is this the right thing to do?

Options

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Wow, it sounds like your relationship is definitely on the slippery slope of abuse. Right now it's verbal and emotional, but he's threatening violence and soon he'll probably carry that out, and not just on you, but on your daughter, too.

Instead of waiting to find a place on your own, find a women's shelter in your area and get out now. The problem with this kind of man is that he views you as his property and it's his right to treat you how he wishes, including hurting you and forcing you to return to him. You can't, under any circumstances, let him know that you're planning to leave. You need to go some place where he can't find you. My aunt used to run a shelter in our town and they will give you a place to stay, help with clothes for you and your child (and some women DO need to get out so fast they have nothing but what's on their backs), help you find a job (if needed) until you can get your life back on track.

I hope everything turns out well for you. Keep us posted if you can.

ETA: The problem is you're now seeing the guy he really is. He was nice while the relationship was new and he was trapping you into it. He's now showing his true self and you can't love a man who treats you like nothing. He has no respect for you as a person and I highly doubt he loves you in the traditional sense.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    thanks guys, its so hard though :( im still in love with the guy that he can be, but not the guy he is...

It's okay to love the man you want him to be - he gave you your beautiful little girl. But the man he IS is making you feel unhappy and unsafe. And that's not okay.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you stick around for that, imagine the life your daughter is going to have. Imagine the partners she'll choose in the future if you establish this as "the norm". Usually when a guy thinks his girl is serious about leaving, he will suddenly become the guy you hoped he'd be. I'd seriously recommend not going back when he does this. Just keep it movin'. If he straightens out later somehow, great. But you know no one changes "just" for you or because of something you said. Most people need a wake-up call or a traumatic event to bring about change in their lives.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    This is called an abusive relationship, emotionally and verbally. He's on a power surge. Walk away & seek protection of the police if necessary, especially since you have a child together.

*hugs*
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    1st, get out before he does get violent. Ask a friend or family member for help. WHat he's doing is abusive. Abuse doen't just mean physical.
    hes always been a bit controlling and mean to me sometimes, but it was always outweighed by how nice he was the rest of the time.

This part really struck me. No one should deal with a relationship where you have to justify it by saying that the nice outweighs the mean and controlling. It's one thing for good times to outweigh the bad but mean and controlling is NOT love and cannot be outweighed by anything.

I've been married for 18 years. We've been together for 22 years. One time early in our marriage we got into an argument. He threw up his hand in an "I give up" sort of manner. I flinched. That ended the argument right the and there. My flinch at his hand flying up crushed him. It was just an instinctive move on my part. I knew he would never hit me. I wouldn't have married him if I thought that was ever a possiblity. He cried, apologized, and hugged me.

In 22 years he has never said "No that's your job in regards to caring for our children. You didn't make that baby yourself. Caring for and raising her should be both parents job and responsibility. Hubby has also never said he'd make a mess bigger so I'd have more to clean (although puttin his socks in the hamper is apparently beyond his capabilities. :laugh: ) or said that he'd kick me out. Those aren't things that are done in a loving, functional relationship.

Your daughter will grow up with your relationships as an example of what love is all about. If you show her that "the good outweighs the mean and controlling" you will be setting her up to be in an abusive relationship in the future. Please, break this cycle before it affects her.
  • nelson6500
    Options
    Wow, almost seems like I wrote this.....

I have been in the same situation for 26 years. It has never been physical only emotional. Until about 3 years ago I would just sit back and take it now I don't. I am a stronger person for it. I wish I had gotten out a long time ago now that I see the effect that it has had on my children. So often we forget that just because he doesn't hit you doesn't mean it is right.

