Who's training for a Marathon??

Options

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first half in 31 weeks :)

Here's my training blog if anyone wants to follow my progress..
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/R4z0r4Mm0

Would love to read other running blogs too!

Respectfully, if your long run is already running 9 miles, you don't need 31 more weeks to be ready for half. You could be ready in 4 more weeks.

I guess you're right. Maybe I'm just building a running base then? My pace is still quite slow. I did 20km 2 days ago in my long run - but I really want to improve my pace, and I know that will only come with a stronger base and constant training. Maybe 16 weeks into my training, I may decide I should be training for a full marathon? Feel free to discourage me though - running a half isn't as daunting as it used to be, but running a full is still quite scary.

My $.02 - build your base and run halfs for a while rather than being in a hurry to go 26.2. The more running you take into your first marathon the better.

Ok thanks for the advice. That was my original plan, run 2 halfs before my first marathon. There is actually a half in April, 4.5 weeks before my scheduled May half. Do you think I should do these 2 halfs only 4.5 weeks away from each other?

The marathon I REALLY want to train for is in July - too soon after my 2 x halfs you think?

Next July should be fine for a marathon. There is no magic number of halfs, just keep increasing the distance. Marathon training will make you say crazy things like "I'm only running 17 miles today."
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my 2nd half (which is in 5 weeks) I have another half in February, and hoping for my first full before the end of the year next year. Feel free to add me if you like
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    My running blog is here: http://runningwithmickey.wordpress.com

I did my first two halves 9 weeks apart and did fine with both. My second two were less than 30 days apart and were brutal - there were other reasons involved (temperature, time of day, time on feet before, allergies. etc.). I'm like 90 days out (89? something like that) from my first full and can't imagine putting it ANY closer to a half than that.

I'm slow though and honestly am happy to finish.
  • R4z0r4Mm0
    R4z0r4Mm0 Posts: 131
    Options

Next July should be fine for a marathon. There is no magic number of halfs, just keep increasing the distance. Marathon training will make you say crazy things like "I'm only running 17 miles today."

July it is then! I'm already saying crazy things I never would have said 8 months ago... "I only ran 20km this morning" :happy:
  • arc918
    Options
    I did 4 halfs in 4 days. I remember day three being the toughest. A few local crazy runners did 4 marathons in 4 days at the same series of races.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I am training for the Full at Disney January 8th. My longest run to date 15 miles, this weekend will be 17!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    WOW-just read posts - several of us are training for Disney!
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Im training for the rock n roll Arizona in Jan
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am in the last few days of my training. My marathon is this coming Sunday.

Good luck!

Thank you!!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    While technically not in my training program yet, I will ramping up after the 1st of the year to run Pittsburgh in May for the 2nd time.
  • sakamanojr
    sakamanojr Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Hello there,

I have run 4 full and am running my 7th half Oct23rd.
    I will help with any advice when you need it. I can tell from your results that there is great progress.
    Keep it up and talk to you soon.
    I will send a friend request.

Take care,
    Saka
  • Natalie43
    Natalie43 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first full Marathon next year in 2012, The Virgin London Marathon.
    I've raced a few halfs before but this will be the big one! I do a lot of core stability, strength endurance and plyometrics as well as running!
    Anyone else got a place in the Virgin London Marathon?
  • melholden10
    Options
    Just finished my first full and now onto training for my next two in april and may next year :)
  • jlanab
    jlanab Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I hope this isnt a stupid question, but how does one train for a half or full marathon? Are there apps or programs available, running groups, personal trainers?
  • arc918
    Options
    I'm training for my first full Marathon next year in 2012, The Virgin London Marathon.
    I've raced a few halfs before but this will be the big one! I do a lot of core stability, strength endurance and plyometrics as well as running!
    Anyone else got a place in the Virgin London Marathon?

Good luck!

I tried to get a spot (international) but did not get selected. It was the most polite rejection I've ever received.
  • arc918
    Options
    I hope this isnt a stupid question, but how does one train for a half or full marathon? Are there apps or programs available, running groups, personal trainers?

I send all new runners to Hal Higdon. http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

There are lots of training programs out there, but some of them are more advanced and won't do you any good if you don't know your 5k pace from your half marathon pace from your marathon pace.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    I am using jeff Galloways plan for my marathon...used Smart coach on runnersworld for my half.
  • melholden10
    Options

There are training plans on line and there are probs apps aswell generally for marathons its 3 shorter faster runs during the week 3-8 miles and the long run at the weekend. or whatever fits with your schedule type thing
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    How's everyone's training going? :)

I'm using the run/walk a full marathon plan in "Marathoning for Mortals". LOVE Coach Jenny!! And LOVE my Penguin!!

This past Sunday I volunteered and co-captained my running club's cheer station at the Mile 24 fluid station in the ING New York City Marathon. It was a great experience - from the elite wheelchair athletes to the "regular" Achilles International athlete on TWO prosthetic legs to the elite women just beginning their final battle for podium to the elite men who were CRAZY FAST (all three podium spots were UNDER the 2:07:xx course record...the winner was in 2:05:06 to the common mortals anywhere between the elites and the sag wagon...and even a woman who finished sometime 24-36 hours after starting - she has MS and walks the entire course with her crutches. I only saw her on the news though. Definitely inspired for next year!!

Of course I have to get through Walt Disney World first!! Just under 2 months to go. Got a 14-miler this weekend. Eek!!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Did my longest run to date while at the beach last weekend--20 miles! Felt reasonably ok after!