How much Protein is too Much??

Options
Just wondering how much protein is too much? I don't eat a lot of red meats, maybe twice a week if that, then its usually chicken/turkey or cottage cheese.

I have been noticing that MFP says that I am over my protein intake. Is this a bad thing?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    MFP's default protein is quite low. Going over is not a problem unless you have serious medical issues.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Not a bad thing. Think of body builders. Some getting 300g of protein and they seem to be doing well. xD
  • MDfour
    MDfour Posts: 20
    Options
    MFP's default protein goal is notoriously low. As a rule of thumb, you should strive to eat a gram of protein per pound of ideal body weight. IE, if your ideal body weight is 130 lb, you should aim for 130 grams of protein a day. It is difficult to eat too much protein.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    There is no too much. OK, probably want to go around 1g per pound of body weight...give or take.
  • sallywilson06
    sallywilson06 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Good to know!!! Thank you!!
  • AloyMomNwife
    AloyMomNwife Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I was wondering the same thing cuz I'm always going over my protein limit. I guess it's better than going over carbs which end up sticking to your gut!
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    what they said lol
    Options
    Thank you! I was wondering the same thing cuz I'm always going over my protein limit. I guess it's better than going over carbs which end up sticking to your gut!

Noyt really true as long as you are under your calories :flowerforyou: carbs are not the enemy
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Under almost all circumstances too much protein is not a problem. But as always, stay on the safe side and have your doctor check for any reason that might prevent you from processing it like most people.

@Sunshine_88 I am gonna have to disagree with you on the idea that carbs are not the enemy. No offence, but everything I've studied about nutrition points to them as the problem
    Options
    Under almost all circumstances too much protein is not a problem. But as always, stay on the safe side and have your doctor check for any reason that might prevent you from processing it like most people.

@Sunshine_88 I am gonna have to disagree with you on the idea that carbs are not the enemy. No offence, but everything I've studied about nutrition points to them as the problem

As a junior in a nutrition field I have done a lot of research and read many studies. Carbs may not be absolutely necessary, but they are nothing to fear.

Everyone will have their own opinion of course and I'll leave it at that :]
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

As a junior in a nutrition field I have done a lot of research and read many studies. Carbs may not be absolutely necessary, but they are nothing to fear.

Indeed. There's nothing to point to carbs a general evil. Some people don't do well with them, but that's more anecdotal than anything else. And not all carbs equal for that matter. So I'd agree that they're not the enemy.
  • digitalsteel
    Options

Indeed. There's nothing to point to carbs a general evil. Some people don't do well with them, but that's more anecdotal than anything else. And not all carbs equal for that matter. So I'd agree that they're not the enemy.

Your right, they are not a general evil, just the ones that cause insulin to go up. To clarify my point read this: http://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/heart/articles/2010/04/12/eating-the-wrong-kind-of-carbohydrates-increases-heart-disease-risk
  • MikeSEA
    Options

Your right, they are not a general evil, just the ones that cause insulin to go up. To clarify my point read this: http://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/heart/articles/2010/04/12/eating-the-wrong-kind-of-carbohydrates-increases-heart-disease-risk

Ooo..yeah..post hoc ergo propter hoc. That said, yes. Looking at the glycemic values of carbs and their effects on the body are worthy of study. I didn't bother reading the cited study in the article, but I don't have a high tolerance for correlative data either.

I try to have slower carbs before my workouts and faster carbs after them. They're all just tools. If you use one in a way that doesn't make sense, then yeah, you can get hurt. Carbs aren't the problem here. Behaviors are.
  • digitalsteel
    Options
    I take offence that you imply post hoc ergo propter hoc. That was one of the quickest run downs of information regarding what I was trying to explain. I didn't bother to dig through my collected medical journals and actual study data for you, but if you read some of them I think you'd change your mind. While this is my strong opinion, science does back me on it. All I urge is for those who think all carbs are fine to check out some of the studies done on it. I don't wish to instigate hostility, but if you root through it all, we have been brainwashed on this matter into believing the wrong information.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't the problem here. Behaviors are.

True that. No such thing as a bad carb, just a badly timed carb.
    Options

Ooo..yeah..post hoc ergo propter hoc. That said, yes. Looking at the glycemic values of carbs and their effects on the body are worthy of study. I didn't bother reading the cited study in the article, but I don't have a high tolerance for correlative data either.

I try to have slower carbs before my workouts and faster carbs after them. They're all just tools. If you use one in a way that doesn't make sense, then yeah, you can get hurt. Carbs aren't the problem here. Behaviors are.

Completely agree correlation =/= causation. Not exactly an article full of data or science.
  • MikeSEA
    Options
    I take offence that you imply post hoc ergo propter hoc. That was one of the quickest run downs of information regarding what I was trying to explain. I didn't bother to dig through my collected medical journals and actual study data for you, but if you read some of them I think you'd change your mind. While this is my strong opinion, science does back me on it. All I urge is for those who think all carbs are fine to check out some of the studies done on it. I don't wish to instigate hostility, but if you root through it all, we have been brainwashed on this matter into believing the wrong information.

Offense was certainly not intended but it's neither here nor there. The article implies a correlation without proving causation. As a side note, claiming we've all been brainwashed isn't the first rhetorical moved I'd make if I wanted to appear rational.
  • digitalsteel
    Options

Offense was certainly not intended but it's neither here nor there. The article implies a correlation without proving causation. As a side note, claiming we've all been brainwashed isn't the first rhetorical moved I'd make if I wanted to appear rational.

Take it how you want, I don't think anyone should make a decision until they've read the data. But I'd hope my claim would at least prompt people to dig a little more. Those that have tend to agree with me.

Read Good Calories Bad Calories if you want a run down of every medical study ever done on the matter.
  • MikeSEA
    Options

Take it how you want, I don't think anyone should make a decision until they've read the data. But I'd hope my claim would at least prompt people to dig a little more. Those that have tend to agree with me.

So we have:

1. A claim that carbs are evil.
    2. A clarification that carbs aren't evil, it's just that some carbs have different glycemic loads (I don't think you'll get an argument there).
    3. An article that doesn't seem to provide a demonstrable, causal link between heart disease and carbs with higher glycemic values. They might be right, but who knows?
    4. A defensive position that asserts we've been brainwashed.
    5. More assertions that one's as-yet-unstated claims are not only valid but agreed with.

Listen, I'm not saying you're wrong, but you can't just say "Hey look at this idea. It has science behind it" and then link the article that you linked as back up. Not only that, but if someone refutes the article for the logical fallacy that represents, you can' just assert that you're right and assume people should believe you because you claim to have done research.

I'm open to what you have to say, but I require more than you word to be convinced.
This discussion has been closed.