Green Smoothies

Options
2»

Replies

• sunny145
    sunny145 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    OP- thanks for posting this!

I just starting browsing the message board yesterday and "green smoothie" caught my eye. I am a big fan of smoothies for breakfast and I have a terrible time getting my veggies in. I never would have thought you could add spinach to a smoothie without compromising the taste. I added about a cup of baby spinach to my smoothie this morning and didn't notice it at all! Tomorrow I think I'll put some cucumber in, too.

My (general) smoothie:
    Kefir lowfat plain yogurt-milk
    frozen blueberries
    flax meal
    whey protein

and now spinach!
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I love so many of the ideas in this thread!!!
    I like adding fennel to smoothies with strong tasting greens like kale, sweetens it with very few calories
    I also love using parsley!
  • Beatrix0810
    Options
    Bump to the bump dee bump dee bump bump!

I can't wait to make these!!!! SO many good ideas.
  • alisonwww
    alisonwww Posts: 104
    Options
    Maybe coconut water?
  • skye15
    skye15 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Drinking my green smoothie right now! :)

1 cup of frozen mix berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries)
    2 cups of spinach
    1/2 of rapini (just the leaves not the bulb)
    a few leaves of Kale
    carrot juice or yogurt

So good, and it lasts me usually the whole day! :)
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lvk2000
    lvk2000 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I make green smoothies using soy milk or nonfat milk, kale, carrots, beet,, an orange and a banana. The beet really sweetens it. Sometimes I add cilantro. I use a Ninja Prep - I like it because you can still distinguish the individual ingredients.
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Bump! I have a BlendTec blender and make green smoothies most days of the week. Love them! :)
  • AmythistRae
    Options
    This batch does an entire day of green smoothies....

2 oranges (juiced whole in my juicer)
    1/4 pineapple
    2 cups frozen blueberries
    2 cups spinach
    1 cup kale
    1 cup water...

works out to 3 smoothies to do through out the day...It has a tropical citrus taste and gives you a massive boost of energy.....

total of 533 calories....still leaves plenty for supper...If you research the green smoothies it is suggested to not add any milk products and to go raw.....at least with the smoothies....I know for me it is changing how I taste food....
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I make green smoothies using soy milk or nonfat milk, kale, carrots, beet,, an orange and a banana. The beet really sweetens it. Sometimes I add cilantro. I use a Ninja Prep - I like it because you can still distinguish the individual ingredients.
    Do you use raw or steamed/boiled beets? I've been incorporating more beets into my daily diet but am having some GI issues. Love the taste but want to make sure I'm cooking them enough...
  • melbelle32
    melbelle32 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump bump :)
  • onceabyrne
    onceabyrne Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking them for about three weeks and absolutely love them! I drink them between breakfast and lunch and CRAVE them. My energy seems improved and my skin is getting clearer (I have psoriasis). Vitamix has a mix & match green smoothie list that I used to get going. After a bit, you learn what you like. Spinach is my favorite green, but am currently sipping on a spinach/collard green/banana/grape smoothie. My daughter (10) is even starting to enjoy them. The other key is you need a really good high speed blender that basically liquefies everything

http://www.vitamix.com/household/infocenter/greensmoothie.pdf
  • mizyvee
    mizyvee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have had my Blendtec for a couple of weeks now. I love making a veggie / fruit smoothies every morning for breakfast. That and a cup of coffee holds me over until lunch. I am trying all kinds of combinations; some turn out better than others but none too bad. I add a scoop of light protein powder to get a bit of protein in for the morning.