20 Habits Skinny People Live By....

Options
2»

Replies

• MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with some of them. For instance, I don't think one should weigh himself/herself daily. Weight fluctuates with water, and weighing in too often is tedious. When done once a week, you can see a noticeable change in weight. I also disagree with eating boring meals. Meals, in my opinion, are better with more variety. Variety doesn't necessarily mean unhealthy.

I weigh myself every day so that I know what I need to do in the gym or my diet to keep my weight going down. But, that's the control freak in me. :laugh:
  • 10fairywings
    10fairywings Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This controversial one works for me:
    Weighing myself daily keeps me honest about my weight but also prevents me from freaking out about my weight. Yes, you read that right- I get less anxious if I weigh myself daily and record it. Why? Because if I weigh myself daily I will get a feel for my fluctuation patterns and why. I don't freak out if I'm 3lbs up from the last weigh-in because I know my weight will probably go back down by the next morning. I will only freak out if I stay that way for more than a few days and by freak out I mean I will make changes.

I agree, weighing often seems to work for me, I do know my weight fluctuates based on all kinds of factors - because I see it do so! It helps me stay conscious of my weight goals to "keep an eye on things".
    Edit: BTW I don't even count calories, so please don't think just because one person prefers one way over another suddenly makes them obsessive and/or eating disordered: <- Comment directed towards 10fairywings

I could only get half-way through the list. "Things Skinny People Do!" Oh please.... lol, sounds absurd to me. How about "20 helpful tips to living a healthier life" But maybe everyone's goal is just to be skinny, and be like everyone else? Hmm.

Weighing yourself everyday is a complete waste of time, and is obsessive whether you can admit that or not, it is exactly the same process as eating chocolate everyday and having to an obsessive urge to do something of no benefit you do not need to do. Weight fluctuations happen to every human being on the planet daily, when you are monitoring your weight for weight loss or maintenance these fluctuations will balance out over the course of the week, the main one being morning to evening, everyone can put on up to half a stone in a day if they have a splurge, it make no odds if you don't then for the rest of the week, which is why you weigh yourself once per week on the same morning at roughly the same time naked to get a true reading of your weight. Some, like yourselves may do reasonably well doing this and not develop further problems, but you are in the minority and I feel it is totally wrong to advocate this in any way.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

Weighing yourself everyday is a complete waste of time, and is obsessive whether you can admit that or not, it is exactly the same process as eating chocolate everyday and having to an obsessive urge to do something of no benefit you do not need to do.

Uh oh. I have an obsessive urge to weigh myself AND eat chocolate every day. Hmmmm.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Weighing yourself everyday is a complete waste of time, and is obsessive whether you can admit that or not, it is exactly the same process as eating chocolate everyday and having to an obsessive urge to do something of no benefit you do not need to do.

Uh oh. I have an obsessive urge to weigh myself AND eat chocolate every day. Hmmmm.
    Me too! haha
    Didn't read the whole list but #1 is complete bogus. I eat most of my calories after 8 PM and I'm in better shape than most. Another idiot thinking that you can draw meaningful conclusions from correlational studies.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Weighing yourself everyday is a complete waste of time, and is obsessive whether you can admit that or not, it is exactly the same process as eating chocolate everyday and having to an obsessive urge to do something of no benefit you do not need to do. Weight fluctuations happen to every human being on the planet daily, when you are monitoring your weight for weight loss or maintenance these fluctuations will balance out over the course of the week, the main one being morning to evening, everyone can put on up to half a stone in a day if they have a splurge, it make no odds if you don't then for the rest of the week, which is why you weigh yourself once per week on the same morning at roughly the same time naked to get a true reading of your weight. Some, like yourselves may do reasonably well doing this and not develop further problems, but you are in the minority and I feel it is totally wrong to advocate this in any way.

Weighing yourself daily is "EXACTLY" the same thing as eating chocolate every day? :laugh: :laugh: OK....

As long as you weigh yourself at the same part of the day, there is nothing wrong with doing it daily. There is no balancing out over the course of the week as you describe it because these weight fluctuations that you describe can happen on any day of the week...and are caused primarily by the amount of sodium and carbohydrates you had the prior day. For a person in maintenance mode, what makes you think a weekly reading will be any more accurate than a daily reading? What if you weigh every Monday.... the accuracy of that weekly weigh in would depend on the nature of what you had on Sunday. The same would be true for daily weigh ins.... your weight the next morning (after voiding and taking off your clothes) would be somewhat dependent on how much salt and carbohydrate you had the previous day.

