Fab Foodies WEEK 2 CHALLENGE THREAD! Oct 9 - Oct 15 2011, CL

Options
WEEK 2 CHALLENGES!!!

Exercise for a total of 245 minutes!

Stay under on water and calories to avoid losing points!

I have almost everyones points for last week. A couple of you will need to unlock your diary or send me the information so I can figure out your points.

BONUS POINTS FOR THE WEEK:
During a workout do a 5K in distance.
Try a new food that you have never tried before and post your opinion on it in this thread!

THURSDAY-SAT WILL BE THE FIRST GROUP UP CHALLENGE. GROUPS WILL BE POSTED SOON!

I AM SORRY I HAVEN'T BEEN ON MUCH. ALMOST CAUGHT UP AT WORK AND ALMOST 100% after my surgery. I feel a ton better. Points are added up, and I will be more active. I have to be, stepped on the scale and I've gained a pound back! First time ever I've gained weight on this weight loss mission.

Replies

• cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    yippee! week two!

I feel you on the scale JR! I hate mine this week! Glad to see you are feeling better
  • smd819882
    Options
    can you do this challange is exercise if off limits secondary to an injury? I do resistance bands at home and dumb bell weights. I know this is already week two but can I join?
  • Lori_menorahlover
    Options
    Anina that is INCREDIBLE about your run time!!!!! SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!:flowerforyou: :drinker: :bigsmile:

JR you will lose that extra pound no problem. You've been through a lot lately. :flowerforyou:

I hit my goal weight weight of 125 this am but not happy so going to set a new goal of 115.

Have a blessed and productive day everyone! :heart:
  • la_nanita
    la_nanita Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to join this group in the 2nd week? I was actually reading your 1st week's thread and it seems like the kind of group I can get into.

BTW JR, I hope you are recovering well after having your appendix out.
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Alright week two here we go!!!

? so you want us to stay UNDER our water???? I will lose LOTS of points if that is the case I drink A LOT of water.

Jr glad you are feeling better now!

Lori- Great job hitting your goal weight! Good for you for pushing yourself a little farther :)
  • faye_daisy
    Options
    I think he meant over on water under on calories, I have lost 3 pounds this week. i got over my hump :drinker: yay. Glad to see ur doing better JR, I tried my something new not healthy but yummy lol fried pickles. I will look for something new to try this week :laugh:
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i've done terribly with exercise and eating this week. i lost 1.2 lbs so i finally hit the 30 lb lost mark (yay!) but my body feels disgusting. i still haven't fully recovered from my bout with a stomach virus (if that's even what it was)...it wasn't a parasite and i truly don't think it was a virus. i can't get in to see a doctor until 10/17 either...in which case i will probably get referred to a GI doctor. i feel better than i did, but not 100% better.

the good news is, i'm hungry and thirsty and in general am managing to keep things down. the bad news is my body just wants unhealthy things to eat, which i am obliging it too much with. i am going to plan meals the week though and hope it helps. hubby and i have also been eating out far too much.

exercise wise, it's difficult...i tire easily (when i normally didn't before) and if i move too fast my stomach gets upset. i am going to the gym if it kills me tomorrow, though!!
  • cantjustcant
    Options
    OK food challenge down! I tried hummus! Everyone had talked so highly of it so I had bought some earlier last week and couldn't get up the gumption to put it in my mouth. So tonight for dinner I tried it. It wasn't too bad...wasn't great either. I think it's the texture that I didn't care for. Anyways...I will try it again on Monday and see if it is any different!
  • Mary_wants2bfit
    Options
    yay week 2~ last week went well until Sunday and we had a wine festival where I live......lets just say I drank more than I should have and made some bad food choices.....but today is a new day and I'm sitting down for lunch of raw carrot and celery and dipping it in hummus! My weigh day isn't until Wednesday so hopefully I didn't do too much damage yesterday!

