Oct Challenge Week 4

Options
OK. Here's Week 4 Challenge! Remember today is weigh day so either message me of log your weight here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqxTXEpIQxabdGR1U05jNGVkMTBLTi1kWmFvZk9RWEE&hl=en_US#gid=0

Quite a few of us want to keep going, so Let's find a new name for our lil group! Bring on the ideas! If you don't want to keep going, let me know so I can clean up the spreadsheet, we won't feel offended if you don't want to keep going!

Week 4

1. 6 miles of walking, jogging, biking, anything you can track miles on.
2. Start blogging if you don’t blog. It’s a great place to vent! Really! Share your blog link! So we can all cheer you on!
3. Check out you tube for a new exercise you have never done before. Try it and let us know how it was, feel free to share the link! If you belong to Netflix, they have DVD’s too.
4. Strength training: do 5 min a day. Squats, arm curls, crunches, calf raises, V up’s, anything goes! I feel we don’t do this as much as we should, so try your best!
5. Track sodium. Read labels, sodium is everywhere. I struggle with this; even when I make good choices, do you?
6. For this last week, share your overall success! What have you changed, how do you feel now, did this challenge help you? Have you worked out more; fit into those tight jeans, motivation is better… Was this helpful to you? Do you want to go another month? I want to see your success!
7. Let’s keep track of how many minutes we work out all week. Strength training counts for minutes. If you want to keep them separate, you can.
8. A Really hard lower body crunch… O.K. lay on the floor on your back. Legs straight out. Raise 1 off the floor a few inches. Raise the other one up till it is reaching for the ceiling, then lower that leg down to the height of the opposite leg. That is 1 rep. So, both feet are off the floor, and 1 leg is moving up and down. Do as many as you can then switch legs. I learned this in my boot camp class. We had to do it for 30 second EACH leg. Killer!

Replies

• jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Great quote for today!!!

"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
    - George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian
  • holly_v
    holly_v Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kellyb63
    kellyb63 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm still going, want to move on into November if possible.

I'm tracking sugar and sodium now. Boy that sodium sure adds up. I'm going to cut out some dairy this week too. Eat dry cheerios, fibers etc. Also, going to do some protein shakes - replacement meals thru Halloween to reach my personal goal. If I could just get out of the 170s for good. Sigh!

Everyone have a good weekend!
  • amitcham4
    amitcham4 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love this quote! Every time I go to work out my mind says you can do this but my body doesn't want to! Especially lately I have been tricking myself--I tell myself o.k. I will only do a light work out for thirty minutes, thirty minutes is better than nothing. Then I get in there and I usually last 45min to an hour and feel great!
  • Emwalker3406
    Emwalker3406 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad we are keeping this going. These challenges really make a difference. I'm not much of a blogger but I will try this week. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Emwalker3406 is my two old posts. I think it would be nice if our name said something about our ultimate goal to be a lil healthier one day at a time.
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Love this challenge! I'm glad we going to continue!

Down 2.9 lbs from last week! Very happy!
  • FitasBarbie
    FitasBarbie Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Definitely joining you gals again on November!

This weeks sodium challenge will be great for me salty things are my weakness! The leg crunch is defo a killer Jen try doing that while raising both your arms parallel to your legs! Hopefully we will rock the weight loss this week, thanks for this week's challenge Jen! Good luck everyone!
  • Pam37841
    Pam37841 Posts: 286
    Options
    I added my info to the sheet! Thanks to whom ever fixed it from last week. I lost 2 more pounds this week.
    I MET MY GOAL! I am hoping to double it by the end of the month. I hope my inches match up.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!
  • Malumyangel
    Options
    What a great group! I’m happy we all want to keep this going. OK I am gonna do my 6 miles today. I live 3.8 miles from my in-laws and I’m gonna bike over for a visit. Then of course, I’ll have to bike back home. I am a little shy to blog, but I will try. Can someone please tell me how to start? Where do I click? I love looking on youtube for exercises, so that’s no problem. I like the strength training challenge better this week, there was no way I could do all those squats every day, but I can definitely do some kind of strength training every day. Ok fine, I’ll track sodium. I LOVE SALT. I will keep track of all exercised minutes. Is today day 1 of the week or is tomorrow? I will try the lower body crunch.

I gained back a few lbs. this week, but this challenge has shown me how much calories I was really consuming unchecked. And I learned I don’t necessarily have to feel deprived to lose weight and feel better about myself. I don’t weigh until tomorrow, but I know my overall loss for the October challenge, so far, is gonna be in the 5-6 lb range. And that’s a success. Thanks for all the support on here. This group has been a big help and inspiration to me. I see mom’s working hard and still finding the time to exercise. I also see people going through tough times in their lives, yet still working on weight loss and feeling better about themselves as people. You are all winners in this group. LOVE YAS
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I want to keep going so please include me, I have lost one pound since joining you guys and this will be my third week. I did not loose this week but I did not gain either that is always a big plus

1. 6 miles of walking, jogging, biking, anything you can track miles on.
    If the weather permits I would love to give this a try, but it is still hot here in AZ we are supposed to be in the 90s again next week. I usually walk for 30 minutes at lunch when the weather is nice

2. Start blogging if you don’t blog. It’s a great place to vent! Really! Share your blog link! So we can all cheer you on!
    I do blog and here is the link to my blog, I am trying to blog everyday but with two kiddos and a full time job it has not been easy.
    http://motivatedmommyoftwo.blogspot.com/

3. Check out you tube for a new exercise you have never done before. Try it and let us know how it was, feel free to share the link! If you belong to Netflix, they have DVD’s too.

