New to low carb, can somebody look at my meal plan?

Options

Replies

• pollyrana
    Options
    phew....lol...
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Troll-house cookies are low carb.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Pick lower glycemic fruits like berries and plums and ones with lots of fiber. I also try to eat protein with every meal - it will help attenuate the insulin response if you're concerned about that.

Unless you're diabetic, insulin response has no relevance to body weight (and composition) changes in the context of daily nutrition. Energy balance does (calories in - calories out).

Gee, both my doctor and my dietician totally disagree with you. Do you have a medical degree?
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Gee, both my doctor and my dietician totally disagree with you. Do you have a medical degree?
    Ask them for scientific research to back up their claims, then. Randomized clinical trials performed on adults who eat balanced diets and preferably do not lead sedentary lifestyles.

If your doctor told you smoking was not dangerous, would you agree or disagree with him/her? Why? If you disagree, HE'S A DOCTOR! HOW COULD YOU? If you agree, then that would be ridiculous.

See what I'm getting at?
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Ask them for scientific research to back up their claims, then. Randomized clinical trials performed on adults who eat balanced diets and preferably do not lead sedentary lifestyles.

If your doctor told you smoking was not dangerous, would you agree or disagree with him/her? Why? If you disagree, HE'S A DOCTOR! HOW COULD YOU? If you agree, then that would be ridiculous.

See what I'm getting at?

My dietician gave me plenty of scientific research to back up her claims. Plus she's been doing this for years and has seen the results on many, many patients herself. But nothing I say is going to change your mind, so I vote we don't argue the point any longer. You eat your way and I'll eat mine and let's not worry about it.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    My dietician gave me plenty of scientific research to back up her claims. Plus she's been doing this for years and has seen the results on many, many patients herself. But nothing I say is going to change your mind, so I vote we don't argue the point any longer. You eat your way and I'll eat mine and let's not worry about it.
    And I bet there were flaws with the research designs (non-isocaloric diets, not human models, specific to diabetic patients, etc.) OR the research is vastly outdated. Or both.

Nothing you say will change my mind UNLESS you prove it. I could dig up loads of research showing glycemic index to be meaningless for people without clinical conditions. Would you accept that? Or would you continue to believe someone else solely based on their title rather than the efficacy of their claims?
  • LowCarbForLife
    LowCarbForLife Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    OP if you want information on low carb diets this is NOT the place to get it. Go to proteinpower.com and look at Dr. Eades blog or read the forums there or look at lowcarber.org. Or you could stay here and be convinced by anonymous internet trolls. Your call.

Some fun reading: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18370664
  • LowCarbForLife
    LowCarbForLife Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    OP if you want information on low carb diets this is NOT the place to get it. Go to proteinpower.com and look at Dr. Eades blog or read the forums there or look at lowcarber.org. Or you could stay here and be convinced by anonymous internet trolls. Your call.

Some fun reading: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18370664
    A study for the naysayers to chew on: http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/88/4/1617.long

I have more where that came from.
  • auctoritas
    Options
    Oh untz is trolling. All the research he can present is equally or more flawed than any research low-carbers can present.
  • Leanne1795
    Options
    I see the low carb haters are out in force today. Gotta love them. :love: Lol.
    I'm a low carber and I love the lifestyle. I also work out at the gym and haven't dropped dead yet.:happy:
    Add me if you wish.:smile:
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    hmmm...I'm a little confused. My trainer told me that carbs (and sugar) get turned in to insulin and insulin goes in to your fat. I'll have to ask him to clarify.

your trainer is correct.

When you eat carbs insulin is released into the blood stream. IF those carbs are not burned up right then (and most times they are not) then insulin rushes the carbs to the cells to be stored as fat.

This is reason why they tell diabetics to eat low carb now days. Because when you are taking insulin and eating significant amount of carbs it will cause you to have rapid weight gain.

That is the layman's version.
  • Grokette
    Options
    There is no physiological NEED what so ever for carbs. They are the one macronutrient that is NOT necessary to live healthy.

Your body burns sugar - that is its energy source. You need carbs. That being said:

There are "good carbs" and "bad carbs". "Bad carbs", like table sugar, sucrose, get digested very quickly and spike your insulin (like all carbs do) - your body burns those carbs - giving you energy (aka sugar rush). This is generally followed by a feeling of being tired because your sugar level drops quickly once you've metabolized the sugars. You'll probably have more cravings for food because your body needs something. Then you eat more, which means more calories, and you get fat. Its the cravings that make us fat - not the carbs. Plus they are empty calories without any real nutritional value, other than sugar for energy.

