Cancer

Options

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Cancer sucks! Lost my father just a year and a half ago. Ate him up in less than 9mo and he fought hard. God Bless everyone and their families who are struggling with this and it's affects. That's why I Relay so that I can earn money to help find a cure.

I hope you continue to be a "survivor" and that your Mom makes it well past Christmas!
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    There was a post earlier about Cancer.

I'm a childhood cancer survivor, but I cannot speak much to it, as I was so young that I do not remember. My best friends' father passed last night after his months long battle with brain cancer. My mother is fighting with every ounce of strength that she has just to make it to Christmas. It's not easy, folks.

Although I was extremely upset, and quite furious with the original post, my heart was overflowing with love and compassion, as I saw so many of you on here posting personal experiences, be it yourself or a friend or family member that has fought this battle, whether winning or losing.

To all of you, and to those of you who didn't see the post, but are out there, fighting or rooting for someone in this fight, I want you to know that you inspire me. Your families inspire me. Your friends inspire me. Thank you for fighting.

Love you! :flowerforyou:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I never had a chance to chime in, but I've lost 3 people in my immediate family to lung cancer (2 to adenocarcinoma and another to small cell lung cancer), all three of whom where chronic chain smokers. It was horrific. Two of them struggled for years with chemo, radiation, and multiple surgeries. They died miserable, emaciated, and in unbelievable pain. The third was so far gone by the time her diagnosis came that chemo/radiation would do no appreciable good. I stayed with her in the hospital at night. She was terrified knowing it was her own body killing her. I watched as she slowly wasted away, became delusional, and lived in excruciating pain from the tumors in her liver and her bones. 3 months after her diagnosis with small cell lung cancer, she was gone. She had over 20 tumors in her body when it killed her. My grandfather is a prostate cancer survivor. Thankfully, he caught it early and has been cancer-free for 7 years. My other grandfather is a skin cancer survivor although half the skin on his upper arm had to be removed from a large tumor growth.

To all the survivors of cancer, I say, "congrats! I wish you all nothing but the best in life." To those of you who have watched loved ones be taken by this horrific disease, I say, "My heart is and always will be with you."
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    I guess I will add my own family exprenice to cancer. A while back my father had prostate cancer. He didnt get chemo, instead he got the surgury. He was in hell the longest time. They took out his prostate and alot of other stuff around it. He now has bathroom problems, he often says he wants to die because they took his man hood. He got help and is doing better now.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Just curious if you've heard of the Gerson Therapy and what your thoughts are on it... (i know you are in the field of nutrition). I think this is what I would do if I ever got cancer.

http://gerson.org/GersonTherapy/gersontherapy.htm

:flowerforyou:
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    8 years ago I watched my father die from Bowel Cancer. He died only 3 weeks after being diagnosed. The last week of his live, my mother, my brother and I, sat by his bed for about 22 hours per day.

:cry:

*BIG HUGS*
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    There was a post earlier about Cancer.

I'm a childhood cancer survivor, but I cannot speak much to it, as I was so young that I do not remember. My best friends' father passed last night after his months long battle with brain cancer. My mother is fighting with every ounce of strength that she has just to make it to Christmas. It's not easy, folks.

Although I was extremely upset, and quite furious with the original post, my heart was overflowing with love and compassion, as I saw so many of you on here posting personal experiences, be it yourself or a friend or family member that has fought this battle, whether winning or losing.

To all of you, and to those of you who didn't see the post, but are out there, fighting or rooting for someone in this fight, I want you to know that you inspire me. Your families inspire me. Your friends inspire me. Thank you for fighting.

Suzanne Somers Syndrome, I say. I wonder how many people have died following her cancer "cures."
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I am supporting both of my parents who are currently fighting cancer. My mother who has ovarian and uterus cancer and my father who is fighting renal (kidney) cancer. My mother who has had three round of chemo, been through a drug trail that she responded to very well, is now on the down slope and not sure if she is has it in her to go trough a fourth round if it comes to that. My father, was diagnosed with stage 4 renal cancer and is hanging on as long as he can for my mother and the rest of the family. This battle for them and my family has been fought long and hard for the last four years. But, now matter what, the thing I commend my parents for is having the strength and courage to they continue to "live" and do not let the cancer get in their way.