Find someone to talk to or go to a local women's center, church or hospital and get help.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I've been there (first marriage) & it usually only gets worse from there. You are only risking your life & the life of your baby if you stay, so you need to get out while you can & take your baby with you. In this day & age, there are enough places to go to be safe & enough legal routes to take to make sure that both of you stay safe. :flowerforyou:
    Hopefully, you have kept a diary or taken notes of when these things happened, what brought them on & what happened (throwing food, etc.,) because that will only strengthen your case if it comes to a custody battle for your baby.
  • suechristian65
    Options
    I've been in this situation myself.
    Staying together as a "family" is only teaching your child that mental abuse is acceptable.
    Get out now & don't look back.
    He will try to guilt you into coming back - even threaten to hurt you or himself - ignore him.
    This is a weak man with no spine & no balls.
    Get in touch with a local group that can offer more help & support, usually it will be women who have been though this too.
    These men are "textbook" - I'm betting you hear "no-one else would want you", "you can't do anything right" & "you'd be nothing without me".
    When I left I was terrified - now I don't even have to say a word to my X - I just quietly smile he knows that I can survive quite happily without him. He is now mentally abusive & physically violent towards someone else - he can no longer get a fearful reaction from me so I am no fun for him anymore!
    Good luck - my thoughts are with you. X
  • lizmaebar
    Options
    that is ABSOLUTELY the right thing to do. He is showing typical abusive behaviors. Its the cycle. they're nice, mean, apologetic, nice then mean again. and as the cycle continues it gets worse! if you need help, I am sure there are local charities or organizations that can help you. What state are you in? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE message me if you need help. Your daughter needs a safe happy environment more than an environment with a typical family structure. A situation like this just makes a breeding ground for a sad, hard, and traumatic life for your baby. believe me, I know from experience.
  • FifiLea
    FifiLea Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    thanks guys, its so hard though :( im still in love with the guy that he can be, but not the guy he is...

I understand how you feel (personal experience) but maybe try to think about it like this..? You can't help how you feel or who you love, but you can help what you do about it. No one says you have to stop loving him instantly, just do your very best so that he can't hurt you and can't hurt your baby.

He doesn't hit you because he can control you, at the moment, without physical violence. But it's very likely that he will get worse. Be as brave as you can and get away from him.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options

I made this mistake too for many years. Then I realized "that guy he can be" wasn't really him, it was a myth I created to justify sticking around. Maybe after time apart and therapy, 12 step program, whatever he may change but right now, what you see is who he is.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're doing the right thing. When you start to question that, picture your daughter in your shoes in 20 years. Would you advise her to stay with a man who treated her this way?
    You and your daughter are in my thoughts. I wish you the best. Your life WILL improve, you both deserve better.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    GET....OUT....NOW! My daughter was in love with her asshat of a husband too. She gave him 3 years of her life that damaged her so emotionally I don't know if she will ever be able to have a normal relationship. She doesn't trust men and and has no self esteem. She used to be happy, positive and fun. Now she's bitter and emotionally crippled. And has two kids. And she's not in love with him now. Your feelings for him will pass once you escape. RUN FOR YOUR LIFE.
  • Shariegreen
    Options
    Sweetie, it's time for you to go. You may have had a great relationship at one point in time but that doesn't give ANYONE permission to speak to another human in such a way. Does he treat strangers, servers in restaurants, co-workers, etc. in such a way? I most sincerely doubt it, otherwise he would have been decked by now himself. So if he doesn't treat others this way, it certainly isn't acceptable for him to treat a loved one like this. It's good that you recognize that there's something wrong here, because there really, really is. You will be better off alone (and it will be easier) raising your girl by yourself than staying.

Once you get some distance and perspective, you'll probably be surprised that you put up with that for so long. And one day, you will be in a relationship with a real man who is loving, respectful, kind, mature, decent, polite, and caring that will treat you and your daughter with nothing but goodness and love, as you both should be.

Best wishes to you, be strong. You can do this. You have to.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    thank you all! this has made me so much stronger..
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options

Be honest and ask yourself are you in love with this person or with the idea of being with someone you are used to and afraid to be on your own.
    It is understandable but to break free you have to face and come to terms with it.
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Get out. Tell a close family or friend who can help you. Take care of yourself and your baby!

Yes Ma'am!! If you havent told anyone! Now is the time to do it!! It sounds like you need to leave!! REd flags are raising everywhere!! Yall may work it out, but he needs couseling & then some couples couseling & some seperation, time to find you! Safety for your baby girl as well!
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    that is ABSOLUTELY the right thing to do. He is showing typical abusive behaviors. Its the cycle. they're nice, mean, apologetic, nice then mean again. and as the cycle continues it gets worse! if you need help, I am sure there are local charities or organizations that can help you. What state are you in? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE message me if you need help. Your daughter needs a safe happy environment more than an environment with a typical family structure. A situation like this just makes a breeding ground for a sad, hard, and traumatic life for your baby. believe me, I know from experience.

Message me too.
    Please look at your descriptions of him. Now do you want your daughter growing up and dating someone like that? If she came home with that man, would you give your approval? If that type of man isn't good enough to date your daughter when she's older, then that type of man isn't good enough to be her Daddy either. Don't wait to buy furniture, just find a responsible friend or family member to stay with, who won't talk about where you are. Go to the police and fill out a report, and seek full custody ASAP. If he thinks your daughter is only your responsibility, I doubt he will fight it. There are plenty of people who want to help you.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    is this the right thing to do?

Yep.