I'm All Messed Up (Low Carb)

Options
Okay so, I thought I fell off the wagon on Monday, but really it was today. I've been living the low carb lifestyle, and I love it, buuuuuut today I ate pizza. Not one slice, but TWO! AND, it wasn't even thin crust!! I haven't worked out since Sunday, and oh it gets better... I suffer from IBS so a BM is not in the picture... yay cheese and bread!

I have felt like crap the past few days, and I just can't seem to get over this hump. I've been dealing with the IBS thing for 13 yrs (wow, I didn't even realize it had been that long until now), so I'm pretty used to it, it's just when I start to hurt really bad that I can barely move....Monday was one of those days.

I'm working on eliminating stress (yes I am aware you cannot eliminate completely, but I will drastically minimize and call it elimination) since that's my biggest trigger, but ummm... it is not easy! My fiance is stationed 900+ miles away, I have a 5yr old drama queen, I work full time, and I'm in school (online)...to top it all off, I'm unhappy with my chunkiness, which makes nothing better.

Okay, I really could have written all this elsewhere, but I needed someone to read it...like I've just said it all out loud. Now that it's out, I think I feel better...a little better. I'm tired of people telling me I've lost weight, they see it (but the scale doesn't) and then someone will turn around and criticize me for my eating habits or talking about weight loss because in "their opinion" I look good....whatever.

Now I think I'm done. Thanks for letting me rant! I plan on walking after work, save the intense stuff for tomorrow!

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing low carb with IBS? Wouldn't a diet rich in fiber (ie carbs) be best to maintain digestive health? Low carb is not needed for weight loss, and teaches you nothing about eating a balanced diet and long term success.

So many people who lose weight doing low carb gain all the weight back once they re-introduce carbs back into their diet.

Low carb is a farce. It has no metabolic advantage over traditional diets. It simply works by reducing water weight fluctuations and by eliminating or reducing 1/3 of the macro-nutrient tree.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Just hop back on the wagon with us fellow low carbers and let's get it!!!

The IBS symptoms will go away as your gut heals from the damage of the grains you have been eating. You have to give your body time to heal with eating the fats, protein and green leafy vegetables.

So, hop back on the wagon.............................

Are you coming???? :flowerforyou:
  • MaudeBeige
    Options
    Yes, I read it!!! (Hope that helps!) :tongue: :laugh:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I have some IBS tendencies myself - drink a lot of water. That'll help to move things along. Since your body isn't used to the carbs - it may take a few days for you to "normal" again. Just keep drinking the water - it'll help.

As for everything else - stress sucks and like you said, it is impossible to eliminate all of it. Just take it one day at a time.

Good Luck!
  • snorktharpe
    snorktharpe Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i read it and glad that writing it helped you out. sounds like you've got your hands full but if you're scale is stuck, i've read that adding more calories will actually fix that. it worked for my sister. and maybe your carbs are too low which may be whats making you tired. but you've got this :) take care
  • MJHdG
    MJHdG Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    breath in breath out and plow forward, we are here for your rants and good luck in your journey!
  • snorktharpe
    snorktharpe Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    and i forgot to mention that i also have ibs. since my diet to lower my sugar (diabetic) i've added whole grains which has totally straightened out my ibs :)
  • BBBombshell
    Options
    Okay so, I thought I fell off the wagon on Monday, but really it was today. I've been living the low carb lifestyle, and I love it, buuuuuut today I ate pizza. Not one slice, but TWO! AND, it wasn't even thin crust!! I haven't worked out since Sunday, and oh it gets better... I suffer from IBS so a BM is not in the picture... yay cheese and bread!

I have felt like crap the past few days, and I just can't seem to get over this hump. I've been dealing with the IBS thing for 13 yrs (wow, I didn't even realize it had been that long until now), so I'm pretty used to it, it's just when I start to hurt really bad that I can barely move....Monday was one of those days.

I'm working on eliminating stress (yes I am aware you cannot eliminate completely, but I will drastically minimize and call it elimination) since that's my biggest trigger, but ummm... it is not easy! My fiance is stationed 900+ miles away, I have a 5yr old drama queen, I work full time, and I'm in school (online)...to top it all off, I'm unhappy with my chunkiness, which makes nothing better.