I have done exercises from this site before, http://www.bodyrock.tv/ they are awesome. I do not have any equipment but she has exercises that do not require equipment. My goal is to some day have abs like her LOL!!! in my dreams :)

4. Strength training: do 5 min a day. Squats, arm curls, crunches, calf raises, V up’s, anything goes! I feel we don’t do this as much as we should, so try your best!

You know I can start doing pull ups at home for 5 minutes after my workouts. I did the squats one three days out of the week and they were a good workout.

5. Track sodium. Read labels, sodium is everywhere. I struggle with this; even when I make good choices, do you?

Yep I struggle with this even when making good choices but I am learning.

Good luck everyone
  • Emwalker3406
    Emwalker3406 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I am a little shy to blog, but I will try. Can someone please tell me how to start? Where do I click?
    From the "MY HOME" tab click "My Blog". From there click "Add post" and begin your journey.
  • sninny
    sninny Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I would love to continue through November. Help keep me focused through the holidays!

I got my 5 miles in easily last week and am excited to do 6 this week. Thanks for the great challenges!
  • BeccaB1981
    BeccaB1981 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have met my first mini goal of losing 5% of my starting body weight!! I set a new mini goal to lose 5% of my current weight and hope to do it by Nov 24 so I would love to kee this challenge going another month. My goal is to actually do more of the challenges specifically the stuff I am not already doing as part of my normal routine. I have been slacking on those still even though they are great ideas! So I gotta do better from now on.
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I have been having a few rough weeks with not being able to exercise like i want to, I am looking forward to a better month next month so please keep it going!!!

And thanks again Jenn for doing this~
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    And thinking about sodium heres what I do. I buy everything and I mean everything low sodium. If I buy wheat thins for a snack I buy just a hint of salt (and they taste good) I buy all canned goods veges, soups, etc low sodium, chicken broth I buy organic and either no or low sodium and when I cook I don't add any at all.

I found over time to add other spices fresh garlic, fresh basil, cinnamon, small sprinkle of fresh parmesan to eggs, a tablespoon of a organic ginger sauce…i experiment and find things with flavor so i don't need it. Lemon juice on veges, etc. (by the way Dr Oz says lemon juice very healthy!!!)

Now if i could just do as good with sugar as i do with salt my weight would be gone!!!
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    And thinking about sodium heres what I do. I buy everything and I mean everything low sodium. If I buy wheat thins for a snack I buy just a hint of salt (and they taste good) I buy all canned goods veges, soups, etc low sodium, chicken broth I buy organic and either no or low sodium and when I cook I don't add any at all.

I found over time to add other spices fresh garlic, fresh basil, cinnamon, small sprinkle of fresh parmesan to eggs, a tablespoon of a organic ginger sauce…i experiment and find things with flavor so i don't need it. Lemon juice on veges, etc. (by the way Dr Oz says lemon juice very healthy!!!)

Now if i could just do as good with sugar as i do with salt my weight would be gone!!!

HAHA! My salt is so old the package is yellowed. I can't remember when I filled the salt shaker. When we have parties for the kids, my mom bring her own because she know I will forget to have it there. Like when we do a party at the park or for camping. LOL
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    I have met my first mini goal of losing 5% of my starting body weight!! I set a new mini goal to lose 5% of my current weight and hope to do it by Nov 24 so I would love to kee this challenge going another month. My goal is to actually do more of the challenges specifically the stuff I am not already doing as part of my normal routine. I have been slacking on those still even though they are great ideas! So I gotta do better from now on.

So, how do you calculate the percent? I am going to weigh tomorrow. I got dressed today before I weighed, so I skipped it. lol
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    Well, I try to blog when I can...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jennmoore3

I have been so proud of everyone on here. We are so awesome! Everyone keeps me going, we are all so nice to each other! Love it! I am so glad everyone so far wants to keep going! Salt kills me every time. Not a clue why. Well, I do cuz it is everywhere.

My overall success, is motivation. I feel better, talking to you all. I feel like I need to be good so I won't let anyone down. My exercise is hit or miss, but I do something every, even if it is squats in the bathroom! I have noticed, I can breathe better while cutting my toenails. and tying my shoes. I used to just slip them on and not tie them cuz I just used them to go to work and change into my work shoes. OR I would wear my crocks. Now, I tie them every time I put them on. lol I had to literally run for something at work. I didn't die and I did it faster. The doctor was waiting on me. lol My endurance is getting better. AND it is kind of exciting for me. I used to be very athletic and active, so this feeling is so wonderful!With winter coming, I am going to have to focus more on DVD's and the treadmill.
  • ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    BUMP :D
  • babycinders
    babycinders Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I slack last week on the exercises so I didn't lose anything but I weigh in tomorrow for week three and I'm excited cause I know I kicked butt this week. Would love to continue with the group. Logging in and reading every ones posts does help me keep motivated. I'm determined to make it to my goal for New Years. :)