Birth Control??????

Options
2»

Replies

• pawprint061
    Options
    I put on nearly 100 lbs in the 3 years I was on it. When getting my LAST shot, they told me that I need to stay away from breads and potatos and starchy stuff. Thanks for the info 3 years too late!
    I hope it's not depo... :( my friend got it and gained 30 lbs in about three months. :(
    I was on the depo for 3 years and 80 lbs later, I switched to the implanon (arm implant) and I've been doing pretty good with my weight loss since switching.. Never tried the pill though.

I don't fix those anymore as much as possible. Living with a diabetic I have to be careful. Maybe I've just stopped paying as close attention as I thought I was.
  • pawprint061
    Options
    When i Was on BC i gained weighy crazy right around the time i took it i would be starving and would eat everything in sight.

That's the strange thing, I don't have food cravings lol.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I put on nearly 100 lbs in the 3 years I was on it. When getting my LAST shot, they told me that I need to stay away from breads and potatos and starchy stuff. Thanks for the info 3 years too late!
    I hope it's not depo... :( my friend got it and gained 30 lbs in about three months. :(
    I was on the depo for 3 years and 80 lbs later, I switched to the implanon (arm implant) and I've been doing pretty good with my weight loss since switching.. Never tried the pill though.

I don't fix those anymore as much as possible. Living with a diabetic I have to be careful. Maybe I've just stopped paying as close attention as I thought I was.

What don't you fix?
  • mmysliws
    Options
    I have been on 3 diff ones for a different reason they are still trying to figure out.

I noticed that my weight gain had nothing to do with the pill time i took it or the pill (the time i take it all depends on when i get home from work or if i take it right when i wake up.

The thing i noticed....and even more so when i started tracking my calories is that when i hit my last few pills before the placebo week I hit my chocolate cravings HARD!!! and i mean HARD. the levels at which i want chocolate has changed with the different pills but i know that when its getting close to that time i want chocolate cakes and ice creams and everything else. I think that its the increase in hormones. so for me the pills cause the cravings for the chocolate that triggers the weight gain.

I have def had hard times dealing with this with my weight loss but i find ways to eat my chocolate and maybe run a little bit further that day.

so i would suggest if at any point in the month you find your junk food intake increase then go back to normal, then during that time make sure you schedule extra workouts or maybe stock your fridge with extra fruits to get the sweet without the fat.
  • pawprint061
    Options
    Try taking it duing the morning when you first wake up. I've heard birth control can cause some weight gain, usually btwn 5-10lbs. My cousin gained quiet a bit of weight on her birth control and her doctor was concerned and wanted to switch her to a different kind (shes a bit over-weight, so he was concerned.)

If you've been tracking your calories, excercising and you can't shake the weight, you should probably speak to your doctor. He may be able to find another brand that you will like.

I think that's what I might have to do. I've re done my goals and I'm gonna bump up the exercise and see if that does anything.
  • pawprint061
    Options

What don't you fix?

The starchy stuff.
  • pawprint061
    Options
    I have been on 3 diff ones for a different reason they are still trying to figure out.

I noticed that my weight gain had nothing to do with the pill time i took it or the pill (the time i take it all depends on when i get home from work or if i take it right when i wake up.

The thing i noticed....and even more so when i started tracking my calories is that when i hit my last few pills before the placebo week I hit my chocolate cravings HARD!!! and i mean HARD. the levels at which i want chocolate has changed with the different pills but i know that when its getting close to that time i want chocolate cakes and ice creams and everything else. I think that its the increase in hormones. so for me the pills cause the cravings for the chocolate that triggers the weight gain.

I have def had hard times dealing with this with my weight loss but i find ways to eat my chocolate and maybe run a little bit further that day.

so i would suggest if at any point in the month you find your junk food intake increase then go back to normal, then during that time make sure you schedule extra workouts or maybe stock your fridge with extra fruits to get the sweet without the fat.

That's something that I never thought about. I'll have to pay closer attention.
  • dontletmegetme
    Options
    I think it really depends on your body and the pill you're taking. I used to take Yaz, and I actually lost a few pounds because it made me so nauseous. I'm off it now because of the other lovely little side effects it gave me(anxiety,mood swings,heart palpitations) I don't suggest it.
  • gabbyhayes82
    Options
    i switched to the copper iud because the pills and depo made me gain alot of weight
  • sakus32
    sakus32 Posts: 101
    Options
    I started on BC in February and I too gained 20lbs over that time. I also couldn't lose weight either. I stopped taking and immediately lost 10 lbs. After rethinking my hx w/bc i realized that every time I am on bc, I gain weight, become depressed, and have cannot seem to lose weight not matter how much I exercise and how well i eat. I think for some people bc is great and for others the pros may or may not outweigh the cons. Good luck
  • pawprint061
    Options
    Ok, thanks ladies for your input. I appreciate it greatly.
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options

Depo is known for weight gain.... just be careful of what you take. It should be in the side affects if you look it up. :)
  • phechan3
    Options
    This was an interesting article I read about muscle mass and BC pills: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Healthday/story?id=7365563&page=1 Basically, in a study done with two groups of active and healthy women, they found that those that were not on the pill gained more than 60% more muscles that those on the pill.

I was thinking about switching to Depo before but after reading more about the weight gain and bone loss issues I got scared away from it. >.<;;