Okay, I really could have written all this elsewhere, but I needed someone to read it...like I've just said it all out loud. Now that it's out, I think I feel better...a little better. I'm tired of people telling me I've lost weight, they see it (but the scale doesn't) and then someone will turn around and criticize me for my eating habits or talking about weight loss because in "their opinion" I look good....whatever.

Now I think I'm done. Thanks for letting me rant! I plan on walking after work, save the intense stuff for tomorrow!

Hey it is no biggy...2 pieces of pizza...whoopie. You are alright...eat better today :)
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I can relate to the IBS, I have really bad colitis. If it helps any, I find that when I get into a period of not being able to 'go', and getting really bad pain, I immediately reach for the Milk of Magnesia. It's the most gentle thing to take (2 tbsp or so), and you can take it ongoing without damaging your colon or causing any sort of lazy bowel.

I agree with the second post on this thread, but if low-carbing makes you feel good, then best of luck :)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing low carb with IBS? Would a diet rich in fiber (ie carbs) be best to maintain digestive health? Low carb is not needed for weight loss, and teaches you nothing about eating a balanced diet and long term success.

So many people who lose weight doing low carb gain all the weight back once they re-introduce carbs back into their diet.

Low carb is a farce. It simply works by reducing water weight fluctuations and by eliminating or reducing 1/3 of the macro-nutrient tree.

Hey, low carb is a lifestyle - not a diet.

And yes, IBS sufferers do best when taking out the grain and bean carbs. People with IBS do best with a eating plan rich in fats, proteins, vegetables, fruit and sometimes nuts and seeds.

I have IBS and my gut has healed since removing the grains and legumes.

And if the carbs are re-introduced in the correct way there is NO weight gain. Most people that gain the weight back go whole hog on going back to their sugar filled and processed food eating ways.

She didn't ask for anyone to come on this thread and preach to her about whether she needs low carb. She likes the lifestyle as stated in her second or third sentence. Geeesh, what works for you doesn't work for everyone so please give it a rest.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Lots of water and run, don't walk, to your local healthfood store and get a "yeast buster" kit. http://www.inno-vite.com/brochures/YBtotheRescue-E.pdf You will not regret it!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing low carb with IBS? Wouldn't a diet rich in fiber (ie carbs) be best to maintain digestive health? Low carb is not needed for weight loss, and teaches you nothing about eating a balanced diet and long term success.

Low carb is a farce. It has no metabolic advantage over traditional diets. It simply works by reducing water weight fluctuations and by eliminating or reducing 1/3 of the macro-nutrient tree.

Actually, I have IBS too.....and low carb is better for me! My gut goes crazy when I consume alot of carbs. There is nothing wrong with being on a low carb diet, and I have maintained for a few years now. My weight is the most stable on low carb......It flucuates like crazy when I eat more carbs than normal, not to mention the rumling pain in my belly :angry:

We are all different, just figure out what works for YOUR BODY!!

What I would do is just take one day at at time.....until you are back on track. Drink lots of water and get in a few good workouts, and you should be back to normal in no time!!
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I read this and I am loving your positive attitude and the fact you are being accountable. =)

5499814.png
  • cshelgol1
    cshelgol1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing with some really bad stomach issues for the last 2 yrs, and as one of the pals said before eliminating carbs is not a good idea when you are dealing with digestive problems. I was on a low carb diet for over 4 yrs, and managed to keep the weight off, however when I tried to incorporate carbs in my diet, I bloated terribly. Using my fitness pal has been one of the best things that has happened to my endeavors to loose weight. I eat a large variety of foods including carbs, work out, and have been in the best shape that I have ever been in. Im still dealing with the stomach issues but incorporating the carbs back in my diet has lessened the episodes, and I have kept the weight off. You can loose the weight just stay motivated and feel free to add me. Sticking to your fitness plan and watching your calories is all you have to do, it works.
    Good Luck,
    Shell
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing low carb with IBS? Would a diet rich in fiber (ie carbs) be best to maintain digestive health? Low carb is not needed for weight loss, and teaches you nothing about eating a balanced diet and long term success.

