Why did you gain the weight?

Options
A big part of losing weight and KEEPING it off is determining why you gained the weight to begin with... have you figured it out?

I'm struggling myself. I know WHY, I just haven't figured out how to fix the psychological damage.

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Combination of laziness, depression, and stress.

I just decided not to live that way anymore. Life is too damn short to not be who you want to be.
  • Glam0809
    Options
    Right after pregnancy, I was eating as if I was still pregnant. :-/
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Well, I gained it during pregnancy and after I had the kids? Well, I was stressed out, lazy and just didn't care really. I wanted to eat whatever I wanted to eat and I didn't give a crap how it affected me. As time went on, I was very unhappy in my marriage and turned to food for comfort.

I've learned what are my triggers and I'm working on controlling them and focusing on other things when something triggers my desire to eat away my feelings. I vow that I won't ever gain the weight back. No way. No how.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Laziness and love of cake and cheetoes....

I literally would buy a box of my favorite cake (rainbow chip!) and the frosting to go with, come home, bake it, cool it, frost it and eat the WHOLE THING BY MYSELF in 4 days or less. Also I'd eat a whole bag of cheetoes in a day. Not good. I've not bought cake since I started using MFP and the gym. I just had cheetoes for the first time in months this week, and they were not as good as I remember so it's as though I'm not missing anything.

I tend to sit on my *kitten* in front of the tv and/or computer for HOURS. I'm still not that big on getting off my butt, but I do go to the gym 3 days a week and I've lost 21lbs so I'm doing something right!

I'm still missing the cake though...
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    The stress of my divorce..........this time. This is the 3rd time since I had my son 13 years ago that I let myself go. And no - I have not figured out a way for it to not happen again. I am telling myself I'm in no rush - I need to eat pretty decent for the rest of my life. I can't go back to my fast food days. I'm hoping this time is the last. Best of luck to you.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I always had it? I'm not sure how to answer that, I've been big since early childhood.
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Comfort eating for sure. High stress job + the usual daily stressors don't help. Not prioritising (in fact not scheduling) exercise didn't help. Hitting over 40 and "fat" genes certainly don't help but I know that these are "cop out" excuses!
  • mrslaw85
    mrslaw85 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just plain laziness, ignoring the mirror, and pretending it didn't matter. Now I am fat, motivated, and realizing my health is going to heck because I ignored it to long!
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Twin pregnancy -- bed rest -- and a generalization of my expected caloric (while pregnant) intake without taking my size into account -- then, premature menopause, shaky thyroid, mild insulin-resistance (think I've had that since the gestational diabetes), and a body determined to fight every pound I tried to lose. :-P
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Half of my weight was due to medical issues I hope never to repeat. The other half was ignoring a 3-5 pound weight gain over the winter, for twenty + years. In the future I am going to be more proactive about my health and I will not ignore weight gain no matter how small it is.
  • tritepoet
    tritepoet Posts: 119
    Options
    I dated a guy who loved to cook super delicious, heavy food and I lost control of myself!
  • shiransom
    shiransom Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Eating late while watching tv with my hubby. Then came the need to eat every time we watched tv.
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Depression, stress, habit. It's funny because when I changed my eating habits, my depression went away which caused me to be less stressed. Amazing how life is so cyclic!
  • knjantz
    knjantz Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It started when I was pregnant, I always had to watch what I ate and worked out very hard but when I got pregnant I had this mindset of 'well I am pregnant I am allowed to eat like a pig....' we ended up with a stillborn birth and after that the depression was awful. My husband was away with the Army so I had to go at it alone and my best comfort? FOOD! On top of that I rarely ever wanted to cook so it was a LOT of carry out! I am ready to move on, get healthy, get in shape, and have a healthy baby- we are trying again, but first I need to lose weight. It is all on me for now!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Depression, stress, habit. It's funny because when I changed my eating habits, my depression went away which caused me to be less stressed. Amazing how life is so cyclic!

Same here! I am happier than I've been in a long time.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    in high school I did gymnastics all except for senior year but when i was a senior I kept eating like I was still doing gymnastics
  • GregT44
    GregT44 Posts: 28
    Options
    Started working Fire dept and EMS about 24 years ago... after years of sitting at the stations making huge meals for the guys and snacks in between. take a call, come back to station grab a snack and sit around talking about the call or sleep until next one. Soon I would have one huge meal a day to get me through my 24 hrs shifts. 24 years of it added up.
    Now I am changing everything. quit smoking, have dietition guiding me through eating differently. And as soon as I'm cleared for my injury to start exercising again.... I'll be loosing even more.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Because its always been my dream to be morbidly obese with low self esteem so I thought to myself "I'm going to give up the diet pills, HCG, shakeology, fat flush diet, cabbage soup diet, milk & banana day diet and water fast diet and eat real food." I knew this would work because real food is what makes people fat! I succeeded! Yay me! I won the prize. Now I can happily become a recluse. Woohoo.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Plain and simple, I was a bottomless pit and I loved to cook. Still do, but now I know when to stop.
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i hit puberty at 11 and my body decided to store every calorie i ate untill i hit 180.. i get down to 160 after highschool then this last winter i just stayed inside and didnt move hardly and gained 50 pounds