People that have moved for relationships....

Options
2»

Replies

• pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    oh, i didn't see it was him moving, still I feel the same. Having a plan for income is nice, but sometimes you just have to take a leap. Maybe he could take a week or two vacation from his work and stay with you while he looks for work in your area? It might make him feel better.
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    How long did it take to find work?

Were you scared to leave friends and family behind?

Did you drag your feet or delay in any way?

Moved from Mass to Florida.

Five weeks to find work that would pay the bills.

Dragged my feet bigtime. Supposed to leave at 3am and as of 11pm, I hadn't loaded the trailer or packed any of my clothes.

Relocating was one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made. Moved back home 16 months later...single.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    oh, i didn't see it was him moving, still I feel the same. Having a plan for income is nice, but sometimes you just have to take a leap. Maybe he could take a week or two vacation from his work and stay with you while he looks for work in your area? It might make him feel better.

He usually stays about a week at a time. We both take a TON of time off.
    I've just got to continue to be patient. We've had a ton of conversations about this, and he is holding out for something that is going to make him happy.

it is nice to hear others are as selective.

if it ws up to just me moving, I'd be there no question. But I make much less, have a much less impressive job.
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    about a month

yes, but the key to easing that pain is to find creative and fun ways to stay in contact. . . we like to have Skype dates and things like that!

Took me about a month or so to get things in order, but when I was ready, I loaded up and moved!

Best decision I ever made in my life! He was a friend from high school, we had a long distance relationship after my divorce, and although I was leary of relationships, I just went with my gut and dove in. He is now my husband and we are ridiculously happy!!! Like, i-thought-this-kind-of-happiness-only-occured-in-the-movies kind of happy. Makes me wish I didn't waste those 11 years after high school not being with him, but i have a beautiful son out of my last relationship, whom my husband takes on as his own.

Good luck with everything!!
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I moved from PA to NV back in 1998...I went to school for a year before I got a job; but it didn't take me very long once I started looking...maybe a month. I was scared; I was leaving my entire family and all of my friends to move almost 2,700 miles away. My now ex-husband had flown out and we had a big going-away weekend with my family and then drove out here. I should've known things would turn out well when he totalled my car 30 miles from our final destination of Reno.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    about a month

yes, but the key to easing that pain is to find creative and fun ways to stay in contact. . . we like to have Skype dates and things like that!

Took me about a month or so to get things in order, but when I was ready, I loaded up and moved!

Best decision I ever made in my life! He was a friend from high school, we had a long distance relationship after my divorce, and although I was leary of relationships, I just went with my gut and dove in. He is now my husband and we are ridiculously happy!!! Like, i-thought-this-kind-of-happiness-only-occured-in-the-movies kind of happy. Makes me wish I didn't waste those 11 years after high school not being with him, but i have a beautiful son out of my last relationship, whom my husband takes on as his own.

Good luck with everything!!

That is exactly how happy we are together. And he also takes my childen as his own, which makes the wait harder.
    I've got the "family" that I've always wanted. I just have to wait for the peices.
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It will be about 700 miles. Metropolitan area to another metropolitan area. Part of the problem is he loves his job and has an impressive title which he doesn't want downgraded for another position here. He's 27.

He usually stays about a week at a time. We both take a TON of time off.
    I've just got to continue to be patient. We've had a ton of conversations about this, and he is holding out for something that is going to make him happy.

it is nice to hear others are as selective.

if it was up to just me moving, I'd be there no question. But I make much less, have a much less impressive job.

It sounds like if he can find a comparable job he will be much happier about the move and it won't feel so much like a "sacrifice". That career status seems to be very important to guys. And if he's happier with all of that, it will be better for your relationship. Are there job options like that in your area?
  • misssugarplum
    Options
    ^^ Hi to another Kyla :smile:

To answer the OP's question...

I moved from Massachusetts to Puerto Rico to be with my love. But, he had moved first for me 4 months into our relationship. Staying in Massachusetts was always a temporary thing, though, so I made the "bigger" move.

I had work immediately. I'm a bartender, so it's no biggie for me to up and move.

Neither of us dragged our feet, but I kept pushing back my ETD date because we were both broke.

We've been together nearly 3 years now :heart:

Don't forget, anything worth having, is worth waiting for.
  • Ireshgurl
    Ireshgurl Posts: 559
    Options
    I get 2 move every 3-4 yrs because my hubby is in the military. the first time I did it it was hard. but exciting. i'd lived in the same county for 28 years of my life. I waited till I started going stir crazy before I went looking for a job and it didn't take me very long to find a new job. this time around when we moved it took me less then a month to find a job. friends are a little bit harder to find but I am, slowly.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    How long did it take to find work?

Were you scared to leave friends and family behind?

Did you drag your feet or delay in any way?

It took me about a month to find work, but I didn't start looking immediately.
    YES. I still miss them. I made a 1200 mile move and left everything behind. It was really hard to get used to, I even catch myself almost a year later saying at my house, or in my town, referring to the place I left behind.
    No. I was quite excited. I just knew it was going to be hard to adjust.