Low carb is a farce. It simply works by reducing water weight fluctuations and by eliminating or reducing 1/3 of the macro-nutrient tree.

Hey, low carb is a lifestyle - not a diet.

And yes, IBS sufferers do best when taking out the grain and bean carbs. People with IBS do best with a eating plan rich in fats, proteins, vegetables, fruit and sometimes nuts and seeds.

I have IBS and my gut has healed since removing the grains and legumes.

And if the carbs are re-introduced in the correct way there is NO weight gain. Most people that gain the weight back go whole hog on going back to their sugar filled and processed food eating ways.

She didn't ask for anyone to come on this thread and preach to her about whether she needs low carb. She likes the lifestyle as stated in her second or third sentence. Geeesh, what works for you doesn't work for everyone so please give it a rest.

LOL, I have IBS as well and eat carbs.. You mad? Oh, did I mention that my IBS symptoms have improved immensely since I lost weight? Like I said, some people think that low carbs are better for dieting. I was simply pointing out that low carb diets ARE NOT needed for weight loss (which is 100% correct), and the majority of low carb dieters gain their weight back once they re-introduce carbs (100% correct), and that low carbs are not metabolically advantageous over traditional carb filled diets. (again, 100% correct).

So excuse me for awaring the OP about the science behind the magic of low carbs. ;)

Also, for those complaining about carbs and weight fluctuation, it's completely normal. A gram of CHO causes your body to retain ~2g of water. People "think" they are sensitive to carbs simply do not understand the difference between fat gain and water weight fluctuation.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Do you usually try to be gluten free? I have heard from a reputable local functional medicine doctor a lot about gluten and its damaging effects on the colon. Not everyone is gluten intolerant, but gluten intolerance is a cause of IBS. Dairy is also inflammatory for many people.

Here is an article from Dr. Mark Hyman about it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/gluten-what-you-dont-know_b_379089.html
    One paragraph in article:
    Gluten Sensitivity: One Cause, Many Diseases

A review paper in The New England Journal of Medicine listed 55 "diseases" that can be caused by eating gluten. (iv) These include osteoporosis, irritable bowel disease, inflammatory bowel disease, anemia, cancer, fatigue, canker sores, (v) and rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, multiple sclerosis, and almost all other autoimmune diseases. Gluten is also linked to many psychiatric (vi) and neurological diseases, including anxiety, depression, (vii) schizophrenia, (viii) dementia, (ix) migraines, epilepsy, and neuropathy (nerve damage). (x) It has also been linked to autism.(ix)

Dr. Hyman has a website with tons of free info although it does also promote his books and some supplements.

Here's another article - if you scroll down to the part about cereals he talks about gluten and its toxic impact on the gut
    http://chriskresser.com/9-steps-to-perfect-health-1-dont-eat-toxins

Good luck - hope you feel better soon!
  • cshelgol1
    cshelgol1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    P.S. I am not bad mouthing low or no carb diets because it definitely helped me shed a lot of unwanted lbs.
  • bbonney
    bbonney Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have gluten issues and it makes my stomach crazy (most Dr's say it's IBS but it's not). I have been doing a slow carb diet and I love it! Makes me feel amazing. I too was stuck like you but that has seemed to FINALLY start that scale moving again in the right direction. Rant all you want that's what this is for. :bigsmile:
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    Do you use artificial sweeteners? I suffered for years with IBS and the minute I cut out the artificial sweeteners it magically went away. I have not had any stomach issues in almost 8 years. Recently I decided to try out Splenda, and within a few hours I was back to my old feelings of being bloated, feeling sick and running to the bathroom. It took about three days for me to get back to normal, but at least I know how to control it. I HAVE used Stevia though, and it does not bother my stomach near as bad as others.
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Chalk it up to a bad day...and get back with it! I am a low carber...and when life kicks me in the *kitten*, it is my way of eating that I can count on to keep me feeling strong and in control of things. I know that I am 100% in control of what I choose to put into my body...and when I make the right choices, not only do I feel better physically, but it helps me mentally because I know I did something good for myself...not to mention that I look and feel smoking hot. :) Power is within.