Protein before or after workout? Both?

Options

Replies

• glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Casein (Slow digesting) protein is very good when you take it befor eyou go to bed.. .it rebuilds the muscles all night long!! Cottage cheese is good source of Casein protein if you don't want to buy a supplement
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Casein (Slow digesting) protein is very good when you take it befor eyou go to bed.. .it rebuilds the muscles all night long!! Cottage cheese is good source of Casein protein if you don't want to buy a supplement

nah bro, you need one of these.

2wdnli1.jpg
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    lol you are freaken hillarious... I have a degree, I am not just someone that makes up things like you... Master's degree in exercise SCIENCE>..... sorry that you just listen to hear say :)

You mean to tell me that you wasted $150,000 on an education that you could have gotten for $1.50 in late charges at the public library? Your master's degree in exercise science says that you have to have a post workout meal 30 mins and no later than 60 mins after exercise?

Guess what bro.

You wasted your time and money. =)
  • joejccva71
    Options

Milk, cheese, yogurt have casein in them as well.
  • glenr79
    Options
    yeah !! Milk is 82% casein, and 18% whey!!! Some milk and yogurt, or milk and cottage cheese would be a good midnight snack
  • glenr79
    Options
    you think I went to school to read about a post workout shake?? lol you sound like a real winner
    lol you are freaken hillarious... I have a degree, I am not just someone that makes up things like you... Master's degree in exercise SCIENCE>..... sorry that you just listen to hear say :)

You mean to tell me that you wasted $150,000 on an education that you could have gotten for $1.50 in late charges at the public library? Your master's degree in exercise science says that you have to have a post workout meal 30 mins and no later than 60 mins after exercise?

Guess what bro.

You wasted your time and money. =)
  • glenr79
    Options
    I could post a million things for you to read too, but I am not going to go to your level... it is in my textbooks, not just some crap off the internet.... if you don't believe me look up the 30-60 minute post workout anabolic window. This is your bodies greatest chance of gaining muscle, yes you can the rest of the day.. .but to see the most gains this is when you do it :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    You might want to check the date published on those textbooks.
  • CSelf1
    CSelf1 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Yeah Glen, don't you know that EVERYTHING you find on the internet is 100% true and the only thing you should live by?
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Yeah Glen, don't you know that EVERYTHING you find on the internet is 100% true and the only thing you should live by?
    Wait, whom is this supporting?
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Glen are you saying that Lyle McDonald, Alan Aragon, and Martin Berkhan aren't correct? That they are full of broscience because YOU have a "masters degree"?

Is that what you're going to tell me? Just answer yes or no...I don't need a whole paragraph.

Also do me one favor? Read me the DATE when those "textbooks" of yours were printed, and please be honest. ;)

Oh and something to add: You do realize that in the nutrition and fitness world...both Lyle and Alan are considered the most reputable WORLDWIDE, not just in the US.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Or you could have protein all day everyday breakfast, lunch dinner, snack, preworkout, postworkout. I have the more the merrier philosophy on it. No degree no internet just found out through trial and error. It works for me but it might not work for you. Give it a try or don't, it's up to you OP.
  • glenr79
    Options
    ok, as I suspected those were just people's opinions on the internet, the onlky person that mentioned anything about not having to eat protein right after a workout was Alan Aragon... and that was his opinion... so I looked up your stuff, now it is your turn to google what I told you too... but also here is My TEXTBOOK Sports and exercise nutrition [Book] by William D. McArdle, Frank I. Katch, Victor L. Katch in Books Sorry that my information comes from a textbook and not some opinion buy a guy from the internet :) and obviously you didn't google what I told you too, or you would have been quiet by now

By William D. McArdle, Frank I. Katch, Victor L. Katch - Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (2009) - Hardback - 672 pages - ISBN 0781770378

Glen are you saying that Lyle McDonald, Alan Aragon, and Martin Berkhan aren't correct? That they are full of broscience because YOU have a "masters degree"?

Is that what you're going to tell me? Just answer yes or no...I don't need a whole paragraph.

Also do me one favor? Read me the DATE when those "textbooks" of yours were printed, and please be honest. ;)
  • glenr79
    Options
    Yes I agree with you, eat 30g of protein every 3 hours to continually feed your muscles.. .definitely a good idea, but I was just saying that there is a 30-60 minute anabolic window after working out where your muscles are depleted of their protein, and if you eat whey protein (A fast dissolving protein) so it can hurry up and get in there before the window closes then that is the best time to maximize your muscle gains....

Or you could have protein all day everyday breakfast, lunch dinner, snack, preworkout, postworkout. I have the more the merrier philosophy on it. No degree no internet just found out through trial and error. It works for me but it might not work for you. Give it a try or don't, it's up to you OP.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I drink protein after because I work out first thing in the morning and can't work out well with something in my stomach. If I am going on a run outside though, I will drink my Shakeology before I go :)
  • ccwise23
    Options
    my husband drinks something before and after. Not sure what the before is but after I know he has a protein shake.
  • ccwise23
    Options
    great job !!!
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    *steps in and puts hands on beautifully muscley chests*

Boys, boys!!!

Can't we just say: potato-potahto?!

It is in my experience that a preworkout shake helps me from both getting crazy hungry after, and helps sustain me during my resistance training.

That is not to say that post workout shake isn't just as good, as my PT suggested a preshake for me, but prefers hers after.

Basically, it depends on what you have eaten already, and how you think your body will process the exercise.

Additionally, if your going to have one post, why would you wait a few hours? I mean, I would just mix one up right after. But on that note, I have yet to see a "rule" about timing. I'm just mentioning what I personally would do, you know, since I would still be in workout/health mode. . .

Also note that if a person feels they need an overnight supplement to help in muscle recovery, well by all means. . .

I think that about covers it!!

*reluctantly removes hands from both guys beautiful chests*

Go on,now! And you boys behave yourselves!!!

:D Have a nice day!!! :D:D:D:D
  • teemarania
    Options
    Hahaha...yes, boys, play nice. agree to disagree.