Ground Turkey -How do you eat it?

Options

Replies

• pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My family loves turkey burgers with 1 pkg reduced fat feta, 2 tsp greek seasoning, 1/2 cup oatmeal, and 1/2 cup egg substiture mixed with 2 lbs of turkey, grill on the stove top as they are hard to manage on a traditional grill.
  • monkeykh
    Options
    Stuffed cabbage rolls. We just made them and they were great. I never use ground beef anymore.

if you dont mind i would love your receipe for cabbbage rolls anytime!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I use it for tacos. :D
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Can you mix ground turkey with ground sirloin. My husband is not dieting with me, so I'd like to start using more ground turkey w/out him noticing and then gradually switch all the way over (this is how I got him to eat whole wheat pasta and turkey bacon, even though we recently switched back to pork due to his incessant begging. Luckily, we don't eat much bacon.)

Have you every tried switching meats like this or did you just go "cold turkey" - hah! Food pun. /dorkiness
  • monkeykh
    Options
    thats the key to eating better we are trained to only eat what taste good, after 5 weeks of eating different foods your palate hanges and you crave the good foods ! Has anyone tryed the RAW Foods Diet?
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I should have mentioned this in my earlier post, but I have a new favorite ground turkey recipe:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/01/asian-turkey-meatballs-with-lime-sesame.html

Try them - they're fantastic!!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Can you mix ground turkey with ground sirloin. My husband is not dieting with me, so I'd like to start using more ground turkey w/out him noticing and then gradually switch all the way over (this is how I got him to eat whole wheat pasta and turkey bacon, even though we recently switched back to pork due to his incessant begging. Luckily, we don't eat much bacon.)

Have you every tried switching meats like this or did you just go "cold turkey" - hah! Food pun. /dorkiness

You absolutely can mix it in recipes. I do it all the time! My husband and son are..... resistant to change - so if I'm making something that I think they'll balk at - I mix the turkey and beef. On the whole wheat pasta thing - have you tried brown rice pasta? We've found that we enjoy the texture of it so much more than the whole wheat pasta.
  • angelinerstetzko
    Options
    turkey, feta, onion and spinach burgers

NOMMMMM
  • csparon
    csparon Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I like to brown it, add a full bell pepper, half an onion and 1 large can of sloppy joe sauce. Cook it in a crockpot all day on low and you have some delicious sloppy joes :)
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey for everything. I am super into chicken broth based soup and it makes great meatballs.
    ground turkey
    grated cheese
    garlic powder
    pepper
    chopped parsely
    Mix it all. Make little balls and drop it in the soup when the broth is hot.

I also make crockpot chili with it. I always brown the meat first though and then add it to the pot.

Lettuce wraps with ground turkey. Mix cooked turkey beat with some hoisin, red wine vinegar, crushed garlic, red pepper flakes, chopped scallions, and shredded carrot and throw in a piece of boston lettuce
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Turkey Chili

1 lb ground turkey breast
    1 can tomatoes with chilis
    1 can red kidney beans
    1 can tomato sauce
    chili powder to taste
    1 onion

Cook turkey and onion then drain. Add tomatos, tomato sauce, drained and rinsed kidney beans and chili powder.
    Simmer 20 minutes
    Freeze 2 cup servings for later.
  • t_elliot
    t_elliot Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I often make and freeze turkey spinach burgers. Just add frozen chopped, drained spinach. a couple of egg whites and dry cottage cheese, pepper or whatever spices you like. form into burgers. Delicious and they freeze well!
  • nickyskins
    nickyskins Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Iam going to try it brah.
  • shellrae1973
    shellrae1973 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I guess I wasn't expecting ground turkey to have such a strong flavor. I made sheppards pie tonight with a mixture of ground beef and ground turkey and spiced the he!! out of it! I couldn't taste the turkey. I think I will gradually work myself into it. I am definately going to make some meatballs with a ground turkey/beef mixture. Can't wait to experiment
  • sanguinary
    Options
    We've made turkey burgers with worchestershire sauce yummmmmm
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I make a turkey meatloaf that tastes really good. The trick to using turkey is to SPICE the heck out of it. I also add some tabasco sauce (not a lot) to the meatloaf and it helps.

Amen to the above. Increase most herbs and spices, etc, at least by half. Hope you're using ground turkey breast, which is leaner. Some might disagree and say the dark meat has more flavor, but it is fattier, too. Also, ground turkey tends to be drier, so add a little liquid to it--broth, wine or vegetable juice. It's a great sub for any beef, pork or poultry dish.
  • sreeves1429
    sreeves1429 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of ground turkey either but it actually tastes good in chili. Making it in chili will actually cover the gamey taste that turkey sometimes has.
  • bluecal822
    bluecal822 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Tacos!!!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    turkey meatballs, turkeyloaf, turkey tacos, ground turkey lasagna! since i discovered ground turkey I rarely use ground beef!

This.

I also believe that you have to read the label and make sure you are getting healthier meat than the beef to be effective, and it also affects the taste. Some ground turkey packages have just as much and sometimes MORE fat and calories than its ground beef counterpart. That's why I didn't try it for a long time. I finally found one at Harris Teeter that is 99% fat free white breast meat.

I season the meat more than what I would have seasoned the beef, so perhaps that would help with the taste for you. But just like this person, I have exchanged this healthy turkey in all my beef recipes because the saturated fat and the calories are lower, and the protein is actually higher, too which is very important for me. I've found that with the correct seasonings, you can't even really tell much of a difference at all in most of the recipes.
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    this post is well placed. I bought some turkey mince the other day to try out and was having trouble thinking of what to do with it. Tacos sounds just the thing...or my curry cabbage rolls.

FWIW, turkey drumsticks also make a wicked curry.