Can I See Your Diary Please!

Options

Replies

• luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Funny you should post this because I feel the same way. I had a buddy who was always under on her daily diary. I used to comment stuff like "WTG, good job etc" little did I know she had a very serious eating problem. Had she opened up her diary I would have known all was not well and could have offered to help her. She has since left the site.

So I no longer comment on diaries I cannot see. As a matter of fact, i have a buddy that has a private diary and today I asked her to share it, but she said she was "not ready" I hope all is well with her.
  • runslikeagirl
    runslikeagirl Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I had mine closed for a while because someone was being snarky about my sodium and one person told me I ate too many lean cuisines!! Its a personal choice! Mine is now open cause I am on my last 10lbs and it makes me eat better.
  • foodluver27
    Options
    You are more than welcome to check mine out..it's open! :)
  • Akjenn89
    Akjenn89 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Mine's open, but I don't think that everyone has to have theirs open. If they wanted it open for everyone to see, they would. The fact that it is an option is great. Not everyone wants comments on what they're eating. Sure, they might add you as a friend for support and vis versa, but giving support and receiving support doesn't require an open food diary policy. If you really want to know what someone is eating, you can ask kindly what kind of foods they're eating. Some people just don't want to broadcast it to everyone (regardless if they are eating healthy) on the internet but will still respond to a kindly put question.
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Mines open too. Have at it. :)
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me. Some people are more private or maybe are making changes one step at a time and don't need people bashing them for unhealthy choices even if it is a healthier choice than normal for that person.

I do like to get ideas also but if someone's diary is closed I just move on to someone elses that isn't closed. It is myfitnesspal not everyone all up in mybusinesspal, lol.
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i dont comment on diaries, period. Very often I see food choices that are not good even though they are low cal. I feel that i can't support someone's choice to eat fast food every day or only eat processed food. but that's their personal choice. it is my personal choice not to comment on that. So i will comment on my friend's exercise accomplishments but never on their food choices unless they ask specifically what i think of that.
  • fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed. I track my food but I am just not at the point yet in my weight loss that I can handle criticism from others about what I eat. I have been criticized for my weight my whole life and don't want to hinder my progress if someone criticizes me for not eating the "healthiest". I will get there.
  • Thirstygirl
    Thirstygirl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    mine is open ... i just like to get ideas from others thats why i like to look... whats wierd is to think that people would judge... never thought of that... to each their own right??? sometimes i like to eat naughty food... lol
    :drinker:
  • Shajsum
    Shajsum Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Mine's open, but I don't think that everyone has to have theirs open. If they wanted it open for everyone to see, they would. The fact that it is an option is great. Not everyone wants comments on what they're eating. Sure, they might add you as a friend for support and vis versa, but giving support and receiving support doesn't require an open food diary policy. If you really want to know what someone is eating, you can ask kindly what kind of foods they're eating. Some people just don't want to broadcast it to everyone (regardless if they are eating healthy) on the internet but will still respond to a kindly put question.

Great answer!
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Mine's always open, good or bad, it's there to see. I think it helps not only myself but others...you get into a rut and start eating the same kinds of food every day, or you just make bad choices, it's nice to be able to look at someone else's and go "hmmm, I should try that" I really think more people need to do it...everyone has bad days, no one is perfect, and come on, what do you have to hide?
  • Shajsum
    Shajsum Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me. Some people are more private or maybe are making changes one step at a time and don't need people bashing them for unhealthy choices even if it is a healthier choice than normal for that person.

I do like to get ideas also but if someone's diary is closed I just move on to someone elses that isn't closed. It is myfitnesspal not everyone all up in mybusinesspal, lol.

Another great answer!
  • MountainMamaof2
    Options
    I'm new here, but mine is open and will hopefully only continue to improve:)
  • skullcrushergurl
    Options
    I didn't know until today that you could have it be public and that I had to go to change it in settings!
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I leave mine open. I don't care if others have a problem with what I eat. But if I eat well then maybe someone can learn something. I get ideas off of other diaries. I don't understand why it seems so personal. If I go to a public restaurant its not a secret what I order. When I eat at work it is no secret what I am eating. Friends call and ask what's for dinner at times even....LOL!!! Personally I could get a rat's less what people think when it is negative thoughts anytime!
  • BikeNut5
    BikeNut5 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I didn't know until today that you could have it be public and that I had to go to change it in settings!
    It doesn't have to be public but if you have friends I'm guessing you want support! You can open it to just your friends.If a "friend" is constantly criticizing then you can delete that "friend"
  • Recreateyourself017
    Options
    Mines open and I'm always looking for friends with open diaries for feedback! Add me if you have an open diary, or at least want to comment on mine! (just ignore today, it was crazy :-P)
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure mine is open to at least my friends, I am not exactly shy online, but I can definitely understand why people wouldn't want to be that public. I have had some pretty snarky comments about my daily intake of metamucil, but no one bothered to ask the why of it, just kind of assumed it was about some sort of bulimic type imperative. If they had bothered to ask, they could have found out it is for my hyperlipidemia since I refuse to take category x drugs (which the statins my doctor keep pushing are) while I am still in childbearing age and without permanent sterilization.
  • mabelebam
    mabelebam Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I used to balk at the idea of inviting people to take a look at what I put in my mouth on a daily basis, then I realised that was exactly why I should do so. My diary is open to my MFP friends whom I trust to steer me back on track or give me a pat on my shoulder if I made a relatively good choice. But even more so it pushes me psychologically to rethink my food choices each day and plan out my meals.

Each person has their own reasons for opening/closing their diaries...I think an open diary works for me, but it may not work for others. But at the end of the day I guess you should do what you feel is most comfortable for you. :)
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Mine is open and I couldn't care less what people think of my food choices. I rarely comment on other people's diary, at least in a negative way. But I sometimes ask for recipes! :)