With the 5k distance for bonus points does biking count? Or just walking or running?
  • heaverchell
    heaverchell Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Glad you are feeling better :) I know how it is with trying to get caught up. My son was admitted into the hospital for most of last week so I didn't get anything done either. With him being so young, I only left the room once while we were there.

But I am excited to get back to it!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    yay week 2~ last week went well until Sunday and we had a wine festival where I live......lets just say I drank more than I should have and made some bad food choices.....but today is a new day and I'm sitting down for lunch of raw carrot and celery and dipping it in hummus! My weigh day isn't until Wednesday so hopefully I didn't do too much damage yesterday!

With the 5k distance for bonus points does biking count? Or just walking or running?

Walking and running for the 5k bonus points. If you are biking then 15 miles will be about the same.
  • med79
    med79 Posts: 288
    Options
    WooHooo! Week one bites the dust :)
    We can do this people! One day at a time :):):)
    :smooched: Marie
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    OKAY PEOPLE!! It's go time. I'm going to be on you like white on rice! Like a numerator on a denominator!!!

I took my little break, I didn't even log calories yesterday (I ate responsibly) I went to bed early, and I didn't go to the gym.... That sounds like a disaster but I feel recharged. This is the point where I usually give up on my diet and go back to my old ways. My wife was awesome and stopped me from getting a Soda Saturday at the Zoo.

I am going to push twice as hard so I don't fall into the trap. WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    MY RECIPE'S

SORRY ABOUT THIS. I thought I had posted them already but apparently I'm crazy. Thanks for the PM about them!

TURNIP FRIES (8 CALORIES AN OUNCE!!!!!!)

2 medium turnips, cut into equal sized sticks
    1 Large Potato, cut into equal sized sticks
    Spray Olive Oil
    Seasonings and flavors (I like just salt)

Preheat the oven to 400.
    Spray the turnip sticks in with the oil and seasonings. I use a dusting of spray olive oil. If you have a waxed turnip then you will want to sit the turnip in hot water for a few minutes to remove the wax. If you like extra crispy fries leave the outer skin on the vegetables. If you like wiggly fries then take the outer skins off.
    Cook them for about 30 minutes, turning half way through.

I have found a great thing to do with these fries is I use a CAJUN BBQ seasoning I get from whole foods that makes them very delicious. Pair this up with 96/4 Ground Beef burgers and you have a meal that is much much lower than anything you will get from a restaurant!
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    Wonton Cup Shepard Pies!!

I got this recipe from the Hungry Girl cook book! (I have all her cookbooks and they are amazing!)

PER SERVING (1/6th of recipe, 2 mini pies): 170 calories, 3g fat, 450mg sodium, 24g carbs, 1.5g fiber, 2g sugars, 10g protein -- PointsPlus® value 4*

Ingredients:
    12 small square wonton wrappers (stocked with the tofu in the refrigerated section of the market)
    1 cup instant mashed potato flakes
    1/2 tbsp. light whipped butter or light buttery spread (like Brummel & Brown)
    1/4 tsp. plus 1/8 tsp. salt, divided
    1/4 tsp. black pepper, divided
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    8 oz. raw lean ground turkey
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    3/4 cup fat-free turkey gravy
    1 1/2 cups frozen petite mixed vegetables

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray. Place each wonton wrapper into a cup of the muffin pan, and press it into the bottom and sides. Set aside.

In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine potato flakes with 1 1/2 cups hot water and stir until moistened. Add butter, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Mix well and set aside.

Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat on the stove. Add onion and cook until softened, 3 - 4 minutes.

Raise heat to medium-high. Add turkey, garlic powder, remaining 1/8 tsp. salt, and remaining 1/8 tsp. pepper. Cook and crumble for 4 - 5 minutes, until turkey is fully cooked.

If needed, carefully drain any excess liquid from the skillet. Evenly distribute turkey mixture among the wontons in the muffin cups, about 1 tbsp. each. Top each with 1 tbsp. gravy.

