7 pounds since I started logging, which I think was February 11, so not really fast, but on track. I definitely cut the carbs way back, and I don't feel as hungry, but I'm paying attention to my body cues and eating if I'm hungry, and stopping when I'm satisfied. It's pretty simple, but it's doing it that's the challenge. I'm a big believer in a lower-carb lifestyle; as in, we just don't need as many carbs as the average american eats, no matter where they come from. Under 100 grams is really sufficient for most people. If your body doesn't use the glucose, it gets stored as, guess what, fat. Especially those trying to drop body fat (umm, all of us). As we get closer to our goals, like within 5-10 pounds, I think it's ok to move towards more carbs because at that point you're supposed to be slowing down your weight loss and moving towards maintenance. I have a long time before I get to that point. I think people just eat too many and try to justify it by staying under their calories. Also, sweets trigger cravings for more sweets. It's a bad cycle. You can definitely lose weight by counting calories alone, but there is a difference in 1200 calories from 10 of those 100 calorie packs and 1200 calories of quality, clean foods with protein and fat combos. I love food too, but keeping it simple does the trick for me. Georg's menu that she posted is quite similar to what I eat. Simple, easy, fast, nutritious.

P.S. The only thing processed that I eat is whey protein powder, as needed for recovery. I haven't been taking them lately, but I do on occasion when I think I'll be sore from heavy lifting.

How is everyone doing today?
  • Georg
    Options
    With my work schedule, I have to plan menus in advance.
    I keep a running grocery list in the kitchen, I shop on Fridays.
    We drink coffee in the mornings, black or with Splenda, then water with a lemon slice the rest of the day.
    My breakfasts are usually the same, because eggs stay with me. I have no time for snacking until late afternoon.
    My weekday lunches are almost always the same because I love it & it's quick to pack & eat.
    We grill the chicken breasts on Sunday afternoons so that every morning I just cut up one piece & trim the veggies.
    Dinners vary, depending on hubby's work schedule. He often grills beef or fish for dinner. If I'm cooking, it might be a taco, fajita, or cobb salad or tacos (fish or chicken or beef.)
    I'm not much of a snacker with low-carb. It really cuts down my cravings & keeps me full. And it really saves $$$ to stay away from the store the rest of the week. No chance for impulse buys.:wink:

What strategies do you use to help you stay with your plan????
  • sweetapplepi
    Options
    Isn't deli meat and cheese still processed in some way? I thought only raw fresh market meat wasn't that processed?
    I didn't know that soy products were supposed to encourage fat storage. Isn't that like tradition to Asian countries where women tend to be smaller? I'm curious because I hadn't ever heard of that before. I've eaten it all my life, and never gained from it. ( drank soy milk, soy cheese, tofu, etc) :flowerforyou:
    Anyways, I finished my workouts today, hw and work. Yaay :bigsmile:
    Great job everyone!! :flowerforyou:
  • MyaPapaya75
    Options
    Good Morning all!! Im still sick today not as bad as yesterday my fever seems to be going away ..Im still going to walk 1hr here on the canal and watch my calories ..Im down to 215 which is crazy lol perhaps its all the sneezing ROFL.....Well Im off to grab me some breakfast probably lentils.....:drinker: Have a good day everyone
  • mgullette
    Options
    Hmm, I think the deli meat might be pressed; even fresh meat has been treated in some salt-preservative. You can't necessarily get completely away from it unless you're butchering your own meat, ya know? As far as the cheese, of course it is processed to some extent, because cheese doesn't occur in nature.:wink: I think American cheese is the most processed (those sandwich slices) and velveeta, which isn't even cheese but cheese product.

As far as the soy, some people love it because it's low-calorie, but others find that it stalls their weight loss. I was given soy milk as an infant because dairy isn't a big industry in Asia. However, soy products aren't my favorite so it's not a problem for me...as far as the women being smaller, I think it's a combination of things, and the soy may or may not be correlated with lower body weights. I don't drink any milk at all so it's hard to say how it effects me. Overweight tendencies are becoming a problem in places like Japan and Korea with the prevalence of "Western" food chains though...
  • mgullette
    Options
    Good Morning all!! Im still sick today not as bad as yesterday my fever seems to be going away ..Im still going to walk 1hr here on the canal and watch my calories ..Im down to 215 which is crazy lol perhaps its all the sneezing ROFL.....Well Im off to grab me some breakfast probably lentils.....:drinker: Have a good day everyone

WTG! You're going to be blowing by me on your way to 120's...you're doing awesome. Are you having any problems with loose skin or anything like that? Or you're probably young enough to have it bounce back right away.

I've always had obvious stretch marks that have faded over time, but my skin scars very easily and I'm worried that the stretch marks will become more obvious as I lose weight...boo.:cry:
  • Georg
    Options
    As young as you girls are, you probably won't have skin issues...
    just don't wait until you're past 50 to get started!!!!
    Stretch marks fade with time anyway.
    :grumble: :mad: :frown: :embarassed: :mad: :grumble:
    I don't think my skin will be able to tighten up now - my legs are getting wrinkly, with only 13 ponds lost!
    eeeewwww!!!!
    :angry:

Moral to the story:
    DO IT NOW!!!!!