What convinced YOU to shed the weight?

Options

Replies

• Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Extremely negative self-image, zero confidence, pants kept getting bigger.

I kinda wanna show up to the 10-year reunion of my high school and tell all the vain girls that never batted a second eye at me to F&*# off.

:)

More importantly though, I want to be healthy and never have to go to the hospital as a result of being overweight.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I kept seeing more and more pictures that "caught me from a bad angle"... eventually I had to admit that every angle was bad, I was fat.
  • marthafox1
    marthafox1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I didn't like what I saw in the mirror and realised that it wasn't the mirror that was at fault!! Clothes were tight edging me into the next size up - which I decided was not an option!
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    This time around? My PCOS / insulin resistance diagnosis.
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    This

fatme-1-1.jpg

Getting better though

IMGP0559.jpg
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Tired of buying bigger clothes and bigger bras. Tired of having no endurance and just feeling bad and fat. Tired of not feeling like a woman, but like a huge, tall, big blob. Tired of my double chin and looking older. Tired of not feeling sexy. Tired of not wanting to go in stores because I feel like everyone is looking at me because I'm fat. I decided to change my life and change it for good. I am 5'10 and was 270, so quickly approaching 300 pounds. I do not ever want to be a 300-pound person. I've only lost 15 pounds so far, but i feel much better and healthier, and I WILL reach my goal.
  • lolainlondon
    lolainlondon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be able to skate uphill without it hurting so much.

But I'm also quite vain, so looking better and getting more attention from guys appeals. They'll tolerate being smarter than them, or being heavier than them. They rarely forgive both... :-)
  • Hootsmamma
    Hootsmamma Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I kept seeing more and more pictures that "caught me from a bad angle"... eventually I had to admit that every angle was bad, I was fat.

This sums it up pretty well. Tired of being in Denial about my weight, and the fact that I was now in my 50's and needed to do something soon , cuz I didn't want to look like Jabba The Hut! My husband and I made the decision to start this journey together which really helps., We are each doing it for ourselves And for each other!
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Being uncomfortable in my own skin. Wanting to do things that I could not do because of my weight. And I am pretty competitive so when my sis-in-law who was same size as me(18-20) showed up Christmas in size 12 jeans, and my other sis-in-law who was bigger got smaller and started going to horse shows left and right competeing at high levels...I was determined not to be left behind in my shame and that I would not be out-done. I love them both dearly, I think a little friendly competition fuels the fire! :)
  • Sima05
    Sima05 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I went through a pretty tough summer with some medical issues and I just felt so bad about myself. I got to a point once i was feeling better I was gonig to start taking better care of myself. I am sick of feeling bad for me and I needed to do something positive for myself. Right now I am trying to make heathly changes not really dieting BUT i am down two pounds. Not a bad start!!
  • tishpickle
    Options
    I cant do things I want - like ice skating, hiking and skiing -Clothes shopping sucks too...there isn't a great plus-size market.

.. so I have to change my fitness levels - therefore lose weight.

I originally weighed 118kg (260lbs) - which is heavier than my 6' tall husband, and my father, and I am 5'2...

I am down to 95.5 kg (210lbs) - hopefully another 6kg before I leave for Europe in 6 weeks.
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    When I had to have help to get up from one of those low-to-the-ground beach chairs. :sad: Along with all the normal things...clothes not fitting, walking up stairs made me winded, tired all the time, disgusted when I looked in the mirror...
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Diabetes, High blood Pressure and High triglycerides, yup.
  • kendernau
    kendernau Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    For me, it was multiple things that convinced me to lose weight and get back into shape.

I scared the heck out of myself when my blood pressure climbed to 159/98. There is a family history of high blood pressure and strokes, so I know where that was leading.

I have a son now, and I want to be around as long as possible for him.

My younger brother, who since he was about 12 has been heavier than me started dropping some major weight, and was about to become lighter than me - even though he is taller.

I miss playing soccer. It has been more than 10 years since I last played on an organized team, and I couldn't run long enough to finish warm-ups, much less a game. Even if I don't get back on a team, I want to be in good enough shape to play with and coach my son's team when he gets old enough (still several years away as he is only 19 months old right now).
  • Chaosdrone
    Options
    to get a job and to be more healthy and work
  • krissykross
    Options
    Buying my largest pair of pants ever. Having trouble walking around the block and having two high-energy dogs that need time out of the house. Realizing I gained 60 pounds in 8 months. High cholesterol.
  • nonafit
    nonafit Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    This

fatme-1-1.jpg

Getting better though

IMGP0559.jpg

Super impressive....and how long did it take from Pic 1 to Pic 2?
  • irishkiss
    irishkiss Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    pictures and not seeing cheekbones anymore.
  • DebLee
    DebLee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My doctor asked me "Are you happy with your weight?" It took about 6 months to figure out what he asked and why.
    It took me 1 year to loose 40 pounds.
    The next visit he asked the same question. But this time I got the lecture that I cannot loose anymore weight or he would have to introduce me to a nutritionist to gain a few healthy pounds. I went from 141 to 101 in one year. So far I have been maintaining this weight for 10 months.
  • yeseniavalewho
    Options
    laying with my boyfriend and him out of nowhere playing with my tummy thinking it was funny to make it jiggle! B0o0o0o0o0o0o0o! WAKE UP CALL!