"Good carbs", like those found in whole foods such as whole grain bread, brown rice, and fruit are not metabolized as quickly by the body because they come with fiber and other things which helps slow the digestive process down and resulting in a much more gradual insulin spike and slower digestion of the sugars - you don't get a sugar rush and you don't get the crash. You feel fuller longer - you don't eat as much, fewer calories. Plus the sugar in fruit, fructose, also comes with some VERY good for you nutrients.

Really, you don't have to avoid carbs - you just want good carbs that come with fiber not highly processed carbs like those in baked goods. You do need fiber and a good source of fiber are whole grains.

But, your meal plan. Add fiber - green vegetables are a good source. Actually, add more veggies in general - they have nutrients that you're body isn't going to get from the eggs and chicken.

Going really low carb isn't necessarily going to hurt you, but it means you're eating a lot of fat and protein without necessarily getting the fiber that you need to clean out your system. Which may result in higher cholesterol and that's bad for the heart. I tried really low carb for about a week and couldn't sleep. Had a cup of brown rice for dinner one night and slept like a baby. But every body is different.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    I'm trying to eat good (non carb) calories and not bad calories (carbs) to lose weight. mynameisuntz is now telling me that good/bad calories don't matter?

He's correct.

There is no such thing as good or bad calories, because a "calorie" by definition is a unit of energy (like a joule). Once you understand how calories and energy balance work (and perhaps the science and scientific laws associated with it), you'll begin to realize that your micro-analysis of short term effects of certain macronutrients is completely irrelevant in the context of daily nutrition.

I am going to call you out on this one.

Your body does not store fat based on the units of energy, but rather via chemical processes and triggers such as insulin, leptin, etc...

Caloric balance (calories in vs calories out) is only one of about 4 triggers that cause your fat cells to take in more then they spit out.

Think of your fat cells being a bath tub.

The tap is open and water is pouring in. Your caloric intake is the water pressure. But if the tap is only open half way (due to low insulin levels, and the affect of leptins, etc...) your fat cells will fill up slowly.

Simultaneously your fat cells are also ALWAYS giving up energy. So the plug in the tub is always unplugged. How fast the tub drains depends on how much water (pressure) is in the tub compared to the pressure in the drain, and the size of the drain opening.

We can lower the pressure in the drain pipe (blood sugar and trigyclerides) via exercise and eating less, or by EATING LESS CARBS, We can create a larger drain via exercise as well which allows our body to more efficiently burn fat (such as when we are catabolic, which happens when insulin is low, which happens when we eat less carbs).

To say a calorie is a calorie is true in PHYSICS, NOT biology. A calorie is a unit of measure for heat, not energy for body systems. Your body does not treat a calorie of protein anywhere nearly the same as it treats a calorie of carbs, or fat.

Other factors, fat cannot cross into adipose tissue without carbs. It cannot happen. So if you ate ONLY fat and protein, and no carbs, you would never EVER increase your body fat stores no matter how many calories you ate. Fat must split and bind with carbs to cross into fat cells. Thus, those eating very low carb simply lack excess carbs to combine with fat, and allow dietary fat to cross the barrier into the fat cell.

A calorie is a calorie is a total myth in biology.

Your hormone balance (which can be greatly manipulated by diet irrespective of calories) and is also manipulated by your genetics, is much more important in determining how fast the fat cells intake for storage as opposed to output for use in the body.

At no time, EVER, do you fat cells only store and never discharge. It is a an ongoing state of flowing in and flowing out. Only the rate of intake and rate of outtake can be influenced, and your total caloric consumption is only one, and possibly the least, important factor in determining how many "calories" get jammed into your fat cells and remain there.

To say a calorie is a calorie ignores the medical facts that:

-Fats cannot cross into adipose tissue (fat cells) without abundant carbs being present, and thus cannot be stored as fat
    -Insulin causes fat cells to accept blood born nutrients at a much faster rate (same is true for muscles)
    -That other hormonal and biological processes influence the rate at which fat cells take in, and output nutrients to the blood

So no sir and with all due respect, a calorie is only a calorie when burned in a furnace, not in the body.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Other factors, fat cannot cross into adipose tissue without carbs. It cannot happen. So if you ate ONLY fat and protein, and no carbs, you would never EVER increase your body fat stores no matter how many calories you ate. Fat must split and bind with carbs to cross into fat cells. Thus, those eating very low carb simply lack excess carbs to combine with fat, and allow dietary fat to cross the barrier into the fat cell.
    So if you eat 20,000 calories of fat and protein, you will never increase your body fat stores?

