what exercise burns the most calories treadmill or elliptcal

Options
2»

Replies

• TheDeviation
    Options
    What should I do on the treadmill to burn the most calories.
    Use H.I.I.T. to burn off the calories. Example would be 60 seconds @ 6-7MPH followed by 60 seconds at 3-4MPH. You need to make sure you stay in the target heart rate zone during the faster portion of the exercise.

You will burn as much (possibly more) than an elliptical use H.I.I.T. Last night I hit around 460 calories for 30 minutes of work on the treadmill. No incline. A friend of mine uses the elliptical (bad knees) and burns the same or less for a given time.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I usually walk like 3.5 to 4 mph on that incline. Sometimes 3. My HRM shoes my HR at like 165 ish
    What is your speed when you are at 12the incline.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    What should I do on the treadmill to burn the most calories.
    Use H.I.I.T. to burn off the calories. Example would be 60 seconds @ 6-7MPH followed by 60 seconds at 3-4MPH. You need to make sure you stay in the target heart rate zone during the faster portion of the exercise.

You will burn as much (possibly more) than an elliptical use H.I.I.T. Last night I hit around 460 calories for 30 minutes of work on the treadmill. No incline. A friend of mine uses the elliptical (bad knees) and burns the same or less for a given time.

This works really well for me also. I usually do 60 seconds at 6.0 and 90 seconds of 3.0 alternating for 40-60 minutes. Helluva burn.
  • bonnienieman
    Options
    Any incline between 12 and 15, and any speed between 3.5 and 4.5 is great. The higher the incline and speed, the more calories you are going to burn. No need to run, just walk. Running is bad for your knees.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    When I do inclines on the treadmill, especially 8 or above, I get as good of a burn as I do running! I usually go about 3.5mph. I'll tell you though, a few months ago, I could only go about 3.0. Start at the pace and incline that work for you - as long as you're getting your heart rate up for an extended period of time, that's what really matters. Then push yourself when you're ready for more of a challenge.

The elliptical is great if you keep up a good pace. What I do is watch the calories per minute on the machine (yes, I realize the calorie counts on the machines aren't usually right, this is just a gauge) and make sure I stay at 10 or above. Programs with intervals or climbs are good too.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I like the treadmill vs. the elliptical, because even on a slow day..at least I'm able to go at my own pace..walk, run, jog...warm-up/cool down...
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    The ARC machines are pretty awesome! I prefer them over the elliptical
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    Not to stray off topic...
    Running is bad for your knees.
    Running in bad shoes with bad form is bad for your knees. Kind of like lifting weights with bad form is bad for your joints. Neither exercise is bad for you in & of itself.
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Elliptical tends to burn more for me, at least I think so, because it takes me about 20 minutes on the treadmill before the sweat starts really dripping, and on the elliptical, it's literally around 5 minutes before it happens, lol.
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    yeah how fast & how much of an incline on the treadmill will make a difference... but I think I know what you're asking!

You burn more calories on the elliptical before "feeling it" then you will on the treadmill. the treadmill wears me out really fast.. elliptical I can go really hard for like 30 minutes at least :)
  • 750psi
    750psi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I’ve found the best technique is after a ten minute warm up jog at 5 – 6mph for one minute followed by a brisk 3.5 -4mph walk for one minute and continue by alternating jog and walk. This will give you a continuous elevated heart rate without the stress. –hope this helps
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I use the treadmill on very high inclines so I DO burn more calories on the treadmill.
  • Pisc2749
    Pisc2749 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 HRM and I did 30 minutes on the elliptical the other night and it said I burned 420 calories (I'm 170 lbs, 5'7"). On the treadmill, running at a 12:00 min/mile pace, I burn 350-380 in the same amount of time. But I feel like running on the treadmill is much harder, and I sweat more than on the elliptical, so go figure...