Dinner at someone else's house?

Options
2»

Replies

• trilikeagirl
    Options
    If it's just once in awhile, I shut my mouth, eat the meal (sometimes eat before so I'm not so tempted to eat more bad things!) say thank you and guess at the calories in private. I'm trying not to be militant, just mindful. If it is on a regular basis, I explain what I am doing with nutrition and how it helps me, and offer to help cook or bring something, and do what I need to do. It's not rude.
  • ishapeme
    ishapeme Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with the comments above to bring something you make and have small, very small portions of what they make. I know for me it would be torture to be around all that food and not have any. Also, prepare yourself physically and MENTALLY.

Put in extra workout time, have light day the day before.
    Also, if your anything like me I have very bad self control. So I have to literally take time and think what my plan will be. What I absolutely want to eat, what I can live without trying out. Once you start eating ENJOY it. Every last bite. This is so important to feeling satisfying even though you didn't have bigger portions.

I hope this helps. I've become a pro at maintaining my weight during holiday season because of this process. I have 3 cooks in the family which is amazing but so tempting.
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Agree with what everyone has said so far. Fortunately I don't have this problem often because the one main friend whose house we have dinner at is trying to lose weight also and she understands that I need to know calorie counts. Also my parents know so they are accommodating. I would do some extra cardio before, and depending on how comfortable you are with his parents, mention you are watching what you eat and don't make a big deal out of it. That way maybe they will understand why you didn't scarf down your whole plate. You may just have to guesstimate your calories, but one day off won't kill you. Just make the best decisions you can. Good luck!
  • WKenL
    WKenL Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    First of all, you should feel free to be honest -- you're trying to watch what you eat, and want to track calories, etc.. I don't think that most people would be upset by that. If they would, then perhaps asking your boyfriend bring it up beforehand would help ease into it.

Second, it is true that one day won't wreck you. I have Sunday lunch with my parents almost every week, and their cooking is a bit different from mine.

Still, I make sure to get plenty of exercise, and a bit extra, on those days, eat very small breakfast, etc..

As for logging, just estimate. Guess at what will match up as best you can.
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    You can't avoid eating at someone else's house or going out to dinner forever...it is just one day. When you are there try to make the best decision and eat smaller portions. Offer to bring a side dish and if not, just workout that day and save up some calories and then enjoy the dinner.
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    If you aren't comfortable talking to your boyfriend's mother, maybe he can do it for you. My son dated a girl for a while that was vegetarian. If he hadn't told me, it would have been an awkward situation for her when they came for dinner. We are big on grilling so I just made sure I had several kinds of veggies to throw on the grill and a big salad. Everyone was happy and well fed!
  • Skittlebrew
    Options
    It isn't the end of the world if you deviate from your diet, unless you feel like you're the type of person who can't restrain yourself from jumping off the deep end, gorging yourself and ultimately losing your motivation to assimilate back into your diet routine. A diet shouldn't control you. Have control over yourself to stop eating when you are full and you should be fine.
  • atucker0821
    atucker0821 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Just eat. It's just one day. Enjoy life and time with friends and family.

i agree ^^

but i also agree with eating before you go so you won't eat so much of the bad stuff...
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You know exactly when this day is going to happen, so it's your responsibility to ensure that you stick to your weight-loss goal up until that day. When you're with your boyfriend's family, enjoy the meal, socialize, smile, and the next day you continue with your weight-loss goals. There is no reason to fret because you're going to eat some fattening food, if you learn to understand that eating healthy, exercising, and taking care of your mind and body is a lifetime achievement, not something you do on a whim.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Get a bit of calorie burn in earlier in the day and eat a filling snack before you go and then keep your portions low - that way you won't be starving but should still be ok with calories. I also like the idea of bringing something. When I go to BBQs in the summer, I make a light healthy pasta salad with lots of veggies - eat mostly that with just bites of other things.

Along the same lines - maybe volunteer to cook on or two nights that week and offer a healthier/lighter meal?
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Honestly, i have no shame asking for the packages. If they didn't come with one (like summer squash casserole that was homemade) i fix a plate, try to estimate how much of the ingedients are on my plate, look up the info at home and add 15 calories. that way, i over estimate instead of underestimateing. This works especially well around the holidays. Nobody should get offended by your request-just tell them you have certain dietary meeds and want ot make sure you;'re meeting them. Nobody has to know it's for a diet :)