How do you measure oil?

Hi.

I made some pancake tonight and I used a lot of olive oil because well, it required oil so that the pancakes do not stick onto the pan and can be flipped easily.

The problem then is the logging. How do I record down how much I use? If I pour down 5 tablespoon, do I put down 5 tablespoon? Technically speaking, will not some of the oil got dried up and evaporated?

I am somewhat confused because as you know, fat has a high calorie content. So I am not sure if I am over-inflating my calorie intake or if I were counting too little of it.

By the way, if you are curious about my pancake, I used fine oatmeal, eggs, ON protein powder, 60ml of yakult milk, 2 spoonful of yogurt, and 1 teaspoon of brown sugar. It is enough to be eaten over 2 meals.

Replies

• vintx
    vintx Posts: 34
    yes, put down all 5 TBSP. oil doesn't evaporate.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Have you tried a cooking spray such as Pam? Works great.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    I am no expert but I don't think oil evaporates much. I always include all the oil I add to the recipe even if some may be left in the pan. That way I never underestimate the calories.
  • leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    Oh wow. So that's how you do it.
    Then I kind of have to just kill pancake then! =( It requires too much oil for cooking!!!
  • dedication6
    dedication6 Posts: 184 Member
    Try a non-stick pan and eliminate the oil all together.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    measure the oil left in the pan when finished and minus that from the 5 Tbsp.
  • JLervold86
    JLervold86 Posts: 93 Member
    I would log all 5 TBSP as well. Also, in Bed Bath and Beyond they sell this thing called the Misto for $10....basically you put fresh olive oil in the bottle and then pump the top and it builds up pressure so that the olive oil sprays like Pam. I started to use it when I moved to cooking with stainless steel pots & pans and it is awesome. It really spreads the olive oil out so that you dont' need the 5 TBSP at the bottom of the pan, plus you get to avoid all the chemicals in cooking sprays :o)
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Use an oil sprayer...like Misto which you can get at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $10
  • CapeCodLover
    CapeCodLover Posts: 23 Member
    There are low cal/low fat olive oil and butter sprays that would probably help you out. Five tablespoons of olive oil is really going to ruin the low cat, healthy pancakes you just made!! Unfortunately, we need to log every ingredient including oil to cook, butter to taste and added salt if you want an accurate calorie count for the day. I try not to eat between 200-300 of my calories to make up for these kind of things and any errors in calculating exercise cals burned or portion sizes, etc.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Try a non-stick pan and eliminate the oil all together.

Or a well-seasoned cast iron pan.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    1.Pull out the dip stick and wipe it off on a clean, lint-free rag.

2.Insert the stick back into the pipe.

3.Pull the dipstick out again and look at the film of oil on the end of the stick.

4.Put the dipstick back into the pipe. You’re done!

:)
  • leenites
    ok.

So far, these are the 2 solutions that I hear:

1. Get a non-stick pan and eliminate olive oil all together
    2. Get a sprayer to spray the oil or get PAM

Oh ya, by the way, I do not live in USA so these things you talk about it pretty foreign to me. I lived in US before so I know Bed, Bath and Beyond (they went bankrupt a few years back!) and PAM is the cooking spray. I've used PAM in the past and I was highly satisfied!

But now I am back in a third world Asian country where majority of people still eat WHITE rice and no one cares for PAM or almond flour, etc etc. I cannot even find Greek Yogurt in the hypermarket, so much so that I resorted to making Greek Yogurt myself!

My point is, it's hard to get PAM. Even if I get it, it will be super super expensive (imported goods).

But I guess, it all boils down to how much I am willing to do the tradeoff between healthy living, good-tasting food, and losing fat. Pancake is not a must. It's just a craving resulting from years of eating pancake in USA. =/
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    If you can't find a non-stick pan, how about cast iron? And if not, you can always have pancakes on occasion... they don't have to be forbidden.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Just put a tablespoon of oil in the pan, then take a towel, (paper or otherwise) and coat the pan. You shouldn't need 5 tbls of oil unless you are deep frying them. Flip them when the bubbles pop on the edges.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    With a measuring spoon.
  • leenites

3.Pull the dipstick out again and look at the film of oil on the end of the stick.

I am not sure I understand this whole process?

Also, I'll get a non-stick pan for sure. It's a worthwhile investment. =D Just not sure how pancake will taste without the slightly greasy feel to it. ^__^

WINNER!!!!
  • leenites

WINNER!!!!

I am not sure I understand this whole process?

Also, I'll get a non-stick pan for sure. It's a worthwhile investment. =D Just not sure how pancake will taste without the slightly greasy feel to it. ^__^
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Have you tried a cooking spray such as Pam? Works great.
    This.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    ok.

So far, these are the 2 solutions that I hear:

1. Get a non-stick pan and eliminate olive oil all together
    2. Get a sprayer to spray the oil or get PAM

Ew. A life without oil is no life at all.