Orange Juice/ Milk

Options
2»

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I have read that all that sugar interferes with your ability to absorb the vitamin C. I don't know if that's true, but if so, it makes orange juice purely a source of sugar. Even if it's not true, I'd still say milk is better. I may be biased - I find juice of any kind to be too sweet and I always cut it with water.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I am thinking milk because it also has calcium which can aid in weight loss.

How does calcium aid in weight loss?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090312115053.htm

apparently this only applies if you are calcium deficient. but I have heard the concept before

Hmm. They only conducted the study in obese women, too. I'll wait for more data.
  • jgilhen
    jgilhen Posts: 31
    Options
    VVhy not have both? If you change to Unsvveet Almond milk(love Vanilla) it is only 35 cal and GREAT for you.You can''t go vvrong giving the body the goods(smile)

Great job on the weight loss!! Your pictures are amazing!!!:smile:
  • dibellamatt
    Options
    With the almond milk you're not getting the protein though...
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    neither is ideal in my opinion.... both lots of sugar... i have to be honest though... i do enjoy a little splash of milk in my coffee!
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    neither is ideal in my opinion.... both lots of sugar... i have to be honest though... i do enjoy a little splash of milk in my coffee!
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options

Is that a confession about enjoying a splash of milk? You're naughty!
  • queenmegan
    Options
    Personally, neither. They are both loaded with sugar. Yes, low fat milk has milk sugars, check the label. The lower the fat, the higher the milk sugars which equals a higher glycemic carb situation. You would be better off eating a whole orange and having some greek yogurt if you are looking for the vitamin C and calcium. You blood sugar will regulate much better with a protein, carb and fat combo than just plain sugars and there is not enough protein vs. carbs in the 1% milk to avoid a spike in insulin.

That's just my experience. I am sure you will get a lot of different thoughts....I'm sure you find one that works for you.

I agree, I heard this from Dr. Oz as well. Though, because I have thyroid disease, I can not eat anything for a half hour to hour after I take my medication. So, prior to a workout I need something in my body. I started with OJ and am now changing to almond milk
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Drink some water, have a banana and chill out.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Personally, neither. They are both loaded with sugar. Yes, low fat milk has milk sugars, check the label. The lower the fat, the higher the milk sugars which equals a higher glycemic carb situation. You would be better off eating a whole orange and having some greek yogurt if you are looking for the vitamin C and calcium. You blood sugar will regulate much better with a protein, carb and fat combo than just plain sugars and there is not enough protein vs. carbs in the 1% milk to avoid a spike in insulin.

That's just my experience. I am sure you will get a lot of different thoughts....I'm sure you find one that works for you.

ROFLMAO. Milk has sugar? NO ****. Hmmmmm I wonder what yogurt is made from
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Neither...
  • adezeray
    adezeray Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    VVhy not have both? If you change to Unsvveet Almond milk(love Vanilla) it is only 35 cal and GREAT for you.You can''t go vvrong giving the body the goods(smile)

You look Great! Great job!!!!
  • ladybug11
    ladybug11 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

ROFLMAO. Milk has sugar? NO ****. Hmmmmm I wonder what yogurt is made from

^^THIS^^
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I personally think almond milk with some fruit and a scoop of protein powder is the right answer to this question! Regular milk isn't very good for you in the long run. If you do want regular milk, drink organic! :)
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am thinking milk because it also has calcium which can aid in weight loss.

Please explain using resources other than the dairy council.

Yay! I'm glad I have a new friend who knows what she is talking about! :)
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm a Dr. Oz fan....and Dr. Oz recommends limiting juice all together. BUT: If you are going to have juice, he says to have- Calcium Fortified Orange juice and no more than 8 oz. a day!

I think I remembered reading that drinking milk helps with weight loss because it helps eliminate belly fat