I understand your position.... it's just that these strong, absolutist positions (accompanied by a ludicrous analogy) rub me the wrong way. As with so many aspects of fitness and nutrition, the better answer to whether or not you should weigh yourself daily is, "it depends".
  • TK421NotAtPost
    Options
    Out of the 20 habits mentioned, I think the only one I agree or actually notice via casual observation is the one where skinny people chew their food thoroughly. I have a few skinny friends and I always notice how their the last ones to finish their meals. They seem to actually struggle to get all the food down and almost never clean their plates.

Plus, I'm not so sure the thorough chewing is a habit. It seems to be more like they are unable to consume their food quickly. My girlfriend is an extremely slow eater. I'm usually finishing up my entire dinner while my girlfriend is chatting away....hardly even nibbling her food. She's usually full after just a few bites...
  • Sunny_Lexie
    Options
    bump

=)
  • 10fairywings
    Options

Me too I obsessively go to the gym, and I obsessively eat a certain way, to a certain extent you need to be obsessive in areas to achieve what you want. I am also obsessive about my career. But I am prepared to admit it as you have lol! To say I do this that and the other religiously and I feel bad if I don't do it but i am not obsessive at all, is a complete contradiction.
  • 10fairywings
    Options

Me too! haha
    Didn't read the whole list but #1 is complete bogus. I eat most of my calories after 8 PM and I'm in better shape than most. Another idiot thinking that you can draw meaningful conclusions from correlational studies.

Couldn't agree more, my before bed supper is the best of the day I love it! Plus it feeds my body all night and is a healthy way to go for sure!
  • 10fairywings
    Options

Weighing yourself daily is "EXACTLY" the same thing as eating chocolate every day? :laugh: :laugh: OK....

As long as you weigh yourself at the same part of the day, there is nothing wrong with doing it daily. There is no balancing out over the course of the week as you describe it because these weight fluctuations that you describe can happen on any day of the week...and are caused primarily by the amount of sodium and carbohydrates you had the prior day. For a person in maintenance mode, what makes you think a weekly reading will be any more accurate than a daily reading? What if you weigh every Monday.... the accuracy of that weekly weigh in would depend on the nature of what you had on Sunday. The same would be true for daily weigh ins.... your weight the next morning (after voiding and taking off your clothes) would be somewhat dependent on how much salt and carbohydrate you had the previous day.

I understand your position.... it's just that these strong, absolutist positions (accompanied by a ludicrous analogy) rub me the wrong way. As with so many aspects of fitness and nutrition, the better answer to whether or not you should weigh yourself daily is, "it depends".

I have been working in this industry for many years as a sports nutritionist and gym instructor and nutritional researcher to the armed forces and general public and there are direct correlations between obessesive calorie counting and wieghing daily to forming obsessive tendancies in eating behaviours with negative reults. What your saying is absolutely correct if the person is not at all dedicated to eating a healthy balanced diet every day following correct macros and in this case why bother weighing yourself at all. My postion comes from advocating a healthy balanced diet every day where there would be little alteration in weight each day, and if you went somewhere nice and had a splurge you know you have done it and it will alter this so you rectify it throughout the rest of your week. You are also right that absolutist methodology has flaws which is why I would also advocate personal programmes to consider chemical balances in individuals, but as a rule of thumb this practice is not supported by any professional. I apologise for rubbing you up the wrong way with what you described as ludicrous analogy I haven't pulled it out of the sky, I am a professional in my field of expertise and therefore my analgy has come from years of research and experience, where did your analogy come from?
  • freeofweight
    Options
    Very good tips! Been doing a lot of them!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    and there are direct correlations between obessesive calorie counting and wieghing daily to forming obsessive tendancies in eating behaviours with negative reults. What your saying is absolutely correct if the person is not at all dedicated to eating a healthy balanced diet every day following correct macros and in this case why bother weighing yourself at all. My postion comes from advocating a healthy balanced diet every day where there would be little alteration in weight each day, and if you went somewhere nice and had a splurge you know you have done it and it will alter this so you rectify it throughout the rest of your week.

I'm curious, by "rectify it throughout the rest of your week", wouldn't you be punishing yourself for enjoying yourself?

Sorry if I've got this wrong, it's early. :wink: I do agree that there are many here with obsessive tendencies, not sure if it isn't control issues though. Personally, I've never paid so much attention to my diet before joining this site. I eat what I eat, without analyzing my options. I list it in my food diary after I'm done and pleased when I've come close to the macros. I do, however, think about the choices I make while shopping for food. I guess there's too many other things I'd rather think about, but I've always been skinny so it's never been a priority.

