Lose Stomach Fat Challenge

Options

Replies

• grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Dietary note: rice flour makes a really nice gravy.
  • Jean410
    Jean410 Posts: 104
    Options
    I will try it, but can't start until later in the week when I buy groceries. I'll have to check my waist measurements.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone is keeping track, but I quit this over the weekend. It's just too much trouble to avoid wheat as it is in so many things I like. Plus I really missed my wheat beer and Kashi products. I definitely feel for people who need to avoid it for health reasons, and wish the rest of you good luck with this.

You are right. It is indeed a challenge, and why this one is so short! I am not following as stringent diet as that for those with celiac disease, and the challenge itself is not that strict. It's just about avoiding wheat and seeing if we see noticeable benefits from that exercise over a two week period.

The benefit for me so far is a much flatter stomach, as I no longer bloat. The bloating gave me a pregnant look that went beyond the spot where the tape measure goes. I am glad to have found the cause of it. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in week two.

It sounds like you may have a gluten intollerance. I've never had a problem with wheat or barley (not sure what else has gluten) though, and I've never been good at eliminating things from my diet unless they are bad for me. I found out over the weekend that BBQ Fritos contain wheat. (I don't think those are good for me, it was just surprising to me).
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting...I'm in, I need to find a bread substitute since I usually have a 100 cal whole wheat bread round with turkey breast for lunch...any ideas? I want to start today since I have not had any wheat at this point....will post measurements tomorrow.

I have been totally wheat/gluten free since yesterday....feel great so far!

CW - 145
    waist 2in above belly button - 34"

so excited about this!! :happy:

After wk 1:
    CW - 144
    waist - 32"" - 2 inch loss in 7 days?

Is that good?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    A Snickers chocolate bar? Raises the blood sugar LESS than whole grains.

No it doesn't. A Snickers bar has a GL of 19.

Whole wheat kernels have a GL of 14
    Brown Rice has a GL of 18
    Pearled barley has a GL of 11
    Oatmeal has a GL of 13 (even instant oatmeal only has a GL of 17)
    Special K has a GL of 14
    Raisin Bran has a GL of 13
    Popcorn has a GL of 8
    Wholemeal spaghetti has a GL of 16

Source: http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm
  • grassette
    Options
    How has week one gone with everyone taking up the challenge?
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Special K has a GL of 14
    Popcorn has a GL of 8

Source: http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

This thread is about a specific book, so I'm quoting the book. I guess I should have said "whole grain bread".

"The study showed that the GI of white bread was 69, , while the GI of whole grain bread was 72 and Shredded Wheat cereal was 67, while that of sucrose (table sugar) was 59. Yes, the GI of whole grain bread is higher than that of sucrose. Incidentally, the GI of a Mars bar -- nougat, chocolate, sugar, caramel, and all -- is 68. That's BETTER than whole grain bread. The GI of a Snickers bar is 41 -- FAR bette rthan whole grain bread. (sites the study in the footnotes).
  • bcattoes
    Options

Special K has a GL of 14
    Popcorn has a GL of 8

This thread is about a specific book, so I'm quoting the book. I guess I should have said "whole grain bread".

"The study showed that the GI of white bread was 69, , while the GI of whole grain bread was 72 and Shredded Wheat cereal was 67, while that of sucrose (table sugar) was 59. Yes, the GI of whole grain bread is higher than that of sucrose. Incidentally, the GI of a Mars bar -- nougat, chocolate, sugar, caramel, and all -- is 68. That's BETTER than whole grain bread. The GI of a Snickers bar is 41 -- FAR bette rthan whole grain bread. (sites the study in the footnotes).

Well, that's a little higher than other studies I've seen, but GI (glycemic index) is an outdated way of measuring foods affect on insulin. Glycemic Load (GL) is a much more accurate way to measure. For example carrots have a high GI because they contain simple sugars, but they have a very low GL because they contain very little of that sugar so eating one will not cause an insulin spike. GL of whole wheat bread is 9 according to the Harvard Chart and 10 (for USA) on the International table of glycemic index and glycemic load values published by The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (http://www.ajcn.org/content/76/1/5.full.pdf+html)

Whole grains, including whole wheat bread, does not raise blood sugar more than a Snickers bar.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    This no gluten thing has been awesome for me so far. I don't get that mid afternoon drag. I am finding I have a lot of energy. I have always been a pretty lethargic person (aka lazy), but I have the energy to do more during my day.

Also, 4.6 pounds lost in the past week and a half. I have just a little over twenty pounds to lose to reach my goal weight, so this is a very substantial loss.
  • czechsmate
    Options
    How has week one gone with everyone taking up the challenge?

I am one day into my 2nd week...the first week was a 1 pound loss and 2 in loss around my waist, I had a hard time after a few days but kept going and since then I have felt great, seem to have more energy and bounce!!
  • grassette
    Options
    Wow, those are good results!
  • grassette
    Options
    Thanksgiving is a good time to give up this challenge. Looking forward to that turkey stuffing!

So, far so good. No bloating, and weight loss is pretty good too. I weigh in on Sunday, but so far, so good!

How is everybody else faring?
  • grassette
    Options
    Weight loss: 1.5 lbs. No change in the waist. Felt great, full of energy.

How have others found it?
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    well this challenge provided me with great results! I lost almost 6 pounds in the last two weeks and finally hit my halfway mark. Twenty more pounds to go :) I think I am going to continue this, at least during the week. I have a lot more energy, wake up easier, and generally get more accomplished during my days. How did everyone else do?
  • CitrusLump
    Options
    I gave up wheat (and all bread, pasta and rice in fact!) a month ago, (although still eat cous cous and wheatberries) and without changing anything else about my diet I lost just over a inch from my stomach, it also seemed to 'protrude' less and I never feel bloated anymore. The fact that I feel much better is more important for me than the inch loss, so that was an absolute bonus!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I gave up wheat (and all bread, pasta and rice in fact!) a month ago, (although still eat cous cous and wheatberries) and without changing anything else about my diet I lost just over a inch from my stomach, it also seemed to 'protrude' less and I never feel bloated anymore. The fact that I feel much better is more important for me than the inch loss, so that was an absolute bonus!

What is the couscous you eat made of? I'm asking because I've never been able to find any not made from wheat. If it's not wheat, what brand is it?
  • czechsmate
    Options
    Weight loss: 1.5 lbs. No change in the waist. Felt great, full of energy.

How have others found it?

I weigh and measure tomorrow morning...I am feeling confident, hope its not just a feeling :wink:
  • czechsmate
    Options
    Sounds interesting...I'm in, I need to find a bread substitute since I usually have a 100 cal whole wheat bread round with turkey breast for lunch...any ideas? I want to start today since I have not had any wheat at this point....will post measurements tomorrow.

I have been totally wheat/gluten free since yesterday....feel great so far!

CW - 145
    waist 2in above belly button - 34"

so excited about this!! :happy:

After wk 1:
    CW - 144
    waist - 32"" - 2 inch loss in 7 days?

After wk 2:
    CW - 143
    waist - 31.5"

Yay!!
  • spongela
    spongela Posts: 107
    Options
    I just noticed this post, i tried to cut out bread before, but i found it difficult to replace it with other things, plus gluten free stuff seems to be expensive.
  • grassette
    Options

What is the couscous you eat made of? I'm asking because I've never been able to find any not made from wheat. If it's not wheat, what brand is it?

Couscous is made of semolina, no?