Truth or Myth about the potatoe?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are nutritious, but the carbs in potatoes digest very quickly much in the same way that simple sugar does, so they cause a spike in your insulin the same way sugar does. This is why they are generally considered bad. If you eat them, try to eat them with foods that are high in fiber and/or protein as these slow digestion.
  • lalinzki
    lalinzki Posts: 121
    Options
    WOOOOOOOOOOW...Its crazy how bad information can get people to think differently about food. Thanks guys I just missed my potatoes. Specially since my wife bought a slicer that can slice and shreds and do all kinds of cool stuff. I'm going to make hash browns with egg whites :)

Eat the yolk!

I would suggest learning moderation as opposed to eliminating foods entirely, but this approach might not be as easy for some people. But, if you're stepping into the ring and punching people and getting punched back, I'm assuming you can also show discipline in the kitchen and as such, moderation>elimination. IMO of course.
    HA! Funny that you post your answer, because I ran out of egg whites and I just love eggs with the yolk on them. DELICIOSO :)
  • lalinzki
    Options
    Its about knowing your limitations as well. My nana can't eat potatoes without a ton of butter on them so she avoids them. I love plain boiled potatoes with nothing on so I can eat them.

Peanut butter, on the other hand, is a whole other story :laugh:
    My wife also, and the fact the she brings french fries for the kids it gets me angry cause I miss ma patatoes but not no more..
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are not bad for you.
    They are about 70 calories an ounce and help fill you up.

However, if you dump a pile of butter on them or fry them in oil they will become bad for you. Its not the potato that's bad its what you do with it.

Yep...and add some plain non-fat greek yogurt in place of sour cream...mmmm
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lqo6y51iDN1qe8xbx.gif
  • lalinzki
    Options
    Homers voice "MMMMMMMMMMMMMM HEALTHY FOOD AHHHHHHHHHH!
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options

However, if you dump a pile of butter on them or fry them in oil they will become bad for you. Its not the potato that's bad its what you do with it.

Yep...and add some plain non-fat greek yogurt in place of sour cream...mmmm

That sounds lovely. I might try that. Thanks :drinker:
  • lalinzki
    Options
    tumblr_lqo6y51iDN1qe8xbx.gif
    LMAO!...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Poor gollum he doesn't know about PO-TA-TOES..LOL.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    250px-Dan_Quayle,_official_DoD_photo.JPEG
  • bcattoes
    Options

Exactly, its all in how it is prepared search for more healthful recipe options

Exactly! :)

This is not exactly true. Potatoes are bad for you in the same what that white bread/pasta are, regardless of the toppings.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Myth #2: "Sweet potatoes are better for you than white potatoes."

The origin: Because most Americans eat the highly processed version of the white potato—for instance, french fries and potato chips—consumption of this root vegetable has been linked to obesity and an increased diabetes risk. Meanwhile, sweet potatoes, which are typically eaten whole, have been celebrated for being rich in nutrients and also having a lower glycemic index than their white brethren.

What science really shows: White potatoes and sweet potatoes have complementary nutritional differences; one isn't necessarily better than the other. For instance, sweet potatoes have more fiber and vitamin A, but white potatoes are higher in essential minerals, such as iron, magnesium, and potassium. As for the glycemic index, sweet potatoes are lower on the scale, but baked white potatoes typically aren't eaten without cheese, sour cream, or butter. These toppings all contain fat, which lowers the glycemic index of a meal.

The bottom line: The form in which you consume a potato—for instance, a whole baked potato versus a processed potato that's used to make chips—is more important than the type of spud.

Read more: http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/food_myths/Sweet_Potatoes_are_Better.php#ixzz1bKaXPfOj
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Potatoes are nutritious, but the carbs in potatoes digest very quickly much in the same way that simple sugar does, so they cause a spike in your insulin the same way sugar does.

Onoz-omg_animated.gifOnoz-omg_animated.gifOnoz-omg_animated.gif

Why do you think this matters?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Potatoes are nutritious, but the carbs in potatoes digest very quickly much in the same way that simple sugar does, so they cause a spike in your insulin the same way sugar does.

Because it can lead to insulin resistance.
  • PB67
    Options

Myth

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=459
  • bcattoes
    Options

Myth

I'm not sure who wrote that article or why I would believe it, but the fact is that eating foods with these types of sugars raises triglyceride levels and high triglycerides are a key risk factor for insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome. If you want to eat them, then eat them.
  • PB67
    Options

Myth

I'm not sure who wrote that article

"James Krieger is the founder of Weightology, LLC. He has a Master’s degree in Nutrition from the University of Florida and a second Master’s degree in Exercise Science from Washington State University. He is the former research director for a corporate weight management program that treated over 400 people per year, with an average weight loss of 40 pounds in 3 months

In addition to helping people achieve their weight loss goals, James is a published scientist and author. He has published weight loss and nutrition-related research in prestigious scientific journals, including the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition and the Journal of Applied Physiology. James is the former editor for Journal of Pure Power, an online magazine which delivers scientific, but lay-friendly, information on training and nutrition to athletes and coaches. In fact, James has been involved in the health, nutrition, and fitness field for over 10 years, and has written over 250 articles on these topics. He is a strong believer in an evidence-based approach to health and well-being.

James is a licensed nutritionist with the state of Washington, a certified Health/Fitness Instructor with the American College of Sports Medicine, and a certified coach with Fowler Wainwright International. For more information on James’s background and experience, view his curriculum vita.
    or why I would believe it,

Perhaps because it's backed by peer-reviewed research.
    but the fact is that eating foods with these types of sugars raises triglyceride levels and high triglycerides are a key risk factor for insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome.

LULZ

Care to back this up? Preferably with something peer-reviewed? (PubMed > lay press)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I'm not sure who wrote that article or why I would believe it

James Krieger wrote the article. James is a very reputable source and quite honestly I think he's brilliant.

EDIT: For an old guy holding a newspaper, PB67 has fast fingers.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes but I have cut back on them. I do like to bake or boil the little golden potatoes and eat with a wedge of Laughing Cow Cheese melted into them. Yummy. Or, I slice and grill in my George Foreman Grill....a bit of pepper and sea salt. It's the not adding of all the butters and fats and toppings that have helped me.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes but I have cut back on them. I do like to bake or boil the little golden potatoes and eat with a wedge of Laughing Cow Cheese melted into them. Yummy. Or, I slice and grill in my George Foreman Grill....a bit of pepper and sea salt. It's the not adding of all the butters and fats and toppings that have helped me.

ohhh...never considered laughing cow cheese, I like plain greek yogurt but that sounds even better!! Thanks! :bigsmile:
  • johnsonc16
    Options
    I have started to eat red potatoes vs white ones, is this a good decision???