Lean Cuisines, Smart ones, Michalenas' or Healthy Choice?

2»

Replies

• SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Subway - I pick one up on the way to work as I rarely get a lunchbreak. Under 300 cals for a lot of the lighter ones and filling too!

I'm with her. Yes it is "higher" in sodium, however, the fresh veggies really make-up for it in my opinion. I am the type where I will probably bring sandwiches to work anyway, so if I want fast, I do Subway. I get a 9 Grain Whole Wheat, Turkey, pepper jack, lettuce, cucumber, and green peppers for 320 calories. I am also SO much more satisfied after that than those microwave meals.

Microwave meals usually leave me starving (I have a BIG appetite haha)!

This. I actually ate a Lean Cuisine last week and ended up hungrier than when I had started eating. Not real food in my opinion. I'd rather hit Subway or, better yet, make my own.
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Lean Cuisines are my favorite out of the group, although the Healthy Choice Steamers are also really tasty. The chicken margherita pasta is really good - the steamers look the most like "real food" IMO.

I tend to alternate between those meals and sandwiches. I've never been big on eating leftovers for lunch and dinner and public transport and working in 2 different offices makes bringing salads and meals w/ many components quite tricky.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    They all taste like cardboard to me.
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    If I'm home alone I might have a Lean Pocket for lunch. It sucks cooking for one.

I suggest making a piece of meat the night before and then put it on your own sandwich/wrap/bun. A fast salad that is pretty good canned turkey/chicken and spinach/lettuce/whichever you prefer. Then a serving of dressing.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    If I'm home alone I might have a Lean Pocket for lunch. It sucks cooking for one.

It's great cooking for one! I can cook anything I like without worry about whether others will eat that or not. When I cook just for myself, I tend to cook LOTs of vegi too.

Just like others, I normally have leftover for lunch. Otherwise, make a sandwich or salad, etc. Those frozen meal taste bad, bad for you. I only tried once and swear never want to touch that again. :-)
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    I usually stick with Amy's if I don't have time to make something (we keep some in the freezer) - it's a prepackaged brand I trust. I did recently try a Lean Cuisine Veggie Cuisine Indian-Style Masala and it was decent (though kind of bland to probably cater to the regional palate..!).
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Those prepackaged meals are not good for anybody. They are loaded with sodium and have all kinds of preservatives/chemicals in them. I always precooked a chicken breast, sliced it, and put it on a sandwich. I also would put it in a tortilla w/ salsa and make a taco out of it to take with me.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    I usually stick with Amy's if I don't have time to make something (we keep some in the freezer) - it's a prepackaged brand I trust. I did recently try a Lean Cuisine Veggie Cuisine Indian-Style Masala and it was decent (though kind of bland to probably cater to the regional palate..!).

I like Amy's too. Just mind that sodium...
  • sallywilson06
    sallywilson06 Posts: 269 Member
    I've never heard of Amy's.. Which stores can you buy that at?
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    My regular ol grocery store has them (the web site has a locator: http://www.amys.com/buy/store-locator)

Amy's also has a few light in sodium choices..
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    The only ones that can fill me up are the Lean Cuisine pizzas. They are pretty tasty as well, but yes yes the sodium is outta control. I need to go back to making sandwiches.
  • sallywilson06
    sallywilson06 Posts: 269 Member
    I understand that the Sodium is pretty outrageous on these items, but for one meal a day I eat them and I never go over my sodium intake for the day according the MFP.
  • BREAKFAST SHAKE:
    Ingredients
    Banana - 1
    Strawberries - 7
    Granola - 28 grams
    Milk - 1 cup
    Flax seeds - 1 tsp
    Method:
    Blend well and serve immediately as it cannot be stored.
    Nutritional Value (per serving)
    Kcal - 320
    Protein - 10 grams
    Fat - 2 grams
    Vitamin C - 90 mg
    It also provides a good amount of manganese, calcium, vitamin D, riboflavin, zinc and selenium.
    Check out more recipes at: http://www.divinewellness.com/recipes