13»

Replies

• Scarletblue
    Options
    This is very sad, I am so sorry.
  • fesse02
    fesse02 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I feel for you and your difficult situation.
  • wifeygonzo
    wifeygonzo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I recently read an article online that dealt with the sadness of loosing a pet. The article suggested creating one last great memory with your pet. Depending on your dogs condition, spend some time with your dog doing the things your dog enjoys the most. Does he like to go for a walk or a ride in the car? Does he like to lay in your bed or on the couch? What are his favorite foods, snacks? Give you dog "the best day" and take photos so you can look back and remember the great time you had together.

I have two dogs, 6 and 4 1/2 and I dread the day they will be gone. I'm sorry you have to deal with this, but also remember you are taking away his suffering.
  • dnsrmr
    dnsrmr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    First of all, I'm deeply sorry your precious animal is sick with cancer.
    I had to do the same with my dog too by putting him to sleep as he was having a hard time with cancer & breathing at the end.
    I felt I had to do what I had to do, yet I had a great deal of guilt.
    I was told my animal trusted in me to make decisions for him, even until the very end.
    I then felt I made a good solid compassionate decision which lifted my guilt and sadness.
    Your animal trusts completely in you, loves you unconditionally no matter what, and will stay loyal to you until the end.
    We can learn alot from animals.
    On your part - you should take this extremely sad situation day by day.
    You should not be worrying about what you eat at this time.
    If it makes you feel better to eat your favorite food, then do this.
    No one knows what your heart and mind think except you (and your precious dog probably).
    I actually think eating what you want at this time can reduce your stress, which your dog can be feeling too.
    An animal amazingly feels when we're sad, etc.
    With such a difficult decision to face, it's important to focus your mind and time on your loved one, and not worry about anything or anyone else.
    Do what you have to do to keep yourself and your dog comfortable, even if it's through eating the comfort foods you mentioned.
    God bless you & your special pal.
    Enjoy your time with your buddy.
    ~Dee
  • hannahlbur
    hannahlbur Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Aw really sorry. X
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. :(
    I've never lost a pet before but one of our cats is becoming very ill and I feel that soon we may be in this situation. It will still come as a shock.

I think you should do what other people have suggested a make him a very happy dog by treating him to his favourite things.

I was nearly crying reading all these replies. xx
  • MJ5898
    MJ5898 Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    (((((HUGS))))) I had to let my first dog go almost 3 years ago and it is still the hardest thing I have ever done. However, it was kinder not to prolong his suffering. It is so hard to make a selfless decision like this but you are doing the right thing. As others have said, make the remainder of his time the best of his life. Enjoy him and know that your memories will sustain you even through your grief. I am crying just typing this - I really do know how hard it is. Our oldest just turned 14 and I know I will be in your place again soon. God bless. :heart:
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    We luckily had a few days before putting Kaili down to say goodbye. We visited my parents, fed her anything/everything she wanted, went out in the sun the morning of and stopped by Tim Hortons for some plain and chocolate glazed doughnut holes (she loved chocolate so 20 min before,she got some. She had eaten it a few times before in great quantity and was never sick from it). I am glad we took that time together to make it all about her. Take lots of pictures of your puppy/you and your puppy together. All that stuff helps.
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I just went through this EXACT same thing. Get ready to cry. Make sure you have support with you. Know that you are going to cry for several days. If you can, use your energy to go hike up a mountain and sit on a rock and reflect on all of your happy memories with your pug. GET ANOTHER DOG RIGHT AWAY!!!! Even if you don't feel you want to. Force yourself to go to the pound and rescue one. You will find love in your heart for him and he will fill a big hole in your heart. DO IT! And....give him all of his favorite snacks, cheese, steak, ice cream.....really let him live it up and love him to pieces!!!

I totally agree, Such good advice. Adopt a sweet dog in his place, one that doesn't get the love that you have to give. Hope everything works out, ((hugs))
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    i'm so sorry you're losing your little one. Give yourself time to grieve. Let others comfort you in a similar manner as you would if it were a different family member who passed. I am lucky, each time we have lost one of our little ones, we have had the other little ones help with comfort. I know it sound crazy but the first dog my husband and i had together who died at a much too young age was mourned immensely by his best friend, our cat. The second dog we lost, was mourned by the other dog we have. If you have other pets use them. they too miss their friend and need comfort and comforting them also comforts you.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. Don't go alone, and if you can, have someone with you for a while afterward. Losing a pet is so very hard.
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Thinking of you today -- I hope you're okay...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry about your pup, but know that you're doing the kindest, most unselfish thing for him. You're putting his needs before your own, and that's being a loving, wonderful doggie-mom.

Be kind to yourself, too. I love drinking and I love junk food, but when you're down, it's only going to make you feel more down. Take time to let yourself heal. Going from caretaker to mourner is a rough transition. My 18 year old cat had kidney and heart failure, and my life was so caught up in caring for her that I felt lost after she passed, not just from missing her, but because my routine was so different.

But if you need a day or two with a pint of Ben & Jerry's, that's ok, too. It's all part of the process, and big life event like losing a loved one is a very legitimate detour. You'll get back on track when you need to.
  • mrshoffman07
    Options
    Sounds like you and your dog deserve some really great last moments together. It sucks to know hen it is time but also thankful to get the quality time to remember. I did not get that when my dog died in my arms on Christmas morning in 2006. Christmas will never be the same.