New to low carb, can somebody look at my meal plan?

Options

Replies

• HunterCML
    Options
    A lot of people in this thread do not realize that carbs are very rarely ever stored as fat. This phenomenon is called "de novo lipogenesis" and only occurs in massive overfeeding of carbs (about 700-900grams per day for multiple days). Carbohydrates are used for immediate oxidation and energy or stored as glycogen for later use.

I recommend that some of you educate yourselves by reading this article: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I can understand you wanting to be on a low carb diet but you are not having that I can see, surely that diary doesn't get to 1500 calories, I struggle to eat 1500 calories and I eat a lot more than that. I was seeing a dietitian and she said by not eating carbs at night by the time breakfast came around I was putting my body into starvation mode again because of the lack of food over night. When the body goes into starvation mode it store the food you eat as fat because it doesn't know when the next lot of food will come.

Starvation mode does not occur that fast, meaning overnight.

The key to a low carb plan is to keep fat intake high, protein moderate and carbs low.

I have been low carbing off and on for the past 8 years and had kept 100 pound weight loss maintained until i had a car accident in 2008 in which i gained back about 65 pounds in a very short time frame.

I dedicated myself 1000% in February 2011 and will never eat another way again as this is how i maintain control of ny medical issues.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options

The key to a low carb plan is to keep fat intake high, protein moderate and carbs low.

I have been low carbing off and on for the past 8 years and had kept 100 pound weight loss maintained until i had a car accident in 2008 in which i gained back about 65 pounds in a very short time frame.

I dedicated myself 1000% in February 2011 and will never eat another way again as this is how i maintain control of ny medical issues.
    Please respond.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Diabetics eat low carb for 2 reasons. One is YES, to prevent weight gain and the other reason is to control blood glucose levels so the body does not have to keep over producing insulin, which again leads to uncontrollable weight gain.
    Yes, it is. You can't tell me (who is diabetic) what you THINK you know. I said it in the best layman terms I can without getting too sciencey and technical about it.

I will not go back and forth arguing with you like you did in the other forum last night.

If you are so against low carb - then do not come into these forums.
    You are telling me the reason diabetic people don't eat higher carbs is to prevent fat gain? Under what mechanism would they gain fat via carbs if they don't even elicit an INSULIN RESPONSE? High levels of blood glucose = very dangerous, as that's how limbs get amputated and blindness occurs. The main reason to adopt a lower carb diet is to prevent losing a foot; not gaining an extra pound of fat.

Way to avoid my statement regarding CHO metabolization. Do you disagree that carbs are stored as glycogen? Or do you believe they are immediately stored as fat? Can you outline the conditions under which de novo lipogenesis can occur? Because if you can't, I don't believe you are in a position to talk about the conditions under which carbs are converted to and stored as lipids.

Come on. You sent me a private message saying I have no idea what I'm talking about. Let's see you prove me wrong.
  • Timdog57
    Timdog57 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I can understand you wanting to be on a low carb diet but you are not having that I can see, surely that diary doesn't get to 1500 calories, I struggle to eat 1500 calories and I eat a lot more than that. I was seeing a dietitian and she said by not eating carbs at night by the time breakfast came around I was putting my body into starvation mode again because of the lack of food over night. When the body goes into starvation mode it store the food you eat as fat because it doesn't know when the next lot of food will come.

Oh no!! Your dietician is very wrong if they told you that. The research shows that "starvation mode" doesn't begin until you've fasted for 60 (or more) hours, and the research also shows that in the short term (up to 48 hours) there's an increase in metabolism when fasting.

If your dietician said that to you, I would strongly recomend you find a new dietician!
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Diabetics eat low carb for 2 reasons. One is YES, to prevent weight gain and the other reason is to control blood glucose levels so the body does not have to keep over producing insulin, which again leads to uncontrollable weight gain.
    I'm not too up to date on how the symptoms of type I differ from type II (I dated a girl with type I, and my cousin has it - I just know type I is genetic and type II is environmental), but high carb doesn't necessarily = weight gain in type I assuming your insulin regimen is solid. How does this differ in type II?