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    your trainer is correct.

When you eat carbs insulin is released into the blood stream. IF those carbs are not burned up right then (and most times they are not) then insulin rushes the carbs to the cells to be stored as fat.

This is reason why they tell diabetics to eat low carb now days. Because when you are taking insulin and eating significant amount of carbs it will cause you to have rapid weight gain.

That's NOT why diabetics eat low carb. They eat low carb because excessive blood glucose = dangerous. There is not an added risk of fat gain as insulin isn't even secreted in patients who are diabetic. It's for general health purposes.

Furthermore, carbs are stored as GLYCOGEN and synthesized as such. The idea that carbs are stored as fat upon ingestion is ridiculous. Carbs are only stored as fat via the metabolic pathway known as de novo lipogenesis in the presence of extreme overfeeding once glycogen stores are maxed out. It would take a diet that is far above your maintenance level intake with 700+ CHO per day for multiple days - depending on the body of the person in question.
  • racergirl1991
    racergirl1991 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Yes, according to the labels on the food I have in the house, it's 20-25g carbs. I thought that fruit/sugar made you fat? I'll add some carrots or something though.

I follow the Zone Diet and it alows fruits because they are complex carbs and they have fiber, its the processed stuff you want to eliminate. They recommend approx. 27 grams of carbs per meal. Look up the glycemic index for fruits and veggies and pick the ones that have the lower amounts. Hope this helps!
  • racergirl1991
    racergirl1991 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Breakfast:
    2eggs 6egg whites
    3 strips bacon or one piece ham (84g)

snack
    14g nuts (preferably almonds, but I'm poor right now so peanuts for now)

Lunch:
    Whey Protein shake with water
    two pieces ham (168g)
    hard boiled egg

snack
    14g nuts

Dinner
    Beef top round 112g
    2 cups broccoli
    Big spinich salad with olive oil and sunflower seed kernals

please advise
    I would add a salad with lots of veggies to lunch and some fruit with lots of fiber to breakfast.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Yes, it is. You can't tell me (who is diabetic) what you THINK you know. I said it in the best layman terms I can without getting too sciencey and technical about it.

I will not go back and forth arguing with you like you did in the other forum last night.

If you are so against low carb - then do not come into these forums.
    your trainer is correct.

That's NOT why diabetics eat low carb. They eat low carb because excessive blood glucose = dangerous. There is not an added risk of fat gain as insulin isn't even secreted in patients who are diabetic. It's for general health purposes.

Furthermore, carbs are stored as GLYCOGEN and synthesized as such. The idea that carbs are stored as fat upon ingestion is ridiculous. Carbs are only stored as fat via the metabolic pathway known as de novo lipogenesis in the presence of extreme overfeeding once glycogen stores are maxed out. It would take a diet that is far above your maintenance level intake with 700+ CHO per day for multiple days - depending on the body of the person in question.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Yes, it is. You can't tell me (who is diabetic) what you THINK you know. I said it in the best layman terms I can without getting too sciencey and technical about it.

I will not go back and forth arguing with you like you did in the other forum last night.

If you are so against low carb - then do not come into these forums.
    You are telling me the reason diabetic people don't eat higher carbs is to prevent fat gain? Under what mechanism would they gain fat via carbs if they don't even elicit an INSULIN RESPONSE? High levels of blood glucose = very dangerous, as that's how limbs get amputated and blindness occurs. The main reason to adopt a lower carb diet is to prevent losing a foot; not gaining an extra pound of fat.

Way to avoid my statement regarding CHO metabolization. Do you disagree that carbs are stored as glycogen? Or do you believe they are immediately stored as fat? Can you outline the conditions under which de novo lipogenesis can occur? Because if you can't, I don't believe you are in a position to talk about the conditions under which carbs are converted to and stored as lipids.

Come on. You sent me a private message saying I have no idea what I'm talking about. Let's see you prove me wrong.
  • Nette_54
    Nette_54 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I can understand you wanting to be on a low carb diet but you are not having that I can see, surely that diary doesn't get to 1500 calories, I struggle to eat 1500 calories and I eat a lot more than that. I was seeing a dietitian and she said by not eating carbs at night by the time breakfast came around I was putting my body into starvation mode again because of the lack of food over night. When the body goes into starvation mode it store the food you eat as fat because it doesn't know when the next lot of food will come.
This discussion has been closed.