5k times?

Options
I have just recently started training for a 5k. I honestly woke up one morning and said...I want to run a 5k race, so I am determined to do so. However, I have no idea what a "good" 5k time is for a beginner runner or a "good" 5k time period. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• Kellie0710
    Kellie0710 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I guess I would consider myself a beginner runner and I ran a 5k tonight and did it in 42 minutes =/ My goal is to get it down to 35 minutes or less though. Just listen to your body, everyone is different =)
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    My very first was a little over 39 minutes. My very best was just under 32. My goal is sub 30 someday.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My goal for the first one was to hit 5MPH or 12 minute miles. That's the speed that takes a fast walk into a run, and I wanted to be able to do that for a whole three miles in a row. Now I'm aiming for 6MPH, or 10 minute miles. Someday, maybe, I'll see the 7 minute miles I ran while I was in the army a million years ago, but for now i don't think about it.

It really depends on where you're at. If you're moving from walking up to running, you might let that be your goal, regardless of the speed. Just aim for running the entire distance. Speed comes with time.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    A good beginning 5k time is any one in which you finish. My first was just over 33 minutes. My next was just over 31. My next was 36 but I was running with a first timer. I suggest Couch to 5k. It's great for getting started.
  • MisterSixer
    MisterSixer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I ran the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge this year for the first time. 28 mins 30 secs.
  • fimm
    fimm Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hope this doesn't scare you too much... I would say a "good" time full stop would be sub 20 minutes... a good beginners time? I don't know... sub 30? I've only run one stand alone 5km and that was 23 minutes and that was slow relative to most of the field.. but that was a race full of people who ran regularly... if you're in a field of people who are new to running then 23 minutes might be quite fast.
  • agirlrunning
    Options
    I have done 8 of them to date. My first one was 32:41 which I thought was AMAZING!!! My most recent was 31:16 but my best is 30:05 (My ultimate goal is sub 30 so I was crushed I came so close). It really all depends on the course (if it's hilly, you'll be slower), the weather (hot or windy makes you slower), your nutrition and sleep (if you're fatigued you won't perform as well). Just go out and do your best. If it's your first one, you'll set a PR and THAT then becomes your time to beat. Good Luck and remember: time is irrelevant, all that matters is that you: 1) FINISH and 2) HAVE FUN!!
  • foodluver27
    Options
    I did my first 5k on Thanksgiving 2010 for the Turkey Trot..my time was about 38 minutes....doing the Turkey Trot again this year...would love for it to be 30-35 minutes but we shall see..good luck to you!
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I would say somewhere between 35 and 40 minutes. When I ran my very first 5K it was in 33:00 and change.
  • lavaflow99
    lavaflow99 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    A good beginning 5k time is any one in which you finish.

This is the answer to your question....well said!!!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options

EXACTLY!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I think a good time to shoot for is 45 minutes. That's a 15 minute mile (or 3MPH), obviously the more jogging and less walking or if you run the whole time, your time will be much less. If you run the whole way, you'd probably be looking more along the lines of 36-40 minutes, 12 minute miles.

My first 5K which I walked the entire distance was 58 minutes. My current best with a combo of walking and running is 44 minutes. That was May of 2010 so over a year and a half ago, and now I am doing a 5K training program, so I hope to drop that considerably, but we'll see how it goes.
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Running in the uk? Check out parkrun.org.uk for a local 5k and they post the latest results. Times seem to vary from sub 20 mins to over 40 mins. I would say first - just finish (that's my current goal!), then work on improving the time!
  • Kellie0710
    Kellie0710 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hope this doesn't scare you too much... I would say a "good" time full stop would be sub 20 minutes... a good beginners time? I don't know... sub 30? I've only run one stand alone 5km and that was 23 minutes and that was slow relative to most of the field.. but that was a race full of people who ran regularly... if you're in a field of people who are new to running then 23 minutes might be quite fast.

scared me since I am not even sub 40, lol oh well like someone else said I aim to finish =) I have completed a Half Marathon, a 5k and next weekend I will be doing a 10k so speed doesnt really bother me right now, just finishing and having that sense of accomplishment is enough for now =) But eventually I will work to increase my speed.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

EXACTLY!

Second that!!!! I do 5k in 40 minutes. But then again I really do not care about my rinning time, I care more about how heavy I an deadlift lol
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

I would say an absolutely phenomenal time would be sub 20. Winning men around here are typically around 17 minutes, winning women around 20-21, with course records around 15 for men and 18 for women. Middle of the pack is usually around 30 minutes, with folks bringing up the rear in about 48 minutes.

I agree that a good time is any time you finish and think, "Yay! I did it!" Doesn't matter what the numbers on the clock say, it's what you feel good about.

When I finished Couch to 5k, I would have been happy with under 36 minutes, since I typically ran 5 to 5.5mph on the treadmill and heard outside running was so much harder. I found out I'm the opposite. Running outside is easier for me, and I ran better than I thought. I did my first 5k in 29:42 in March, then a few weeks later in 27:56. I didn't do any 5k races from April until last month, when I did 25:29, and did another today in 24:59. I was 3rd in my age group, 6th female, and 20th overall, and absolutely thrilled with my time.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in late September. I was ecstatic to have finished in 39:54.61. My goal was to finish in less than 45:00.00.
  • mandy_lynn
    mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I ran my first one today. It was very hilly and I finished with a time of 32:05. I'm pretty happy with that, and I'm looking forward to a flat race to see how much faster I can go!
    I'm with the others though, I think any race you can finish is a good time to start to work with improving :)
  • Carlton_Banks
    Carlton_Banks Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I ran a 5K at a local organized race earlier this year for the first time at the encouragement / harassment of my cycling instructor at the gym. She ran 21:20 and I ran 22:48. I surprised myself because I usually run no faster than an 8 minute mile pace when I run for exercise, but I guess the race atmosphere must have given me a rush of adrenaline and I just rolled along with the lead group. I may try my luck again next Spring. My 16 year old runs a 22, so I feel pretty good about where I am with my fitness level at age 47. I have since lost 25 pounds and doubled my workout mileage, I'm thinking I can run even faster now, if pushed again.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    A good beginning 5k time is any one in which you finish. My first was just over 33 minutes. My next was just over 31. My next was 36 but I was running with a first timer. I suggest Couch to 5k. It's great for getting started.

That is what i was going to say, i ran my first one in May and i did it in 36 mints but i walked some of it. I just was considering myself lucky to finish it. I now do 3 miles in 33 mints on a good day and 34 mints most days. But i do it everyother day because i love it now. I think like the guy up there said it is one you can finish.

Now im going to keep on doing the three miles over and over til it is sooo comfortable i will be able to add sprints in there. I may sign up for more races soon. I willnto be looking to win but just to do it.

YOu will feel awesome no matter what time you have because it is unbeleivable how you feel going across the finish line. I was also doing it for my mother who just had past away in my home with COPD. I was doing it for her, she wanted me to be healthy and do what she never could do.