And why are you ignoring my questions regarding the body's response to carbs and how they are metabolized? Do you believe carbs are stored as glycogen or fat? Under what conditions will carbs be converted to fat?
  • HunterCML
    Options

With consideration to the Laws of Thermodynamics and the biochemical metabolic pathways of carbohydrate oxidation and storage; can you please explain to me in detail how carbohydrate intake can effect body weight/composition in a way that negates basic energy balance properties?

Please respond.
  • Mike201011BB
    Options
    Oh untz is trolling. All the research he can present is equally or more flawed than any research low-carbers can present.

This x1000000.

Just give up Untz you cheeky mate.

not srs. Please respond.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Oh untz is trolling. All the research he can present is equally or more flawed than any research low-carbers can present.
    Yeah, those isocaloric diets where protein intake is consistent along with activity levels? Oh, and done on humans? Major design flaws there!

Stick to your research done on rats or done in diets that DON'T CONTROL FOR CALORIES.
  • Timdog57
    Options
    So, I understand that you guys don't believe that carbs make you fat, but do you also think that restricting carb intake does not increase fat burning?
  • Mike201011BB
    Options
    My name is Untz too.

Is such a thing even possible?

Yes it is.
  • Mike201011BB
    Options
    So, I understand that you guys don't believe that carbs make you fat, but do you also think that restricting carb intake does not increase fat burning?

Fat is burned through a decreased amount of calories below your maintenance. End of. Dont overthink things.

You could eat no carbs at all, just a load of protein, and still gain alot of fat.
  • Grokette
    Options
    I'm not too up to date on how the symptoms of type I differ from type II (I dated a girl with type I, and my cousin has it - I just know type I is genetic and type II is environmental), but high carb doesn't necessarily = weight gain in type I assuming your insulin regimen is solid. How does this differ in type II?

And why are you ignoring my questions regarding the body's response to carbs and how they are metabolized? Do you believe carbs are stored as glycogen or fat? Under what conditions will carbs be converted to fat?

I am at work and on my phone for the short bit. I will respond when i return to my office.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Hypocaloric diets increase fat burning. The difference between a high carb diet and low carb diet (assuming protein intake is consistent) does not pan out long term.

That is, low carb diets see more immediate weight loss due to water loss (remember 1g stored carbs holds 3-5g water). After 3-6+ months, all studies show the weight loss between higher carb diets to be comparable to low carb diets assuming calories and protein are the same. Along with activity level.

So - no, there is no metabolic advantage to a low carb diet.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Fat is burned through a decreased amount of calories below your maintenance. End of. Dont overthink things.

You could eat no carbs at all, just a load of protein, and still gain alot of fat.

^ This.
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Why does every thread about low carb/atkins/primal/paleo have to turn into a ****ing debate?

Do you guys not have anything better to do?
  • Nette_54
    Nette_54 Posts: 265 Member
    Options

I didn't say "starvation mode" starts overnight if I skip carbs on one night but it is an overall thing and it was my qualified dietitian who my doctor referred me to so I trust her knowledge on the matter of weight loss

Besides that I certainly wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life with hardly any carbs on a "diet" that means I cannot eat yummy things ever again. The best thing to do is learn to eat in a healthy way where so I can still have the treats sometimes.
  • Timdog57
    Options

Okay, but do you not think that fat metabolism is increased when carb intake is low? What does the body use for energy if it doesn't have carbs coming in?
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Okay, but do you not think that fat metabolism is increased when carb intake is low? What does the body use for energy if it doesn't have carbs coming in?
    Missing half the picture.

When you reduce carbs, keep protein consistent, and subsequently increase fat - what do you think all that fat is getting stored as?

Dietary fat is immediately stored as fat. The catch to a low carb diet which DOES result in a higher fat burn is this: you also GAIN more fat due to increased dietary fat. So you burn more fat because of the fact that you are also gaining more fat.

Higher carbs means you gain less fat and burn less fat. Higher fat means you gain more fat and burn more fat. But the NET fat burn is the same in both cases.

Make sense?
  • Mike201011BB
    Options

What Untz said...
This discussion has been closed.