Diet Pills! Anyone taking any?

Options

Replies

• rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    ::puts on a helmet & grabs the popcorn::

haha, exactly!
    Hope the popcorn is low-cal ;). I'm doing the same.

air-popped!
  • soonergirl07
    Options
    I am on a Doctor regulated diet program called Phenpro. Its a mix of Phentermine and Prozac and it works. I started taking it on September 17th and I have lost 15.7 pounds thus far. It gives you energy while curbing your appitite. I eat less than my five year old now. If I push it I eat around 1200 calories, but most of the time I average around 1000. You have to exercise thought. Cutting calories alone will not do it. I walk everyday for a minimum of thrity minutes but most often I walk a lot longer. Its not something you can take forever. You have to learn how to lead a healthy lifestyle while on it. It is a prescription, though not super exspensive. I have heard that Alli works too. That maybe suitable for long periods of time.

Hope it helps.:flowerforyou:
  • ginique
    ginique Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Back when I was looking for The Quick Fix, I took some green tea fat burner pills. All they did was make my heart feel like it was going to beat out of my chest. Having that "energy boost" did not inspire me to actually get up and exercise, nor did it correct the bad habits I had with food. Eventually, I decided to stop wasting money, buckle down and do it the slowly-but-surely way. Plus, this is a lifestyle change for me, and I don't want to rely on diet pills for the rest of my life. It's all on me.

To each their own. Good luck to you, and be safe. :)
  • crobinson53
    Options
    I use green tea extract from WOW Foods. It may be mental but I think it helps me lose weight.

http://www.prosource.net/product_details.aspx?item_guid=6FD273C1-1382-4592-9103-F01C6526A477

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/gtea.htm
  • JsGirl93
    JsGirl93 Posts: 1,156
    Options
    No. Honestly I came here not only to lose weight, but to become strong and healthy. I honestly don't think that can be achieved with pills, even coupled with a healthy diet. I have never spoke with anyone that had what I call a "diet pill" mentality, make the real, lasting changes needed for a lifelong healthy weightloss. "Diet Pill" mentality being "Yeah, yeah, I'll eat right & exercise, but if I pop this pill I'll lose weight FASTER!". Not saying this applies to OP, just my observation. Fact, if you have a lotof weight to lose, it going to take a while. Pills may give you short term energy, but what about longterm? Proper diet & exercise are the best sources of energy.

Speech over. :: gets off of soapbox, takes a bow ::
  • nomorefatbitch
    Options
    Please line up for tickets in an orderly manner. Thank you.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I have been taking both subitramine and rimonabant. now you can't take these at the same time!!
    I go in shifts. 4 weeks on subitramine and only 3 on rimonabant. The last week is my recover week, or as I call it my cheat week.
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    BEST ADVICE, DO IT THE HEALTHY WAY, PILLS MIGHT HELP FOR SHORT TERM BUT AS SOON AS YOU R OFF OF THEM , YOU WILL MOST LIKELY SEE THE SCALE MOVE BACK UP RATHER FAST. WORK ON CHANGING YOUR HABITS!
  • GambleGurl
    Options
    My Aunt used to work for GNC and she took SlimQuick which is for women and she did awesome on it!
  • GambleGurl
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your insights!!!
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Ive said this many many many times before. I used to make it really drawn out and long, but I now make this post very short

Im a pharmacy major
    I sell diet pills
    Diet pills are one of 4 things:
    1. Caffine - does not give you more energy, but allows your body to access energy quicker
    2. Diuretics - makes you pee
    3. Laxatives - .....
    4. Appetite Suppressant

All of those above will not make you have any long term success with weight loss. OTC suppressants are not that powerful, and can have some pretty adverse effects on you.

Drugs that do cause weight loss, without any real change to diet:
    1. Cocaine
    2. Heroin
    3. Methamphetamine or Ectasy

All of the above are the only drugs that will cause costistant weight loss without any change to life style, but are obviously all extremely dangerous and addictive illegal narcotics. I do not recommend these at all.

Some meal replacers are not to bad, but the problem is many people take meal replacements, and then eat on top of that, which is even worse for you.

