Going to the gym for 2 months and NO CHANGE!!!

Options
I have been going to the gym for 3 months now with an average of 3-5 times a week. I work full time and have two small children in school so its not always easy to find the time but yet I have been making it a point to go. I take zumba classes, body combat, weight training and elliptical or bike. I am finding it very hard to stay motivated because i am not seeing any positive changes. In fact i went on vacation (and splurged A LOT) and I am two pounds heavier than what I was. How long is it supposed to take to lose some weight????

Replies

• AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    everyone's different. it took me 4 - 6 weeks to really notice the changes although I wasn't really weighing myself in the beginning. but 3 months is a long time to not see anything IMO. maybe you need to change something up. if you make your diary public, one of us may be able to suggest some changes that could help?
  • bajababytn
    Options
    I have found that going to the gym may help me reshape my body, but I don't lose weight that way. The only way for many women to lose is by dieting. Exercise is great, though, because you build muscle, which increases your BMR (basal metabolic rate), so you may be able to lose at a faster pace than without exercise. Also, study after study has shown that people who exercise regularly are more successful at sustaining weight loss long term than those who don't. The upshot? To lose weight, you'll have to cut calories.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Your diet needs to be 110% in check before you even walk into a gym. Do you know how many calories you are burning in a day? Are you tracking your foods and eating at a 500-1000 calorie or 20% calorie deficit?

Questions needing answered.
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm too distracted by your Wax!Rob to respond.....heehee
  • kcwonder
    kcwonder Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It would help if your food diary was accessible. Exercise alone may not be enough to lose weight without tracking food intake.
  • ksabell
    Options
    fitness is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise! this is my downfall also..
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I would speak to a trainer in the gym who can advise on some good fat burning exercises. I see a lot of people in the gym not really knowing what they are doing or focusing more on the tv or even reading a book. I learnt to go to the gym for less time (I used to go for 2 hours at a time), but work my *kitten* off through interval training. Or doing a dvd like Jillian Michaels, they really fat burn! Try to keep positive. The other thing people do a lot is because they've been to the gym 'reward' themselves with something to eat. Most classes I do only burn about 400 cals which is obviously great but if you then eat a 'treat' like a chocolate bar on top of your normal diet, your body will still be taking on more than it needs. I hope this is of some help. It must be frustrating :)
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Your diet needs to be 110% in check before you even walk into a gym. Do you know how many calories you are burning in a day? Are you tracking your foods and eating at a 500-1000 calorie or 20% calorie deficit?

This is the key. Gym is for fitness, diet is for weight loss.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options

This is the key. Gym is for fitness, diet is for weight loss.

Further reiteration may be needed. Exercise does not cause weight loss. A Caloric deficit causes weight loss.
  • Jennis0212
    Jennis0212 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have thought about putting my diary public but i am not sure i am quite there yet. lol. At first i was trying to stay around 1200 calories but i found it to be pretty difficult and when i went to my doctor she suggested maybe 1500 calorie diet so i am trying to stay under that. I dont think I would ever be able to live on a 1000 calories as a lifetime thing and I dont want to yo yo. i have done enough of that. I got my blood tested and the only thing that came back was that my vitamin D was low. So now i take supplements but i am not even sure what role that has with weight loss anyway. I used to take a lot of diet pills from high school on and this is also the first time i am trying to get completely off of those because i know they are unhealthy but time to time i take one still because i think thats the reason why.
  • Jennis0212
    Options
    LOL that really made me laugh at the Rob wax. we can only dream
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

this

fitness is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise! this is my downfall also..
    and this
  • AloyMomNwife
    AloyMomNwife Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling all too well! I had been working out 4-6 days a week for around 8 months and my pants were still choking me. I talked to a personal trainer friend and, unfortunately, she said I definitely had to modify my diet and of course, eat less (I was really overeating when I started login in my meals in MFP ). I haven't given up any food, except maybe baked sweets for now. I disagree with depriving yourself of foods you will definitely eat again at some point in your life. Portion control has been very effective for me and not eating my kids' leftovers. Good luck!!
  • masterfitness4u
    Options

Amen! What's in your diary? I was the same way, taking Zumba, step, working out with weights, running, cardio and I didn't change much, but my my diet changed and the weight is slipping off me like hot butter =)
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    fitness is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise!
    This is completely true. If you are not putting enough fuel in your body then your body won't lose weight.

