I'm really sick :(

Options
kerrilucko
kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
Ok, so it'll be a week tomorrow since I first got sick. At first I thought it was a cold, or maybe the flu because the symptoms were pretty intense. Now I'm not sure:

I have a mild fever, headache, stuffy nose, very sore throat, swollen tonsils, a yucky cough and really swollen lymph nodes. The lymph node thing has me a bit worried- is it normal for them to swell if you have a cold? In kids I think it is but is it in adults? I just feel like crap and I want to get better! Should I go to the clinic or what? They always tell you there's nothing that can be done for a cold or the flu except lots of fluids and rest (which I've BEEN doing for a week!) I don't know what to do :cry:

Replies

• kerrilucko
    Options
    Ok, so it'll be a week tomorrow since I first got sick. At first I thought it was a cold, or maybe the flu because the symptoms were pretty intense. Now I'm not sure:

I have a mild fever, headache, stuffy nose, very sore throat, swollen tonsils, a yucky cough and really swollen lymph nodes. The lymph node thing has me a bit worried- is it normal for them to swell if you have a cold? In kids I think it is but is it in adults? I just feel like crap and I want to get better! Should I go to the clinic or what? They always tell you there's nothing that can be done for a cold or the flu except lots of fluids and rest (which I've BEEN doing for a week!) I don't know what to do :cry:
  • hartkid13
    hartkid13 Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    I'd say you should probably head to the doctor. Between the mild fever and the swollen lymph nodes you should probably get checked out.
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Strep throat maybe? You're presenting exactly how my daughter does every time she has strep throat. She had a fever for eight days. Beginning of it was the flu virus (nothing to be done) but when it didn't get better, and she was tested again, she had strep throat (bacteria). Antibiotics baby! My son currently is starting to have those symptoms. Lymph nodes swollen simply means an infection, not usually anything to worry to much about unless they are extremely painful, and even then it may represent a harsh infection. Go get tested for stress or maybe even a sinus infection. Sounds like you might have a bacterial infection and antibiotics will do you wonders.

Hope you feel better soon :flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    Strep throat maybe? You're presenting exactly how my daughter does every time she has strep throat. She had a fever for eight days. Beginning of it was the flu virus (nothing to be done) but when it didn't get better, and she was tested again, she had strep throat (bacteria). Antibiotics baby! My son currently is starting to have those symptoms. Lymph nodes swollen simply means an infection, not usually anything to worry to much about unless they are extremely painful, and even then it may represent a harsh infection. Go get tested for stress or maybe even a sinus infection. Sounds like you might have a bacterial infection and antibiotics will do you wonders.

the only thing about that is a bacterial infection is not normally accompanied by sneezing, congestion or coughing and I have all 3. My first instinct was strep too but it almost never appears in conjunction with the above syptoms, and I don't have any of the pretty signatory "white spots" on my throat, tongue, or tonsils. I think I will try and get to the clinic today though because I just don't get it, I have never had swollen glands before. They don't HURT, but they look awful. I can SEE them when I look at my face. I considered that it might be Mono because I know that causes sore throat and insanely swollen glands but it doesn't cause any of the others.

ugggggggh

we are so snowed in right now, we had a BIG storm yesterday but perhaps my guy can shovel us out at lunch so I can drive over this afternoon.
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Sounds like strep, but it could also be mono. Strep needs an antibiotic. And mono can drag on for long spells, since its been a week, I'd diff go to the dr. I hope you get to feeling better!:flowerforyou:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    You have all of my tonsilitis symptoms, including the lymph nodes. I still get this as an adult & it knocks me down for a week. WHY do I still have them? Who knows...

That's just me, though. I hope you can get to the dr., Kerri!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    You have all of my tonsilitis symptoms, including the lymph nodes. I still get this as an adult & it knocks me down for a week. WHY do I still have them? Who knows...

That's just me, though. I hope you can get to the dr., Kerri!

Ditto...Doc it is sweety!
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    the only thing about that is a bacterial infection is not normally accompanied by sneezing, congestion or coughing and I have all 3. My first instinct was strep too but it almost never appears in conjunction with the above syptoms, and I don't have any of the pretty signatory "white spots" on my throat, tongue, or tonsils. I think I will try and get to the clinic today though because I just don't get it, I have never had swollen glands before. They don't HURT, but they look awful. I can SEE them when I look at my face. I considered that it might be Mono because I know that causes sore throat and insanely swollen glands but it doesn't cause any of the others.

ugggggggh

we are so snowed in right now, we had a BIG storm yesterday but perhaps my guy can shovel us out at lunch so I can drive over this afternoon.
    My daughter was carrying a virus and bacteria at the same time. Could be you got a double whammy? You poor thing. I agree with everyone. Seven days is too long for a fever. Go get yourself fixed for us and quickly. Let us know how it goes.
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    if it's tonsilittis can they DO anything for it? Do they put you on meds or is it one of those "you'll have to wait it out" illnesses?
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I agree!! Doctor time!

If it's right, they'll give you antibiotics, if not, you'll get something else to feel better.

It sucks being sick ... esp. when you have goals and the sick is getting in the way. Go see the doctor, keep the fluids and rest up, and feel better!!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    if it's tonsilittis can they DO anything for it? Do they put you on meds or is it one of those "you'll have to wait it out" illnesses?

I get put on antibiotics when I get it & usually feel better a couple days later. I'm sorry you're so sick!
  • Lizjkp
    Lizjkp Posts: 278
    Options
    Could be a Viral infection kerrilucko:grumble: I would go to the Doctor asap so that they can either prescribe something for you OR put your mind at rest.:flowerforyou:
    Take care, look after yourself and rest,rest,rest:tongue: ,nothing like rest to help your body heal itself.

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have forgotten how to fly"
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    ok thanks guys, I will try and get there today. Maybe my guy will take the afternoon off to bring me in. I don't know if I''m good to drive like this. :ohwell:
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options

ugggggggh

My sinus infections include sneezing, congestion, and coughing. I used to think it was just a cold, but after a couple of times of fever and feeling so miserable and coughing till you think you are going to throw up, found out that it's a sinus infection. The stuff drains and caused misery outside of the head. Antibiotics all the way for that! Good luck!
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    I have an appointment for 2pm today- it was the earliest I could get. I was reviewing my symptoms and I think I might have "just a cold" AND something else. And I'm sort of thinking that something else might be pneumonia or mono. Either way, not good. I'll let you guys know how it goes this afternoon.
  • ricksnaustin
    ricksnaustin Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I can tell you a common cold can turn into strep. Also, I had it 2 years ago and never exhibited the classic white spots in the back of the throat. Even the Dr. said she didn't think I had strep but did a culture anyway. Next day she called and said, "Yep you got it." and called a Rx in for an antibiotic. Hope you feel better soon!!!
  • PDraxten
    PDraxten Posts: 8
    Options
    GO TO THE DOCTOR !!!!!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I have had the same crap all week!!

I am FINALLY going to see my doc this morning. Being preggo too, colds tend to drag on!! UGH!

I think I may have a sinus infection or something now!

Yes, GET in, Don't let it drag on!
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I have an appointment for 2pm today- it was the earliest I could get.

Good luck! Hope you get well soon :flowerforyou: . Do keep us posted!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Get well soon!