As my Dad told me when I found out he was diagnose, "With or without cancer, no matter what life puts in front of you to face, you must keep moving forward taking each day one step at a time and remember to breath. If you don't, then you are not living as you were put on this earth to do."
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I lost my dad to cancer 8 years ago. He was 47. :brokenheart: He fought like hell to the bitter end to stay with his family.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I'm glad I didn't see the post. I'm in a cancer sandwich of sorts. My daughter, who is now 13, has been battling leukemia since she was 9 just went through a bone marrow transplant in March because of it relapsing. That was tough on my husband, son and myself as for 6 months we never got to live together as a family.

I am so, so sorry. It's one thing to have to watch a parent or grandparent struggle, but I can't imagine it being your own child. :-(
  • mamafrahm
    mamafrahm Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    EVERYONE at one point in their life will be affected by cancer, whether they are the ones diagnosed, or a loved one is diagnosed. I have lost both sets of grand parents to cancer, a cousin who was only TWENTY SIX, and a friend in H.S. who was only FIFTEEN! but just know that I am rooting for your Mom, even though I don't know her, or you.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I have removed derogatory references to other posters - please remember to follow forum rules at all times.

5) Topics which are started with the intent to denigrate, belittle, or disparage another MyFitnessPal member, either directly named or through enough descriptive commentary to be possibly identified, are prohibited. Such topics will be instantly deleted and may result in the banning of the original poster. This includes following another poster around in the forums, posting about past events gone sour, divulging personal information, spreading gossip or rumors, posting email exchanges between users, etc. Keep the drama off the forums!

Thanks for your cooperation.
    Ladyhawk00
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I lost family members to cancer and its no joke.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on being a survivor.

Having experienced family and friends battling and eventually losing to - Multple Myeloma, pancreatic, Chordoma, lung, and leukemia...to be able to battle and survive is a glorious and life enlightening achievement. It truly puts the value of living today in the forefront of your actions.
    Unfortuatnely, there are far too many people that are naive about just how difficult some of these battle are. Not only physically, but mentally. Due to the advancements in medical technology and continued fall of scociety's lack of respect and compassion for the greater of mankind, ignorance is abound and, sadly, displayed with selfish intent.

Every person I have known to have battles cancer, those that have posted here and will read byond...your battles are what inspire me to be a better man.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I didn't see the other post, but as someone who works for a cancer research center, and more specifically with cancer survivors, I am fighting for them every day that I can. But it's those with cancer and their families and friends who are the real fighters. And you all are amazing. :flowerforyou:
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    There was a post earlier about Cancer..

Sorry to hear about your friend's dad. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer last December. She decided NOT to get cut on or go to chemo. As a Christian and an evangelist she believes she is healed.

It's a touchy subject and i am rooting for anyone battling this.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I missed the earlier post,and am glad I did. Cancer has also taken many of my family members,and a child I was very close too.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I don't like to talk about my personal experience with cancer. But I was not spared seeing it first hand. I need a hug.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Q}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} big hugs for you.

and big hugs to everyone who is in the fight, or who is a cheerleader for someone who is. it's not easy for anyone.
  • urbanmasala
    urbanmasala Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    There was a post earlier about Cancer..

I have lost family members and close friends to this insidious disease and have also experienced it first hand. In May 2006 I was diagnosed with stage-4 breast cancer. I've been through the whole nine - chemo, surgery, radiation, physical therapy and ongoing treatments even now. But I press on and with God's help, I will fight to the end!

My heart goes out to you and your family as I know how difficult the entire process can be.

Peace, blessings and hugs to you, dear one.

Lynne J.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I didn't see the other post, but as someone who works for a cancer research center, and more specifically with cancer survivors, I am fighting for them every day that I can. But it's those with cancer and their families and friends who are the real fighters. And you all are amazing. :flowerforyou:

I have a question for you. A couple years ago, I saw a story on I think 60 Minutes (one of those shows) about a guy who came up with a way to treat cancer with radio waves. It was looking very promising, but still in trials and there were a few issues with it (like being able to kill rogue cells floating around the blood).

I haven't heard a word about it since. Do you know anything about this?