Should there be an age limit on dieting?

Options
I definitely do think so. I believe anyone under 18 should only diet for medical purposes e.g. being GENUINELY overweight. Too many young ones get caught up in it all, ruining their lives when they were fine as they were. There are so many under-aged on here, this site is wonderful however if used for the wrong reasons, can be a death trap.

Don't mess with your body when it's developing! Because if you do, you'll be stuck with it for life.

DIETING AS IN EATING LESS CALORIES THAN THE RECOMMENDED AMOUNT.

Replies

• Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    My dad tried to get my doctor to put me on a diet when I was 5. The doctor refused since I was in a healthy weight range. Yeah..I didn't have a good father.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    All that being said I do not think anyone should diet, but rather make a lifestyle change in regards to healthy foods and an active lifestyle. And that is good for any age- young and old.
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    My dad tried to get my doctor to put me on a diet when I was 5. The doctor refused since I was in a healthy weight range. Yeah..I didn't have a good father.
    I'm grateful you had a good doctor!
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I was ready with a retort there, till I read your post and found it was talking about youngsters, rather than 'greys.'
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I hate when this site is used for the wrong reasons, and it's so painfully clear when it is.

I hate to say this, but usually it IS the youngest ones using this site to make their illness worse.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    On the flip side, there should not be an age limit on eating healthy as opposed to eating crap. Parents should be reserving foods like chips / pop / cookies / pizza / candy etc. for special occasions, not every day fare. Children eat what is available.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think anyone should "diet" I think everyone, no matter the age, should try to eat healthy and thoughtfully. Unfortunately this doesn't always happen. When you have a child under your designated age who is obese, several hundred pounds, eats an enormous number of calories in a day, has type 2 diabetes and other healthy problems related to weight, what is your solution?
  • mirenner
    mirenner Posts: 205
    Options
    diet doesn't necessarily mean 'to lose weight'...

there are many diets for physical and mental issues...

so, its all variable upon the reason
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    I honestly don't think anyone should "diet" I think everyone, no matter the age, should try to eat healthy and thoughtfully. Unfortunately this doesn't always happen. When you have a child under your designated age who is obese, several hundred pounds, eats an enormous number of calories in a day, has type 2 diabetes and other healthy problems related to weight, what is your solution?

Like I said, UNLESS for medical reasons :)
    Which should be led by a professional e.g. GP or dietician.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    On the flip side, there should not be an age limit on eating healthy as opposed to eating crap. Parents should be reserving foods like chips / pop / cookies / pizza / candy etc. for special occasions, not every day fare. Children eat what is available.

THIS.
  • Silvercivic
    Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I was slightly overweight as a high-schooler. And it is because I ate way too much food. I remember packing my lunch and eating it in the hallway before classes started for the day and then eating a second lunch when it was actually lunch time! Then I would go home and snack on something, eat a giant dinner, and sneak some more food at night. I don't view MFP as a diet, but rather a way to be more mindful of what and how much you are eating. So I think I would have benefited from being more mindful of what I ate as a teenager in order to start developing healthier habits at a young age. They teach kids to make choices about what they eat in terms of nutrition, why not also keep calories in check?

With that being said, I'm not sure if my teenage self would be mature enough to handle something like MFP. Would I get too caught up in it and use it the wrong way? Perhaps... So I see your point, but I do think that many younger people would benefit from establishing healthy eating habits at their younger, more impressionable age.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I started dieting around the age of 10.

There was a weight limit to play mini-football for my age bracket (I believe the weight was 115lbs). I remember being *really* young and running the track wearing a garbage bag under my cloths (to sweat like crazy) before the football game to make weight. I did this between ages 10-13.

I never wrestled in high school, but I know guys would do crazy stuff to lose a lot of weight in a short period of time.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I realize there are some kids that are overweight and IMO they should only "diet" under the care of their physician. It saddens me when I see young girls fixated on an unhealthy body image.
  • kendernau
    kendernau Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You are never too young to learn good habits. That said, for anyone still growing (I'd go as high as 25, depending on the person), I would generally not recommend going on a weight loss program without a doctor's recommendations.

Particularly if you are only slightly over (overweight but not obese), focusing on healthy habits and a maintenance-level caloric intake can let you grow into your weight.

Even if a doctor recommends you lose weight, regardless of age, doing it with the help from this community is one of the best ways I have seen to do it - a healthy rate of weight loss through a balanced diet, proper portions, and an appropriate level of exercise. Done right, this transitions right into a continued healthy lifestyle with the same elements when you go into maintenance mode.
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! I think there is a difference in using it for a healthier lifestyle and using it to "diet." But I'm 23, and I have friends my own age doing it for the wrong reasons.
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 15 and she has 2 obese, not chubby friends. These girls need a medically supervised diet or they could be headed down a very unhealthy road facing diabetes and many more health issues. Not to mention the damage to self esteem, they are picked on in school, mostly by the boys, (which is disgusting and cruel, but lets face it kids often can be very mean and parents and school administrators can only do so much). The one childs parents are also severely overweight but refer to themselves as "naturally big people" they make jokes about freaking the Chinese people out that own the Chinese buffet when they come in. That is fine if they are happy with themselves, I can not help to worry about the current and future health of their teen.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I, too, thought this might refer to "oldies but goodies" like me ;)

I figure when I'm 80 or so, I might give myself license to eat and drink whatever the heck I want.........but, at 56, I'm trying to stay alive a little longer and feel as good as (or better than) I do right now!!!
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options

That's how I was brought up. I was only allowed junk on weekends. I was so jealous of other everyone else who had chocolate bars in their lunch boxes, I got picked on for eating wholemeal bread! I'm glad my mother brought me up like that, I have a better understanding of what's good & what's bad for me.
  • sirmio
    sirmio Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't know, there isn't anything inherently wrong with it. As long as the person is getting adequate nutrition and is not creating a calorie deficit (unless they are at an unhealthy weight overage), where's the harm?

I think you mean an unsupervised diet. When you're under 18, your parents are involved in your trip to the doctor and the dentist. When you play sports, you're supervised by a coach who probably has several certifications and/or a degree in exercise science, and even then you need a physical first. If those same precautions are taken with dieting, it's plenty safe I think.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Do you mean an age *minimum*? I see your point, but I'm also pretty apathetic when it comes to other people who don't directly affect me or someone I love.