The real secret to weight loss is diet and exercise. Hate to say it, but even though we sell diet pills where I work, I am strongly against their use.
  • fairygirl716
    Options
    I am on a Doctor regulated diet program called Phenpro. Its a mix of Phentermine and Prozac and it works. I started taking it on September 17th and I have lost 15.7 pounds thus far. It gives you energy while curbing your appitite. I eat less than my five year old now. If I push it I eat around 1200 calories, but most of the time I average around 1000. You have to exercise thought. Cutting calories alone will not do it. I walk everyday for a minimum of thrity minutes but most often I walk a lot longer. Its not something you can take forever. You have to learn how to lead a healthy lifestyle while on it. It is a prescription, though not super exspensive. I have heard that Alli works too. That maybe suitable for long periods of time.

Um....the pill isn't what is causing the loss. You are eating less...duh. And Exercising. I'm not trying to sound snotty...(even though I know it does) But, c'mon...seriously. If you are eating less and exercersing...why do you need to pollute your body with toxins?

Besides...stop taking the pills and you'll revert right back to your old horrible habits and gain the weight back. Do it right and learn the right way to eat and you'll lose it forever!

Also, let me add...I lost 15 lbs my first 2 weeks eating right and exercising. 90 lbs in 12 months and 96 in 14 months
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I have tried a couple and they did reduce my appetite quite a bit, but they made me super jittery and anxious. The pills just felt like they were "too much" for me, and I kept picturing myself dropping dead from a heart attack just because I wanted to lose the weight quicker... I stopped taking them shortly after I thought about that.

These days I stick to natural thermogenics-- like green tea and cayenne pepper (not together-- haha, but I love spicy food).

For energy, I love the occasional 5 Hour Energy shot--- they give me a really noticeable boost, but I don't have that jittery, anxiety feeling like I had with the diet pills.

Plus, pills are just not in the budget... they're quite expensive (at least for me).
  • _Ben
    Options

Um....the pill isn't what is causing the loss. You are eating less...duh. And Exercising. I'm not trying to sound snotty...(even though I know it does) But, c'mon...seriously. If you are eating less and exercersing...why do you need to pollute your body with toxins?

Besides...stop taking the pills and you'll revert right back to your old horrible habits and gain the weight back. Do it right and learn the right way to eat and you'll lose it forever!

What I think she is trying to say is the pill is helping her. Phenteramine works on the hypothalamus, activating the release of norepinephrine, which is associated with the Fight-or-Flight response, which causes a decrease in appetite. The prozac is an SSRI which helps stabilize moods, and is making her have more energy and motivation to be able to exercise and eat less.

With this pill she would be able to get down to her goal weight, while her body gets used to a diet of 1000-1200 calories, so even off the pill, though she will have a bit higher appetite, her stomach and metabolism will only crave around that range of calories. Just the same, at her goal weight, she will be able to slightly increase her calorie amount to a more stable maintenance level, maybe of like 1500-1700 calories.

Prescription weightloss pills, IF MONITORED BY A DOCTOR AND PRESCRIBED FOR VALID REASONS, can work great, but you need to make sure you and your doctor communicate on this topic. Its OTC diet pills that really are not worth very much
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    There should be a pill that just causes mild nausea.
  • _Ben
    Options
    There should be a pill that just causes mild nausea.

Mild nausea just in general, or when you do something in particular?

Disulfiram causes severe headaches, nausea, and vomiting if you drink even a little bit of alcohol
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    ::puts on a helmet & grabs the popcorn::

word.

NO WAY, JOSE!!!
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I've used them in the past. They are a waste of money! TRUST ME!
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Diet pills scare the crap out of me. Seems like you'll see advertisements for a particular pill and then, 6 months or a year later, you'll see advertisements from lawyers' offices about how that pill caused a serious health problem. Noooo thank you.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Phentermine is great. But its a script.

But that's not something you can take every day for the rest of the your life either.

I was prescribed Phentermine by my endocrinologist when I began my weight-loss. I was already making the change to eat healthy and exercise regularly. Phentermine speeds your metabolism and suppresses the appetite. You can only stay on it for about 3 months at a time. Its effectiveness is gradually reduced over time. They're bad for your heart, raise your blood pressure. I followed my doctor's care with the Phentermine, I lost 35lb about 3 years ago gained a little back but managed to lose it all and then some on my own.

If you're (general) going to be honest with yourself about the fact that your poor eating habits and lack of activity are to blame for being overweight and you're willing to commit to changing that for life, obviously, you can use a diet pill to aid you in the weight loss. In my case, my doctor was trying to treat another condition that was exacerbated by my weight. Make sure your prescriptions are legit and you're under a doctor's care when taking them. As a quick-fix, diet pills don't keep you slim for very long.