Women strength training... for real

Options

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I have found that I am getting much stronger. However, strong women are not really in demand. I have also found that I like being stronger, it is very satisfying to be able to easily pick up something that I struggled with before. So therefore I tend to hide my strength so as not to offend people or invoke hurtful comments. I still like strength though and blogs like this are encouraging. Thank you!

Don't hide it! There's nothing wrong with being a strong woman who can open jars for herself and lift her own furniture!
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have tips for strengthening the hip flexors/rotators? I have occasional IT band issues and do a lot of stretching & rolling but I think stronger hips might help.

Thanks!

You can try some leg raises. Hang from pullup bar or captain's chair and raise them up. If that is too hard you can raise them on an incline bench or flat and work up to hanging.
  • LesleeAH
    Options
    So let me get this straight.....if you are say, 200lbs and wanting to drop a considerable amounts of pounds, you should start with high reps at a bearable (?) weight, and then as fat percentage/weight lowers, move on to higher weights doing only 8 - 10 reps?

Just want to make sure I'm doing the sensible thing!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Thanks alot! I will try that this week!
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have tips for strengthening the hip flexors/rotators? I have occasional IT band issues and do a lot of stretching & rolling but I think stronger hips might help.

Thanks!

Most of us have chronically shortened hip flexors already. Not everyone mind you... but something known as the lower crossed syndrome or anterior pelvic tilt is VERY common among the clients coming through the doors of my gym. In these cases, strengthening and shortening the flexors even more would be a bad idea.

You can test for lower crossed by having someone view you from the side view as you stand relaxed and then with your hands straight overhead. Is the line of your pants or underwear aggressively slanted downward toward the front? Is your lower back rounded? These things are sure indicators of the issue.

Point is... you can't fix most specific problems with general remedies.

It's good to see that you're foam rolling.... do lots of that on the IT band as it's a common tightness and one of the best places to use a foam roller on. At least that's what I've found.
  • catintheshell
    Options
    bumping to save... so much awesome info and no time to read it all just yet!
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Love this!!!!!!!!!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Options

Thanks!

Most of us have chronically shortened hip flexors already. Not everyone mind you... but something known as the lower crossed syndrome or anterior pelvic tilt is VERY common among the clients coming through the doors of my gym. In these cases, strengthening and shortening the flexors even more would be a bad idea.

You can test for lower crossed by having someone view you from the side view as you stand relaxed and then with your hands straight overhead. Is the line of your pants or underwear aggressively slanted downward toward the front? Is your lower back rounded? These things are sure indicators of the issue.

Point is... you can't fix most specific problems with general remedies.

It's good to see that you're foam rolling.... do lots of that on the IT band as it's a common tightness and one of the best places to use a foam roller on. At least that's what I've found.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Options
    Thanks - I sit at a desk for 8 hours a day I'm sure that does not help! I really appreciate you reply!
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    So let me get this straight.....if you are say, 200lbs and wanting to drop a considerable amounts of pounds, you should start with high reps at a bearable (?) weight, and then as fat percentage/weight lowers, move on to higher weights doing only 8 - 10 reps?

Just want to make sure I'm doing the sensible thing!

That's a general way of looking at things. Overweight and obese folks aren't going to lose muscle like their leaner counterparts that are dieting. So while they certainly can focus on heavy lifting for some of their programming, it's going to make a lot of sense to include a lot of lighter weight, higher volume, lower rest stuff.... i.e., your basic circuit training.

This will maximize calorie expenditure, which should be a focal point with overweight/obese folks as well as enhance calorie partitioning. All the while, even though it's volume-focused opposed to intensity-focused, these folks will still have a hint of strength training in their programming.
  • Aries03
    Aries03 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    bUMP
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Steve - I promised you this a few weeks ago, but just now got around to getting the photo. Sorry, no video yet.

This is today's effort to dispel the "heavy weights will make you bulky" myth. I usually deadlift once a week, and I lift heavy (powerlifting) 5 days a week.

This photo was taken this afternoon. It's me at the completion (lock-out) of a 255-pound deadlift. For the record, I weighted in at 124 pounds this morning, I'm 49 years old and 5' 4" tall.

So that's twice bodyweight....do I look "bulky" ??? Case closed! :smile:

Edit - Jeez, sorry about the red-eye. I look like the spawn of Satan! :devil:

DSCN0669.jpg
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Damn. I was impressed with myself for doing 85lbs this morning. I have work to do.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've been at it for 30 years, so don't feel bad. You'll get there!

Meanwhile, I realized that the above photo isn't exactly flattering to me. :laugh: Who looks their best at the end of a deadlift anyway? So here's another one taken in normal clothes last New Years. I weighed the same, give or take a pound. I'm actually a normal person! Well, mostly............:tongue:

Lisa-posing.jpg
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Steve - I promised you this a few weeks ago, but just now got around to getting the photo. Sorry, no video yet.

This is today's effort to dispel the "heavy weights will make you bulky" myth. I usually deadlift once a week, and I lift heavy (powerlifting) 5 days a week.

This photo was taken this afternoon. It's me at the completion (lock-out) of a 255-pound deadlift. For the record, I weighted in at 124 pounds this morning, I'm 49 years old and 5' 4" tall.

DSCN0669.jpg

You go girl! Right on!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options

DSCN0669.jpg

It's so great to see strong women and no, you are not bulky. You look awesome! I just moved to the 45 lbs. plates on the deads. Love them!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread. I need to read it in more detail. And I need to get over my fear of new exercises and go lift.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    millerll: That is inspirational!!! So good.
  • cutiepie2628
    cutiepie2628 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    this is so good to know because i always worried about getting bigger while trying to lose weight