The 3 real reasons you’re still out of shape

Options
I am going to be blunt and straight forward with you all. If you are an emotional person and get offended easily please stop reading this blog; time for some tough love.

Number 3: Your eating habits are lazy!

Convenience is why we are lazy and fat. Throw away your microwave and start eating foods that are packaged and/or bagged at the grocery store. Stop buying foods in boxes and learn about the best foods for your health. Eliminating foods proteins, carbs, or fats out of your intake are hazardous. Getting in shape is not a “quick fix”. “Research has shown 95% of those who lose weight eventually gain it back…” so get in shape the right way. (Chasefreedom.com)

Number 2: You don’t now a lick about how to properly workout!

Let me ask you, how many hours have you spent in a kinesiology class and/or spent getting a fitness training certification? If your answer is little to none, you can’t expect to succeed. I am sure you wouldn’t take an exam without studying and expect a high grade, right? Cardio and weight training are a must. Weights do not build muscle, weights break down muscle. Do not expect to drop any more than 1 to 2 lbs a week. You are looking 10 weeks to drop 20 lbs and best.

Number 1: Media is creating a false reality.

The biggest loser, Lindora, and the lap band, all are examples of a false reality. The biggest loser is a great show and does help people in need, I will give the show that. What we don’t see off camera is that they are working out 24/7 with their personal trainer and eating foods prepared by a nutritional expert. Their world is fitness, no kids, work, low levels of outside stress, etc. Lindora does not incorporate resistance training, therefore you will have a difficult time “toning”. The lap band is, (in my mind) a cop out. Many people have tried every diet in the book, had personal trainers, and did everything they could think of but failed. Yes, you lose weight with the surgery and a lot of it, but an unhealthy heart and unhealthy heart skinny or fat.

I understand I have said some offensive comments and may have offended some, feel free to leave me comments if needed at www.coachk.webs.com and speak your mind. These are my personal opinions that I feel strongly about.

http://walking.about.com/od/treadmillworkouts/a/treadmillhold.htm
http://www.chasefreedom.com/weightloss.html
http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/setting-realistic-weight-loss-goals
http://www.articlesbase.com/nutrition-articles/fast-food-and-obesity-1338966.html
http://www.articlesbase.com/nutrition-articles/fast-food-and-obesity-1338966.html#ixzz1aUN8Kt7H

Replies

• cynfullcyn
    cynfullcyn Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Awesome Post! Had to repost to share :smile:
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    NICE.
    number 3 is for me! :)
    Everyone needs a reality check every once in a while!
  • lloydmel
    lloydmel Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I love this!
    If you offended anyone, then they are not in "reality land".
    Thanks for posting this; these are all things that bug the people that are doing things as close to the "right way" as possible.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bumping :heart:
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Why does someone need to take a kinesiology class or get a personal training certificate in order to get into shape? Do you need to be a plumber to succeed at taking a shower??

Ha ha. I am not out of shape, stinker.

blessings.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Well, the reason I'M still out of shape is I'm not done yet!
  • KettyLan
    KettyLan Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    You made some good points...some I dont agree with..
  • keinanbriggs
    Options
    sleepytexan

I think you missed the ananlogy

It helps to have the tools for success.... the same reason you need ingredents to make a good tasting dinner.
  • keinanbriggs
    Options
    luvlyluv

explain?
  • keinanbriggs
    Options
    HMonsterX

Great! you are on the right path, keep it up! I am not knocking anyones dedication and hardwork. Getting in shape is a contiuous process, progression is key. Please keep me updated and let me know when you reach your fitness goals. :)
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    Well, the reason I'M still out of shape is I'm not done yet!

^^^^^^^ THIS!!

And I totally agree with the OP. Then again, I'm a realist.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I think in addition to number 2, I have to be willing to motivate and push myself during workouts. I've worked with trainers who have trainers themselves, and it isn't because he doesn't know how to do his job. It's nice to have that outside perspective and motivation at the time.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Let me ask you, how many hours have you spent in a kinesiology class and/or spent getting a fitness training certification? If your answer is little to none, you can’t expect to succeed.

Good article except for the above. I think this is taking it way too far.

Learning how to properly lift is absolutely important and yes, most people do it wrong, but I think the above is a stretch.

Overall though, you said a lot of things that need to be heard and your intent is good.
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP to a degree. I've gotten back to cooking from scratch, not that I bought a lot of things in tins/boxes due to food allergies, though I am in the process of remaking my Grand-mere's recipes since every thing starts with 'make a roux'....:laugh:

Am I going to become a gym rat, or run a marathon anytime soon? Highly unlikely, but I am moving more than I did in the past, at my own pace so i don't hurt all ready achy joints (arthritis); I'm up to riding my bike an hour at a time now, and even though I'm going to have to hang it up over the winter it has given me enough endurance to tackle the elliptical, which I could barely cope with when our son first brought it over.

I gained 75 pounds over a ten year period; it crept up and I didn't really pay attention. I've now had a medical wake up call and I'm paying attention now. I know its going to take me well over a year to lose the weight and I'm good with that. My husband and our son and dil are on the journey with me and the support is lovely from them and on here. I'm glad our son told us about the site. :smile:
  • keinanbriggs
    Options
    Let me ask you, how many hours have you spent in a kinesiology class and/or spent getting a fitness training certification? If your answer is little to none, you can’t expect to succeed.

Good article except for the above. I think this is taking it way too far.

Learning how to properly lift is absolutely important and yes, most people do it wrong, but I think the above is a stretch.

Overall though, you said a lot of things that need to be heard and your intent is good.

Thank you! I pulled that out because Doctors spend hundreds of hours in practice so when they apply their knowledge it is the best there is. When it comes to your body. If you spend one day reading a fitness journal I am sure you will gain a lot of knowledge and train yourself that much better. Imagine if you had a legit certification under your belt. Our society puts 6 months of learning to drive.
  • keinanbriggs
    Options
    bllowry

I want to say great job, I can only imagine the struggles you have/are living through. This blog was aimed towards to general "able" public. There are many factors to attribute to getting out of shape that are outside of our control. I feel upwards of 80% of the factors are excuses.
  • DWilbanks
    DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't agree. There are plenty of people on here who never took a class to learn how to excercise, and yet they've dropped many pounds and have achieved their goals. They did it by sheer will power and finding what works best for them. Everyone is not the same, rolled up into one little package. Everyone is different, and everyone has their own way of doing something that works best for them.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    FYI, a microwave is also the best way to steam veggies without loosing nutrients.
  • mushalek
    Options
    AMEN! i'm getting so annoyed making meal plans for my friends and then see them at the drive thru of mcdonalds and then they ask me why they aren't losing, this isn't a quick fix its a lifestyle!!
  • soulatomic
    Options
    I use my microwave to reheat my healthy leftovers. Not everything is 100 percent evil.