Cardio after weights to burn fat.

Options
Have read that cardio after weights is the recommended way to go. I can understand the logic in that cardio first would decrease lifting ability. But to say weights first means you then burn fat in the cardio, wouldn't you have to have fully depleted glycogen in the weights for that to happen? Or what is the science behind it ie how much strength training is needed first to then burn fat as an energy source when you hit cardio. And how much cardio is needed after weights to achieve this?

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    bump to read the answers. Also know to do weights first but would like to know the science as well.
  • tjnahm
    tjnahm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump to read the answers. Also know to do weights first but would like to know the science as well.
  • Timdog57
    Timdog57 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Great question! This is something that's been on my mind as well, or at least something similar. I've just been wondering if I'm depleting my glycogen stores when I'm working out...

I hope there's a knowledgable answer coming...
  • loseslarge
    loseslarge Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The quick and dirty explanation as I understand it: after weightlifting your body's primary fuel source - glycogen - is depleted. So you are exclusively in fat burning mode when you undertake cardio. Probably works in either order, but more effective if cardio is secondary since you burn more fat with a higher sustained heart rate.
  • mcmoosehall
    mcmoosehall Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer gets me to do dead lifts then cardio at end to burn pure fat!! How long for each will depend on your own metabolism etc. Killer workout though, my shoulders were on fire next day :)
  • ilissecrets
    Options
    15 mind cardio to warm up.
    Strenght Training.
    Cardio - whatever amount you want to do.

I wouldnt do more than 60 min cardio, and 30 mins strenght training. Isnt it too much for the body. Its not about overdoing it one day, its about the concistency of doing it every day.

<3
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I triple set all my lifts and incorporate an intense plyo. so I'm essentially doing cardio during my lifts for 30 min.then do 30-40 min of jumprope after.

Why draw lines inbetween the two. 99% of the people here don't lift to buik nor would they if they tried.
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    interested to see more answers....I typically am too exhausted after strength training to go all out on cardio
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    The quick and dirty explanation as I understand it: after weightlifting your body's primary fuel source - glycogen - is depleted. So you are exclusively in fat burning mode when you undertake cardio. Probably works in either order, but more effective if cardio is secondary since you burn more fat with a higher sustained heart rate.

This and also its optimal to organize a routine based on energy source usage. Since weightlifting will use the phosphagen system (force production at it's greatest) and cardio generally uses aerobic metabolism (prolonged work), you'd want to structure your workout so that you use your phosphagen system first then all the way down to aerobic metabolism.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    6a00e554f403b68834010536584e68970c-800wi
  • chubbychristianchick
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure but the guy who helps with my training says on days I don't lift weights before cardio I need to do an extra 30 cardio to burn all the sugar in my body before I'll burn the fat... But if I lift weights for 15-20minutes then 30 of cardio is plenty... Lifting weights can increase your heart rate similiarly to cardio.
  • Frenshan
    Options
    Bump
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    This is where I get confused. Doesn't the body store several hundred grams of glycogen? And isn't one gram of glycogen 4 calories? So wouldn't it take a heck of a big effort to truly deplete glycogen?
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I've noticed that you have 0 lbs lost. So you are newish here.

IMHO here. It's 10x more important that do actually do lift and cardio in whatever order at this stage.

You won't be advanced enough in either area at this point to notice any significant difference.

Just do it and worry about the order later. I've done it both ways.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options

IMHO here. It's 10x more important that do actually do lift and cardio in whatever order at this stage.

You won't be advanced enough in either area at this point to notice any significant difference.

I have been on here 2 months and only weigh every 4 to 6 weeks so please don't assume by my ticker that I'm new to exercise. And my focus is not on the scales hence it is important to me to get things right so I can achieve my goals.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

I have been on here 2 months and only weigh every 4 to 6 weeks so please don't assume by my ticker that I'm new to exercise. And my focus is not on the scales hence it is important to me to get things right so I can achieve my goals.

Even two months is still a beginner IMHO. I sort of have to assume since you logs aren't public.

So how are you exercising right now? List up your routine.

Considering you're only 2 months into this, I'll stand by the logic that doing it in either order is more important at this stage
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    The times that I have done my strength before my runs I feel like I'm running on empty before I even get into the run. I feel weak and like my stomach is empty (haven't in a day sorta empty) and those runs almost always bonk. The training program I've been usin said to do cardio first, but I'd heard this same thing and had been trying it strength then cardio, but I think I'm gonna listen to the program advice the next few times to see if there's a change in my performance.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    bump. PLEASE dont let a bunch of people answer who have no idea what they're talking about...
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options

This and also its optimal to organize a routine based on energy source usage. Since weightlifting will use the phosphagen system (force production at it's greatest) and cardio generally uses aerobic metabolism (prolonged work), you'd want to structure your workout so that you use your phosphagen system first then all the way down to aerobic metabolism.

^^Best answer^^

FYI: full depletion is not necessary. Weight trianing will help mobilize FFA's and steady-state cardio will help oxidize them.
  • Timdog57
    Timdog57 Posts: 102 Member
    Options

Even two months is still a beginner IMHO. I sort of have to assume since you logs aren't public.

So how are you exercising right now? List up your routine.

Considering you're only 2 months into this, I'll stand by the logic that doing it in either order is more important at this stage

So, 4 pounds lost makes you some kind of expert??? What the heck kind of answer is this? If the question is over your head and you don't know the answer, simply don't answer. Don't attack someone else for asking a very reasonable question just because you have no clue what they're talking about.