You're Dr is correct, you need to eat at least 1500 calories a day on the days you work out, and probably more! For example I've lost 55 + lbs since May 2011 eating back 95% of my calories, and the weeks I over do it and do not eat back most of my exercise calories I do not lose.

Try it for a week, eat 1500-1800 calories and you may see a downward shift on the scale.
  • tinydancer24
    Options
    My trainer has always said, the change shows in the way your clothes fit first. You are building muscle and most likely losing inches. Don't give up, I have been going to the gym for 4 years and I know that even though the scale has not always reflected my efforts, I am healthier then I have ever been. Good luck.
  • cwglosin4vaca
    cwglosin4vaca Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Now I can relate to this but I am a little different I cant eat all of my exercise cals, because I have a BMI scale at home, it says to stay my same weight, I need to eat 1503 cals but if I eat that I dont lose....I try to stay at or below 1200 and if I exercise, a little more. YOu have to find what is working for you and since nothing is working, then you need to change something up(maybe your diet) the healthier you eat, the more you can eat.
  • Jennis0212
    Options
    So for everyone that has lost weight... you are just cutting back calories or are you following a specific diet? there are way too many diets out there, its confusing sometimes. And if you are exercising and earning calories are you "eating" them or still sticking to your daily goal?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    So for everyone that has lost weight... you are just cutting back calories or are you following a specific diet? there are way too many diets out there, its confusing sometimes. And if you are exercising and earning calories are you "eating" them or still sticking to your daily goal?

You don't really need to follow a specific diet. These are the things you need to do:

1. Find out your TDEE which is Total Daily Energy Expedenture. It's the amount of calories you burn in a 24 hour period doing everything from exercising, walking around, showering, eating food, having sex, sleeping, walking your dog, yell at your significant other...whatever you do.

2. Eat a 20% deficit under that TDEE calorie number.

3. Get a minimum of .5-1g of protein per lb of your bodyweight.

4. Get a minimum of .35g of fats per lb of your bodyweight.

5. Consume 2-4 servings of fruits and 4-6 servings of vegetables every day.

6. Drink enough water everyday so you are peeing clear.

7. Get 6-8 hours of sleep every night.

8. Exercise doing strength training 2-3x a week for 60 minute sessions, and then cardio 2-3x a week for 30 minute sessions. Take atleast 1 day off completely.

9. Get yourself a GOOD multivitamin, and also take fish oil.

10. Be consistent, patient, and determined. The weight will come off.

/the end
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Specific diets are basically cheat sheets for getting healthy. Yes, they can work, but they only work as long as you have the cheat sheet with you.

Learn how to eat well and learn what works for you and it'll be MUCH easier to have long term success.

There are 100 tips and rules for losing weight. The more of them you do, the better your chances will be for success. But ultimately getting started is all about trial and error until you find what works for you.

I'm a perfect example. Yes, all those rules posted above are generally considered to be keys to sucess. But they are not hard and fast requirements for EVERY person ALL the time.

I've have great success and I only follow about 3 of those points. I don't eat enough fruit. I eat NO vegetables. I don't sleep enough. I don't drink enough. I don't take a multi or fish oil. I don't lift.

I eat a lot of protein and try to monitor my carbs and fats. I do a lot of cardio because, frankly, it's what I enjoy. I watch my daily caloric intake and log my foods/workouts. My goal is long term progress, not short term "wins". I don't care if my weight fluctuates day to day as long as the long term trend is down. This is what works for me.