Smoking right after working out

Options
13»

Replies

• Salpica
    Salpica Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Everytime I see the word smoking it makes me crave a cigarette..........thanks.

I've been smoke free for over 4 years now and there truly no way to describe how much better I feel not sucking that **** down everyday and just being addicted to it.

I don't think it would be completely detrimental to your workout but of course you'd be better off without it all together.

*Note: I am a ***** smoker when intoxicated. I try not to become intoxicated around smokers. For that I will not preach to you that you should quit. You will do it when you are ready.
  • Steven
    Steven Posts: 593 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi Folks,

Please keep the conversation to the merits of the debate, and refrain from attacking and insulting other users. It's generally not effective, and besides... it's against the rules :-)

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

I deleted the posts attacking, or quoting the attacks. Please make an effort to express your opinions (strong though they may be) in a civil way.

Thanks!
    Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/14923-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Just want to rope everyone back in here. The OP didn't ask you to help her quit smoking. She asked if it was worse for her after a workout. The easy answer is, that it's doing the same damage as every other cigarette she smokes does. Done - an answer to a question. See how easy that was?

Why does everything have to turn into a debate where someone inevitably says something really insulting to another person? Sheesh.

did you just actually ANSWER the OP's question without making yourself the center of attention? oh i'm reporting.

LMAO!!!
  • jgirer
    jgirer Posts: 2
    Options
    i've done it too. i think your lungs are expanded after working out, so, yes, it isn't a good idea. i've noticed a big difference in my blood pressure smoking vs. not smoking, too. better not to, but we all know that.:ohwell:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Are we talking cigarettes or other products? =)

Now that's an excellent question!!!

And all of you smoker-haters? YES, we know it's bad. YES, we know it can kill. YES, YES, YES...........

But until it's not LEGAL anymore, there's not much you can say. You've kicked us out of restaurants, public places, rentals, stores........even sidewalks. You've made us social pariahs who YOU THINK are trying to kill you.

Ya'll just need to stop badgering, shaming, demeaning, threatening, and hating smokers. We have an addiction. It's HARD to stop. If you've never been there, you really DO need to shut it. If you have, you understand and should show empathy.

Okay, my 2 cents have been spent.

Yes, let's just let you all light up anywhere and everywhere you want to, blow your smoke all over the rest of us, wait for you to finish your smoke before we can pass by you, and throw your butts all over the ground. Funny how defensive you are over your right to kill yourself and make other people miserable with your vice and yet you tell those of us who don't want to deal with picking up your butts, inhaling your secondhand smoke, having our clothes and everything around us smell like your smoke to "shut it." Unbelievable. Your smoking is your problem. The world should not have to make it "easy" for you to smoke around others. If you don't like it, quit. Otherwise, deal with it. People have the right to not be subjected to your personal vices in public places.

As for your "I'm addicted" comment, chemical additctions are hard to kick. I know because I was an alchoholic myself for years. Started drinking when I was 14 and was drinking almost a gallon of vodka and 2 liters of wine per day when I was 22. I thought I hid it well enough from my family and friends, but it was just a big lie I told myself. I got help from AA and my doctor after my family did an "intervention" of sorts and have been clean and sober for the last 5 years. It was not easy. I struggle with it daily. It was by far the hardest thing I have ever done, but it's been the best decision I ever made for myself. I can tell you that addiction is a nasty disease all around. No one is going to contest that, but you make choices in life. You choose every day how you live your life. Some addictions are harder to kick than others, but it can be done. There is help available if you really want it. There are resources out there, some of which don't cost a dime. It all comes down to choice. So, stop complaining how hard it is and quit or at least be honest and say, "I don't want to quit." All I can say is that you better be ready for the consequences of your actions not only for yourself but for everyone you love if you continue.

As for the previous comments about "tough love" not working, it sure as hell worked for me. I grant you it may not work for everyone though.

To address the comment from McPenguin:

1. I agree the "die" comment was completely out of line. I don't want anyone to die from an addiction nor would I ever wish it on anyone so I hope you did not read my comment that way. If it came off that way, I do sincerely apologize.

2. I also agree that we should commend the OP for eating better and exercising more. That is a great thing, but her question was whether it is "awful" to light up after a workout. The answer to that is a universal, "yes." To sugar coat it any other way doesn't seem to get to the point of it at all.

3. People deserve respect, but that doesn't mean their actions are respectable. If you go on a public internet forum and ask people if lighting one up after a workout is a a bad idea, people are going to say, "uh yeah duh!" How is it that rude exactly? Should we lie and say, "oh it's not that bad! Go ahead, light two up instead. You had a really hard workout today." (that's sarcasm in case someone decides to read that wrong)

4. Finally, addicts have no idea how hard it is to watch someone kill themeselves from addiction until they see it for their own self and experience it. I watched three people I love die from smoking-related illness, another from alchoholism, and another from heroin use, and I hope no one ever has to go through that. I would not wish it on anyone. To say you "feel for" people who have gone through this is a very different thing than understanding the damage it does. I had no idea how much I hurt my family with my drinking, and I have yet to forgive myself for it.

I really hope that you guys don't take my words out of context. I've said things here that are direct and I know will be controversial, but it's my experience in life with my own addiction and watching people I love struggle with theirs. I sincerely hope you all find the strength to quit and stay that way. It's not easy, but then again, life is not easy. This is my last post unless someoone wishes to PM me and continue the discussion. I'm already upset enough over this thread, and I really don't want to start bawling at my desk.

OP: All sarcasm aside, I do wish you the best in life. I hope you will find the strength to live healthy, do all the things in life you want to do, and feel amazing doing it.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    And the point of eating healthy to be a chain smoker is...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You know, maybe you shouldn't let what other people do (or say on the internet for that matter) get you so upset.
  • jsteinwandt
    Options
    Whats body glove?
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    What are the effects of smoking right after a hard workout????? Is it awful for you??
    You know the answer to this. Smoking is always awful for you, whenever you choose to light up.

Are you hoping someone will tell you it's okay to smoke because the workout will make up for it?

Obviously, "workout + smoking" will leave you healthier than "smoking" but if you care about your body, think about whether you want to carry on damaging it in this way.
  • ZachyABaby
    Options
    I'm smoking one now for all the haters
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Okay, who seriously doesn't know that smoking is bad for you? Anybody? Alright, now that that's cleared up, lets move on.

That's not what the OP asked. This is a valid question. Duh, smoking isn't good for you, duh, it's not any better after working out, but is it worse for you if your heartrate is up from a workout?

I smoke too, although I've seriously cut back (one pack a week! Yay!) and sometimes too really crave one after a hard workout. I don't have one,usually putting it off until later and later in the day until finally it's time to go to bed and I've only had the one smoke today.
    I'm not sure if it's worse or not, so if anyone has some real answers, instead of just telling me that smoking is bad, mmmk, that would be great.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    What are the effects of smoking right after a hard workout????? Is it awful for you??

perhaps you need to put some vaseline between your thighs or not wear corduroy while working out.... if it's elsewhere I'd douse yourself with a bucket of water and slow down a bit

:wink:

I agree with this. If somebody is smoking right after a hard workout it may be a very good sign that they could do with using some form of lubrication to reduce friction. :bigsmile:

it depends on the lubrication however, because we don't want to add chaffing to the smoking problem

Actually, yes. The wrong type of lubricant and instead of "smoking after a workout" it would be "burning after a workout"