Maybe that's a "habit" of skinny people, not thinking about food all day. :laugh:
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    If I eat an early dinner, I need another dinner.
  • leylaaa87
    Options

I have been working in this industry for many years as a sports nutritionist and gym instructor and nutritional researcher to the armed forces and general public and there are direct correlations between obessesive calorie counting and wieghing daily to forming obsessive tendancies in eating behaviours with negative reults. What your saying is absolutely correct if the person is not at all dedicated to eating a healthy balanced diet every day following correct macros and in this case why bother weighing yourself at all. My postion comes from advocating a healthy balanced diet every day where there would be little alteration in weight each day, and if you went somewhere nice and had a splurge you know you have done it and it will alter this so you rectify it throughout the rest of your week. You are also right that absolutist methodology has flaws which is why I would also advocate personal programmes to consider chemical balances in individuals, but as a rule of thumb this practice is not supported by any professional. I apologise for rubbing you up the wrong way with what you described as ludicrous analogy I haven't pulled it out of the sky, I am a professional in my field of expertise and therefore my analgy has come from years of research and experience, where did your analogy come from?

I have to agree wholeheartedly with TK421NotAtPost- once a week reading cannot be more accurate than daily readings because of fluctuations. And while I agree weighing oneself everyday can become obsessive in some people, I'm not entirely convinced that this is true of most people who weigh themselves daily. Some people are just more vigilant about certain things, such as some people must wipe down their countertops everyday. Is that obsessive or are they just maintaining their kitchen to a certain standard? I don't do it and yet I don't call it obsessive. I actually admire that discipline.

And if professional opinions were all magically right and we all listened to them, why is the Western world so fat? I'm sorry to say that while I respect the schooling and experience you have, your word is not the be-all end-all. Especially when professionals have their own weight issues :-(
  • prdough
    prdough Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, before I work out, after I work out and before I go to bed. It helps me stay focused. I know fluctuations happen, but it helps to keep me motivated.

I don't think when the author said to "eat boring" he meant to eat bland food. If you read it, it just says to establish routines. I eat eggs and tuna almost every morning, every lunch I have a protein bar and a 6 inch subway turkey or salad. I can see where if i ate something different every day it would be much more challenging to track my calories, portion sizes, etc. granted 2-3 times a week my breakfast or dinner will be a little different. But otherwise all of those points have been working for me to lose!
  • 10fairywings
    Options
    and there are direct correlations between obessesive calorie counting and wieghing daily to forming obsessive tendancies in eating behaviours with negative reults. What your saying is absolutely correct if the person is not at all dedicated to eating a healthy balanced diet every day following correct macros and in this case why bother weighing yourself at all. My postion comes from advocating a healthy balanced diet every day where there would be little alteration in weight each day, and if you went somewhere nice and had a splurge you know you have done it and it will alter this so you rectify it throughout the rest of your week.

I'm curious, by "rectify it throughout the rest of your week", wouldn't you be punishing yourself for enjoying yourself?

Sorry if I've got this wrong, it's early. :wink: I do agree that there are many here with obsessive tendencies, not sure if it isn't control issues though. Personally, I've never paid so much attention to my diet before joining this site. I eat what I eat, without analyzing my options. I list it in my food diary after I'm done and pleased when I've come close to the macros. I do, however, think about the choices I make while shopping for food. I guess there's too many other things I'd rather think about, but I've always been skinny so it's never been a priority.

Maybe that's a "habit" of skinny people, not thinking about food all day. :laugh:

I think you're right, I had never been over weight until I got sick, but it was for a reason if you know what I mean. I'd never had to think about food before then. But I have always eaten in the most part a healthy diet.

I agree you would be punishing yourself for enjoying yourself in a way, but I guess you make the decision to do it with that in mind, to be honest I can't see how one day would be that dreadful, I do it, because of the way I eat sometimes you go somewhere and they don't have the right foods rather than starve I eat what is there, then the rest of the week I go back to normal, I don't make any changes, and it doesn't make a lot of difference.
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents, but after reading all of these "habits" I still think that the key to it all is more related to activity than diet. I mean, sure, eating a dozen doughnuts a day is dumb and will, in turn, make your stomach look vaguely cruller-like, but I gained a lot of weight eating whole grains, not eating late, having routine meals, and generally really caring about the quality of what went into my mouth. My problem was that I just wasn't moving enough, because I honestly just don't care for exercising (and 20 pounds later, I still don't, but I am trying to be a mature adult and get over it).