Evenly distribute frozen veggies among the cups, about 2 tbsp. each, followed by the potato mixture, about 1 tbsp. each. Bake in the oven until the tops are slightly crispy and brown, about 15 minutes.

Allow to cool slightly. Then serve and enjoy!

MAKES 6 SERVINGS
  • cantjustcant
    Options
    My 10 year old and I did our weekly Sunday night walk together last night....It's a 3.4 mile loop and we add an extra .5 mile every week. Last night he said, you know when we started these you couldn't keep up with me and now it's hard to keep up with you, He also uttered the now famous words when I finished his school's two mile run/walk for wellness.... I guess all this working out crap is starting to pay off for you
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    Cheesy Chicken Tarantuladas

ANOTHER HUNGRY GIRL RECIPE MY FAMILY LOVES!!!

PER SERVING (1 enchilada): 288 calories, 4.25g fat, 848mg sodium, 21.5g carbs, 2.25g fiber, 4g sugars, 37.5g protein -- PointsPlus® value 7*

Ingredients:
    8 oz. raw boneless skinless lean chicken breast
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese, divided
    1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. green enchilada sauce, divided
    2 large corn tortillas (like Mission Super Size)
    3 pitted black olives
    Optional toppings: fat-free sour cream, chopped scallions

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside.

Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat on the stove. Add chicken and cook for 4 minutes per side, or until mostly cooked.

Add onion to the skillet and cook until chicken is cooked through and onion begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Set aside.

Once chicken is cool enough to handle, place in a bowl and shred using two forks -- one to hold the chicken in place and the other to scrape across the meat. (Or just finely chop and transfer to a bowl.)

Add onion, 1/4 cup cheese, and 2 tbsp. enchilada sauce to the bowl with the chicken. Mix well and set aside.

Heat tortillas in the microwave for about 15 seconds, until slightly warm. Lay tortillas flat, and evenly distribute chicken mixture between the centers. Wrap the tortillas up tightly, and place them in the baking pan with the seam sides down.

Pour remaining 1/2 cup enchilada sauce over the enchiladas. Bake in the oven until hot, about 10 minutes.

Evenly sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cheese over the enchiladas. Bake in the oven until cheese has melted, about 2 more minutes. Plate and set aside.

Cut one olive in half lengthwise, and place one half on top of each enchilada. Cut remaining two olives in half lengthwise, and cut each half into four strips. Place eight strips around each olive half on the enchiladas, forming 8 "legs" for each tarantula. If you like, top with sour cream and scallions. (Just don't smother your adorable olive spiders.) TADA! Tarantuladas!

MAKES 2 SERVINGS
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    My 10 year old and I did our weekly Sunday night walk together last night....It's a 3.4 mile loop and we add an extra .5 mile every week. Last night he said, you know when we started these you couldn't keep up with me and now it's hard to keep up with you, He also uttered the now famous words when I finished his school's two mile run/walk for wellness.... I guess all this working out crap is starting to pay off for you

AWESOME!!!! Good to hear! I am doing a 5K in Kansas City, MO this weekend! It'll be a huge accomplishment as 3 months ago I could barely walk up stairs.

Kick it in the rear!
  • cantjustcant
    Options

AWESOME!!!! Good to hear! I am doing a 5K in Kansas City, MO this weekend! It'll be a huge accomplishment as 3 months ago I could barely walk up stairs.

Kick it in the rear!

My first official 5K race will be next Tuesday in mDayton Ohio...Ghosts and Goblins! I have a friend in Cincinnati that is coming up to do the race with me. I will be walking most of it because of how many people enter. And I am doing it in costume!
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

Kick it in the rear!

My first official 5K race will be next Tuesday in mDayton Ohio...Ghosts and Goblins! I have a friend in Cincinnati that is coming up to do the race with me. I will be walking most of it because of how many people enter. And I am doing it in costume!

WE HAVE TO HAVE PICTURES!