Human rights?

Options

Replies

• CuteEllais
    CuteEllais Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    In NY, I'm fairly certain that if you are defending yourself or your home, reasonable physical force is allowable. You can also defend yourself outside your home with reasonable force if you are physically attacked.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    Now playing devil's advocate.

So, what's to stop you kidnapping someone you don't like, taking them home, killing them, setting it up to look like a burglary, and phone the cops and say he broke in so you killed him?

Seems like a lot of work when you can just go bury them in someone's yard or run them through a woodchipper.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    In NY you are expected to let them ransack the place.
    Virtually any action other then to run away will leave you in the backseat of a police cruiser.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I believe self-defense is a right in most states.

Self-defense is, but most states don't consider defense of home to be "self-defense." There are only a few states in which you're allowed to kill someone just for breaking in. In most states, you have a duty to retreat first. Then, if the burglar comes after you, you can shoot.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    You need to know the whole story.
    For example a friend of mine was renting a house with some friends.
    He had never been to the house before and he got the address wrong.
    He walked in, made himself a sandwich and took a shower.
    He was in the place alone for about 3 hours before he realized he was in the wrong place.
    He left and no one was the wiser except for some missing cold cuts and a wet towel.
    I don't think his mistake justified shooting on site.
  • bjclaywell
    bjclaywell Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    In Arizona if you come into my house, and have an intent to harm (intent to harm is key here), I can defend myself however appropriately.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    pretty sure that depends on the state. Not positive, but almost... In Texas, if they are in/on your property, you have rights. Gotta :heart: TEXAS!!!

I think this one is King of the Castle law or something like that. Castle Doctrine.

hahaha, um, nope. Real law. Shoot first. Ask questions later.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Ok, all Americans here. I'm asking for no other point that i am genuinely curious on this.

Over here in the UK you can't buy "guns", sports pistols etc aside. And, i feel much safer knowing that the chances of anyone having a gun is very, very low.

When you had those school shootings, did the "law" about your right to bear arms come under scrutiny? It just seems very...easy for that kind of thing to happen, given your gun laws.
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    If they break into my house, there won't be any chance of them sueing me. However, there is a likely chance I will have to explain clean my gun.

They wont, but their family probably will. You committed murder. It'll be hard to deny that.

Not murder, I live in Texas. The Castle Doctrine. But good luck trying to get a conviction on me.
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    "If you give a moose a muffin..." seems to apply to many aspects of life today. I strongly support rights but people have come to take advantage of them. There was a time when unions were necessary to protect people's lives, now they are overrun with greed. Civil rights were necessary to get a grip on racism, now there are people who use it to their own advantage. You can choose to eat at McDonald and sue them for what you ordered.

Locally this week, one of our police officers was stabbed by a man who had set fire to a house and led the police on a chase. Back up officers shot the man and he died from his injuries. His mother called him a "good son" and is now suing the police department for his death, saying it was based on race. :noway:

What the hell does "give a moose a Muffin " mean?
    By the way, love the ticker. Zepplin rule, well they did anyway.
    Phil
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

So, what's to stop you kidnapping someone you don't like, taking them home, killing them, setting it up to look like a burglary, and phone the cops and say he broke in so you killed him?

Seems like a lot of work when you can just go bury them in someone's yard or run through a woodchipper.

Amen. Way easier to run them through a woodchipper.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options

Umm... I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you might consider writing horror story novels or something...... I'm just saying.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    If you break into my house, while I am home......tragic.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    "If you give a moose a muffin..." seems to apply to many aspects of life today. I strongly support rights but people have come to take advantage of them. There was a time when unions were necessary to protect people's lives, now they are overrun with greed. Civil rights were necessary to get a grip on racism, now there are people who use it to their own advantage. You can choose to eat at McDonald and sue them for what you ordered.

Locally this week, one of our police officers was stabbed by a man who had set fire to a house and led the police on a chase. Back up officers shot the man and he died from his injuries. His mother called him a "good son" and is now suing the police department for his death, saying it was based on race. :noway:

Phil

If You Give A Moose a Muffin is a kids book...it explains the domino effect of what happens after you give the moose a muffin, he'll want jam to go with it, then he'll want this, that & other thing and so on...
  • PhilipByrne
    Options
    Ok, all Americans here. I'm asking for no other point that i am genuinely curious on this.

Over here in the UK you can't buy "guns", sports pistols etc aside. And, i feel much safer knowing that the chances of anyone having a gun is very, very low.

When you had those school shootings, did the "law" about your right to bear arms come under scrutiny? It just seems very...easy for that kind of thing to happen, given your gun laws.

You just opened a whole can of Whoop *kitten*. Are Pastafarians pascifists?
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    There isn't a such thing as human rights anymore. The same goes for peeing in your own yard in the sticks, and the mail man driving by and turning you in for indecent exposure.....and ruining the rest of your life.

Human Rights are a thing of the past unfortunately.

Now, justice does exist, but it's at the hand of the person giving or receiving the justice....just make sure nobody sees it.
  • PhilipByrne
    Options

Phil

Thanks ever so..

If You Give A Moose a Muffin is a kids book...it explains the domino effect of what happens after you give the moose a muffin, he'll want jam to go with it, then he'll want this, that & other thing and so on...
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    You are forgetting a large part. Nine times out of ten, they will lose and go to jail anyway. If you're in fear for your life you have the right to shoot to kill. They could arrest you for it, but no judge in their right mind would actually prosecute.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    If they break into my house, there won't be any chance of them sueing me. However, there is a likely chance I will have to explain clean my gun.

They wont, but their family probably will. You committed murder. It'll be hard to deny that.

Not murder, I live in Texas. The Castle Doctrine. But good luck trying to get a conviction on me.

Well, it IS murder, by definition. But, either way, how would you feel if after you shot him, you found out he was just in the wrong house? You say to shoot first, ask later, but you could have just shot an innocent man.

I'm sure all UKers here remember this case, but for you non-UKers...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_(farmer)
  • amberrrogers
    Options

I disagree with you, defense of yourself, family, home, prperty is not murder. Period
This discussion has been closed.