Does Weight Loss Make You a Happier Person?

Options
2»

Replies

• mrivera713
    mrivera713 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is helping me to get to that happy place. I know that I was feeling this excited when I started school a few years ago and past some classes. It made me want to conquer the world. I started thinking about losing weight. Same thing when I learned that I could hike. I started feeling that high of .... accomplishment.

I dont' think weight loss is making me a happier person, for me it's more like making a choice to set a goal and going through the hardship to reach that goal and starting to make progress towards it.... I haven't reached my goal yet, but now that you asked this question, I realize, I better be prepared to have some new goals when I'm at my desired weight if I want to stay happy... And it may not be a weight goal, it may be to finish school or save up for a trip or buy a new house or something like that.... :)
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I'll let you know when I get there...
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I'll let you know when I get there...
    Absolutely looking forward. :love:
  • albayin
    Options
    Subjective. More confident, maybe. But some people struggle with weight loss and it turns them into to mean nasty people.
    Yes, I see this too. A friend of ours felt extremely grumpy when he was trying to lose weight. The thing is he is a super nice guy for the most of time.
  • Stripycat
    Stripycat Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I took up running as a tool to help deal with depression - the weight loss is a pleasant side effect, which in itself does make me feel more confident.

When I've had a good hard run in the morning, I know I've done something that most people haven't, and I know it's definitely the most physically difficult thing I'll do that day, which gives me a sense of achievement, even more of a buzz if I've pushed myself to run faster or further than I did on my last run. That, on top of all the happy hormones the exercise floods my system with, is my natural prozac!

Eating healthy really has an effect on my wellbeing too - I love eating colourful veg, nuts, fruit. If I eat junky easy rubbish for a couple of days I can feel the difference - I become sluggish and short tempered.

The scales tell me I'm losing weight, I know I'm feeling better. My goal is the latter, not the former. I don't have an ideal weight, I just want to feel happy, confident, capable and well.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • hollymcd1027
    Options
    I don't think its losing the actual pounds that have made me a happier person. I think its having set a goal for myself and finally accomplishing it. Knowing that I have made my life healthier just gives me more and more confidence to attack that next goal.

I guess I'm learly of relating your happiness level with your weight. There is just too much other baggage tied into that one for me!

Granted it is nice to hear the compliments and get to buy new clothes... but there are way more benefits than that... and its the other things that really make me happier.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I think I've change my eating habits which has changed my body chemistry which has changed my brain chemistry.

I thinks somebody should do a study on this....

Whether happiness is a temporary kind from hearing compliments and feeling socially acceptable
    Or the longer-term kind that is a sense of well-being that comes from a chemical reaction?
  • albayin
    Options
    I think I've change my eating habits which has changed my body chemistry which has changed my brain chemistry.

I thinks somebody should do a study on this....
    I think there are studies done on certain foods that can positively change your mood. So indirectly it has been done? I don't know.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I think people who are grumpy when losing weight are doing it wrong.

Short term, faddy diets make you grumpy. Doing things you really don't like, eating what you don't want, not having what you do want. That's why we always say on here make it a lifestyle change, and make it one you can stick with and are happy doing. If you cant do a fully healthy and clean, just make your diet healthIER, do more active things you ENJOY, so you don't feel like you are punishing yourself.
  • d2rala
    d2rala Posts: 54
    Options
    There is something called a "runner's high", it has to do with the release of endorphins that exercise promotes. Regular exercise also works to relieve stress.
    In my opinion, the actual weight loss can't "make" me happy, but all of the benefits to losing the weight can help me retain my sense of humor. (better nutrition, less stress, better sleep patterns, generally feeling more attractive...)
  • ms78
    ms78 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It makes me more confident and makes life easier. No more constantly wearing long sleeves or long trousers in hot weather to cover up my figure. No more shopping to suit my shape- I pick out clothes because I like them not just the way they cover me up!
  • mmoyer1978
    mmoyer1978 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just feel better all around and that makes me happy. I have more confidence and more energy. I can play with my kids more. I don't come home from my sit-down job feeling tired. I am better mentally and physically. I no longer have high blood pressure and I have collar bones now. Who knew just having collar bones could make you feel so much better?
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    It made me happier too! I liked how clothes fit and that I could wear things with confidence!!!
  • Stripycat
    Stripycat Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just feel better all around and that makes me happy. I have more confidence and more energy. I can play with my kids more. I don't come home from my sit-down job feeling tired. I am better mentally and physically. I no longer have high blood pressure and I have collar bones now. Who knew just having collar bones could make you feel so much better?

Hurray for collar bones! I've got 2 of them now, which I've never noticed before. They're both been broken in different places over the years, so they look a bit wonky, but I'm so happy to see them!
  • lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I know that my learning to swim is making me feel happier than ever!
    I have enjoyed the compliments and the fitting into nicer clothes absolutely , but the actual accomplishment of learning something that I know for a *fact* I would never have done at 21 stone 9 pounds (303lbs) makes me happier than I can possibly describe!

(Still learning by the way, but I'm getting there ;) )
  • HoneyDancer
    Options
    I feel lighter (not because of the weight though) and more carefree whenever I lose weight and stick to a healthy eating plan so in a sense yes, I guess I am happier.
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    More confident.. heck yes! I can talk to people that I would never ever have talked to before because I feel so much more confidence. I see myself diffrently now... I still see fat sometimes but other times I feel skinny. Its hit and miss sometimes! Weightloss doesnt really make one happier, just able to view things diffrently.

I agree! I've gotten a big confidence boost, and I haven't even lost 10 lbs. yet! I'm on my way to becoming a social butterfly :bigsmile: