Quinoa Recipes?

Options
2»

Replies

• parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Its great added into soups! Also instead of cooking it just in water you can cook it in chicken or beef broth.

You can cook it & eat it like oatmeal. Add it to meats to make meat loaf or meat balls. You can even add some cooked and cooled to salads or wraps. Substitute it in any recipe that calls for rice.

I have a cook book called Quinoa 365 the everyday super food & there are tons of amazing recipes in there! You can buy quinoa flour ( or grind it yourself) & makes cakes & cookies & stuff with it.

Once you learn a few different ways, the possibilities are endless... :)
  • carsmakemebeep
    carsmakemebeep Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I simply add low fat yogurt and toasted walnuts (they have good fats). or you can add a teeny bit of ranch, sliced cucumbers/tomatoes with cilantro and lime juice in it :) these are my favorite ways to eat it
  • sakalou
    Options
    One of my favorite taco joints (Snack Dragon, LES, all you New Yorkers should go, right now!) serves it in what they call a quack-n-cheese. It's pretty much a vegetarian taco with out the tortilla or mac-n-cheese with pico de gallo and it's SO GOOD!!!!
  • doc_martin
    Options
    My favorite so far has been a quinoa paella.

Box of quinoa
    Box of low sodium chicken stock
    McCormick recipe inspirations spanish chicken skillet seasoning pack (this is one of those packs with 6 or so individual spices)
    onion
    red pepper
    can of tomato paste
    frozen peas
    1 cup water

and your choice of proteins. I use chicken and shrimp but a nice smoked or andouille sausage and mussels taste good too.

Cook the quinoa al dente using the chicken stock in a separate pot.

In a cast iron skillet (or another pan that can go from stove top to oven) sear your chicken and/or sausage.

Combine the quinoa, vegetables, spices, chicken/sausage, water and tomato paste in the skillet. Top with the shrimp and/or mussels. Cook in a 350 degree oven for about 15 min or until the quinoa is thoroughly cooked and most of the water has evaporated.

Let cool and enjoy!
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    My husband makes homemade cookies out of them!!
    Can you share that recipe? :flowerforyou:
  • Mynue_Jeens
    Mynue_Jeens Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I made this for lunch with the Quinoa I bought. Added diced grilled chicken breasts, sundried tomatoes, feta cheese, some dried herbs and cayenne pepper. Turned out really yummy :)

a08hux.jpg
  • rmworthem
    Options
    My favorite so far has been a quinoa paella.

Box of quinoa
    Box of low sodium chicken stock
    McCormick recipe inspirations spanish chicken skillet seasoning pack (this is one of those packs with 6 or so individual spices)
    onion
    red pepper
    can of tomato paste
    frozen peas
    1 cup water

and your choice of proteins. I use chicken and shrimp but a nice smoked or andouille sausage and mussels taste good too.

Cook the quinoa al dente using the chicken stock in a separate pot.

In a cast iron skillet (or another pan that can go from stove top to oven) sear your chicken and/or sausage.

Combine the quinoa, vegetables, spices, chicken/sausage, water and tomato paste in the skillet. Top with the shrimp and/or mussels. Cook in a 350 degree oven for about 15 min or until the quinoa is thoroughly cooked and most of the water has evaporated.

Let cool and enjoy!

now this sounds delicious. ok minus the shrimp. ;-) Thanks!
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    You can also buy quinoa as flakes (for an "oatmeal" type of breakfast) or as flour (for baking). :smile: Haven't tried these myself yet, but I am planning to!