There are some good tips in here, but they aren't going to apply to everyone - and that's the idea. Take from it what is useful to you. I have never understood how someone can take an opinion on something fairly banal (like "you should eat breakfast everyday") and respond with "ZOMG BREAKFAST IS THE WORST EVER NO ONE SHOULD EAT IT." (Hyperbole, yes, but we've all seen people respond similarly in these forums over dumb stuff.)
  • 10fairywings
    Options

I have to agree wholeheartedly with TK421NotAtPost- once a week reading cannot be more accurate than daily readings because of fluctuations. And while I agree weighing oneself everyday can become obsessive in some people, I'm not entirely convinced that this is true of most people who weigh themselves daily. Some people are just more vigilant about certain things, such as some people must wipe down their countertops everyday. Is that obsessive or are they just maintaining their kitchen to a certain standard? I don't do it and yet I don't call it obsessive. I actually admire that discipline.

And if professional opinions were all magically right and we all listened to them, why is the Western world so fat? I'm sorry to say that while I respect the schooling and experience you have, your word is not the be-all end-all. Especially when professionals have their own weight issues :-(

I have alreay commented on osessive behaviours sometimes being beneficial above, so I won't go over it again.

But in answer to your last question The Western World has an obesity problem for two reasons, one is that most Government guidlines are unfortunately wrong. Two; people generally have information and know how to lose weight, they for whatever reason just don't act.

I agree that some professional opinion can be suspect, number one above proves that, and everyone is entilted to their opinion but before an opinion is given to a large audience I feel it should be based on a good knowledge base that's all. I couldn't agree more about the weight issue comment, I have not done various exercise classes in the past when met with a clearly overweight trainer it doesn't give you much hope for weight loss or a good calorific burn if they're doing it several times per day and are still overweight. I think you are right that some people can weigh themselves daily and be fine psychologically, but there are many that are not, and most people developing a problem don't see it until it's too late.

That's the last of my comments on this, people will do what people will do.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    Options
    What analogy are you talking about? I didn't make any analogy that I'm aware of.... All I said is that there is nothing wrong with daily weighings.
    What your saying is absolutely correct if the person is not at all dedicated to eating a healthy balanced diet every day following correct macros and in this case why bother weighing yourself at all. My postion comes from advocating a healthy balanced diet every day where there would be little alteration in weight each day,

Uhm, am I the only one who notices this inherent contradiction? Your saying that your position comes from the perspective of setting up a balanced, healthy eating plan and hitting your daily macros correctly so there would be little alteration in weight each day? Well if there would be so little alteration in weight, what's wrong with weighing yourself daily? You're the one who discouraged daily weigh-ins due to fluctuations when you said,

"Weight fluctuations happen to every human being on the planet daily, when you are monitoring your weight for weight loss or maintenance these fluctuations will balance out over the course of the week,".

Your positions sound contradictory to me.

And just because you happen to work in the industry does not mean that your opinion is above reproach. And since you feel the need to flaunt your credentials and challenge my opinion as well as my "phantom analogy" (still puzzled over that one), I'm responding once again. It's easy for a person to sit back and toss out their credentials in the hopes of furthering their argument, but it really doesn't change the content of what you actually said and the types of positions that you took. Paper credentials are fine, but some of the most knowledgeable people in this forum (with impressive physiques to boot!) don't have any credentials and don't work in the industry.

Don't get me wrong....I've heard all the arguments before and can appreciate each position....I just felt the need to speak up because of the eating chocolate example.

There is nothing wrong with doing daily weigh-ins. However, when it comes to weight-loss (and NOT maintenance), then weekly weigh-ins MIGHT be a better idea because you are tracking progress. Weight loss is almost NEVER linear. Whether that's due to water, undigested food, or your body just in-between the famous 'swooshes' of fat loss can be debated, but the fact that weight loss progression always follows a nearly unpredictable pattern of acceleration followed by slow-downs is quite evident. For that reason, it might be better for SOME to weigh themselves on a weekly basis.....however, I just do not vilify it the same way you do. But at the same time, if you understand the difference between fat loss and water-weight and will not freak out over gaining a pound, there is nothing wrong with weighing yourself daily every morning after voiding.

This is the line of reasoning for weekly weigh-ins that I can respect and appreciate. Calling it a waste of time akin to daily chocolate consumption and a precursor to a compulsion disorder is something I disagree with. If anything, setting up a daily diet and hitting your macros each and every single day which you advocate in your posts is FAR MORE COMPULSIVE than daily weigh-ins...but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do it, right?

As for a person in maintenance, there will not be any more or less fluctuations when it comes it weekly vs. daily weigh-ins. I think the previous poster was pretty clear as to why that is not the case.
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting!