When did you know it was time to start losing weight?

Options

Replies

• Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    oh gosh, here it goes. My mom is always so sweet to me about my looks/weight and always told me I looked nice. BUT THEN, dun dun dun, one day she told me to "watch myself" and basically she was saying that I was getting too big, and I finally went to weigh myself and it DID say 300.00 0_o, needless to say I lost 3 pounds over the next few days starting in Feb. and have been going ever since.
  • lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Options
    My defining moment was literally 3 weeks ago when I read an article about how to create and achieve goals.
    S.M.A.R.T. Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely.

After reading the article a fire inside of me ignited and I started a journal and wrote all my goals.... one big one being 2 vacations I have coming up to Mexico in Dec. then Hawaii in Feb and the thought of being in a bikini terrified me. ....& I wrote all the reasons why I want to lose weight and all the reasons I don't want to lose weight (soul searching stuff ya know) ..... then found MFP.

I decided right then and there 3 weeks ago that I'm doing this! Nothing is going to stop me !!!
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I've known for a long time.. but I refused to acknowledge it.. until about three months ago, when a customer at work asked when i was due. :/ I guess you could call that.. 'the straw that broke the camel's back'. it triggered something deep down inside, and i realized it was really time, this time.
  • Akjenn89
    Akjenn89 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have also done the, detagging of facebook pictures because I looked terrible. I noticed it when I would walk up stairs and get winded and want to catch my breath. I saw the signs. But it wasn't until I stepped on the scale and I read "190". And now I'm saying hell no, I will not go. I am not going to hit 200. It's time for me to become a better, healthier person. I have one more semester of college left after this, and I want to be able to walk across the graduation stage without being winded and looking GREAT.
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I saw pictures of myself. My face was rounder...although when I looked in the mirror sometimes, i thought I didn't look TOO bad...but what sealed the deal was the fact that I could not fit into some of my clothes.

TIME FOR A CHANGE!

And it happened. I am so close to fitting into my old clothes :wink:
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I have also done the, detagging of facebook pictures because I looked terrible. I noticed it when I would walk up stairs and get winded and want to catch my breath. I saw the signs. But it wasn't until I stepped on the scale and I read "190". And now I'm saying hell no, I will not go. I am not going to hit 200. It's time for me to become a better, healthier person. I have one more semester of college left after this, and I want to be able to walk across the graduation stage without being winded and looking GREAT.

*Winded up the stairs and detagging FB pictures. I'm guilty of this
  • dgarblik
    dgarblik Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This weekend is my wake up call... I've never been so big. I am out of breath and my joints hurt.. In 26 years old. I'm tired all the time and find no motivation. I work as an assistant in a salon and my slap in the face is working around beautiful women all day long and thin and fit. I am the biggest girl there and one if the youngest.. Anyway- everytime I looked in the mirror all I could see was my tummy and love handles. I look like I was uncomfortable and I couldnt stand normally cuz I kept trying to hide my trouble spots which made it worse. This week I'm going to join a gym with classes and a pool... It's time to change and u have 4 weddings to look forward to this comming year one in which is my twin sister! I have that carrot and I will fight for it! I'll keep you all updated
  • hhcote
    hhcote Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I earned some money and was able to pay off half my credit card debt. What a relief that was! I felt the weight of the world of my shoulders and, I don't know why, but I just felt inspired to get the stress weight off. Then I found MFP and love it. People here are so inspiring. And, where else can I put up "I lost 2 pounds" and people are excited for me! And, I feel lucky to be able to see other people's amazing success stories! So inspiring!!
  • narenn
    narenn Posts: 73
    Options
    19 years old, 6ft 1, big built frame, and I've never ran a mile...ever

And soooo tired of the fat jokes...
  • khua0808
    Options
    When I wanted people to start judging for who you are inside, not outside.

But ironically the only way to do that is to change both who you are inside and outside.
  • DdoubleU77
    Options
    I realized it was time a few days ago when I had to buy a new ladder for work (to set up displays) because the one I already had would only hold up to 200 lbs. :-/
  • bluecal822
    bluecal822 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm a size 12 in the US, but when I came to study abroad in Australia, I'm a size 16, which is plus sized. I have always refused to be plus sized.
  • fruittart7
    Options
    when one day i looked in the mirror and I suddenly realized that my belly bulged out of my skirt and looked i looked like the pillsbury dough boy :)
  • TamLind83
    TamLind83 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    When I was barely able to wear my "fat jeans" anymore because I could see the seems pulling and was afraid they might rip open at some point while I was out in public.
  • copykatnjesus
    copykatnjesus Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Praise the Lord!! You've lost soooo much already. Keep believing if
    you lost 200 you can lose 200 more +. Great job, so inspirational.
    Keep it up and God bless!!
  • soniaa777
    soniaa777 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    when i looked in the mirror and saw my face was disappearing into a fat mushball. also i kept seeing more pictures of myself and saw my neck and chin and face becoming one..and i starting getting more frequent pains in my chest signs of an unhealthy heart and alway achy and tired. when i looked around class and realized i was the fat person in the room. all that coming together got me off my butt to start making a good attempt. got ways to go, but thats the start.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    When I looked at my junior year prom pictures and fell into hysterics, untagged myself from all of them, and moped around for a few hours until remembering that being fat doesn't have to be permanent.
  • copykatnjesus
    copykatnjesus Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Looks like u already lost 20!!! Whoo whoo! Great start,
    you deserve it all. I'm 51 and happy for you. It's harder
    for us Slower metabolism types. I just started and
    already lost 7 lbs!! We can do this!! Good luck & God bless!!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    As soon as I started gaining weight, about 18 years ago, I knew I needed to lose it. When I reached 180 and my cholesterol level got too high, I knew I needed to lose it. (I did lose 15, but gained 5 of those back before I started MFP.) A couple of years ago, my doctor told me I was obese. When I hurt my knee in April, another doctor told me losing weight would help my recovery. When my cousin sent me pictures from our family reunion in August, 2011, and I saw myself (my profile picture), I finally determined it had to happen. Fortunately, I read about MyFitnessPal on the internet, and it's been perfect for me. My knee still gets stiff and swollen, but I'm looking and feeling much better!
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    When I looked at some clothing and said that I would want to wear it...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!