Study: High-Fat Diet May Make You Stupid & Lazy

Options

Replies

• sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I didn't see the link to the actual study but I follow a blog written by a psychiatrist who examined either this study or a similar one. They use standard rat chow- not a natural diet for rats whether high fat or low fat. What effect does that have on mental and physical performance? That's one variable, second, different fats do different things in the body. Which fat did they use? Would a different fat have a similar or different effect? That's the problem with some of these studies (aside from the fact that they are rat studies)- there's really more variables involved than they claim to be controlling against.

Thank you!

I wondered how they were able to tell the rats were stupider because you can't really measure whether a creature is stupid or not when he can't take the same tests as you. And even then it's still really subjective.
  • BryanMiner
    BryanMiner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A new study on ME, verifies that study, at least to me. I am not a rat. I am a 47 year old male with the body of a 20 year old, well in better shape than most kids these days, I am not obese and I dont have diabeties. I have been eating a "whole foods, plant based" diet for a long time. It is Very low in fat. My cholesterol level was 114 last time I had it checked and high in HDLs and almost void of LDLs. My body fat is below 12 percent and I can run a mile in under seven minutes, or 12 miles in 2 hours. My resting heart rate is 60 and my blood pressue runs around 127/74. Pretty good for an old man! I can physically and mentally feel a difference in my energy and alertness after I "splurge" and eat too much fat, basically animal products. There is a lot of peer pressure to eat garbage and be lazy, like the birthday party I went to Friday night at the pizza joint. When I do eat garbage, like pizza, I feel like a slow moving, warm, muddy creek, all murky and full of nasties. When I eat well, I feel like a fast running, crystal clear mountain river. That's the best analogy I've come up with. I agree, from my own experience, with the auther, too much fat in your diet makes you stupid and lazy, AND FAT!
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    No.

The article was performed on rats, and thus cannot be directly applied to humans. Period.
    Rats and humans process macronutrients differently. Biochemical pathways that are efficient in one species are inefficient in the other, and vice-versa.

So you see I WAS discussing the article. My claim is it has no relevance to human subjects because the study was performed on rats,

Do you get it now?
  • sunkisses
    Options
    Why should anyone read beyond the word rat?

Uhhh... because in order to have a discussion about the article - you should read it. But you're not interested in having a discussion about the article. You're interested in derailing a discussion you have nothing to contribute to.

But there isn't a point in discussing it if it has nothing to do with humans. Did I miss something here? Why would anyone that is interested in losing weight or have good health and fitness read an article about a rat?

Ding-ding-ding ! Another genius. THEN DON'T COMMENT! What?! Other people can have a discussion without you telling everyone why you're not going to have the discussion! AMAZING! I wonder if it'll ever catch on!!
  • sunkisses
    Options
    A new study on ME, verifies that study, at least to me. I am not a rat. I am a 47 year old male with the body of a 20 year old, well in better shape than most kids these days, I am not obese and I dont have diabeties. I have been eating a "whole foods, plant based" diet for a long time. It is Very low in fat. My cholesterol level was 114 last time I had it checked and high in HDLs and almost void of LDLs. My body fat is below 12 percent and I can run a mile in under seven minutes, or 12 miles in 2 hours. My resting heart rate is 60 and my blood pressue runs around 127/74. Pretty good for an old man! I can physically and mentally feel a difference in my energy and alertness after I "splurge" and eat too much fat, basically animal products. There is a lot of peer pressure to eat garbage and be lazy, like the birthday party I went to Friday night at the pizza joint. When I do eat garbage, like pizza, I feel like a slow moving, warm, muddy creek, all murky and full of nasties. When I eat well, I feel like a fast running, crystal clear mountain river. That's the best analogy I've come up with. I agree, from my own experience, with the auther, too much fat in your diet makes you stupid and lazy, AND FAT!
    Thank you!!
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options

The rest of the article was simply stating the conclusions they drew. But rat studies are not directly applicable to humans, so why would it make sense to consider anything the article said once you learn that it was a rat study?
    The more you study, the more you realize the differences in causation, correlation, and effect. However, for years and years, we humans have started experimenting first on 'lower' species and gradually moved to human studies. This is a standard that can move forward into 'higher' mammals and eventually humans. Many medications have been discovered this way. Granted, there are limitiations to every study, but should we discount them because they were started on rats? Now why I am wasting my time explaining this???.... *sigh* *head desk*

There is none who is so blind as that who will not see.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I didn't see the link to the actual study but I follow a blog written by a psychiatrist who examined either this study or a similar one. They use standard rat chow- not a natural diet for rats whether high fat or low fat. What effect does that have on mental and physical performance? That's one variable, second, different fats do different things in the body. Which fat did they use? Would a different fat have a similar or different effect? That's the problem with some of these studies (aside from the fact that they are rat studies)- there's really more variables involved than they claim to be controlling against.

Now this is an important point. Besides the fact that it's rats, there are just too many things that can be affected due to the unnatural environment and food they are eating.

Personally, I would be a lazy rat too if all I had to do was sit in a cage and be fed delicious food all day.
  • sunkisses
    Options
    No.

The article was performed on rats, and thus cannot be directly applied to humans. Period.
    Rats and humans process macronutrients differently. Biochemical pathways that are efficient in one species are inefficient in the other, and vice-versa.

So you see I WAS discussing the article. My claim is it has no relevance to human subjects because the study was performed on rats,

Do you get it now?

This was your comment:
    A new study on rats

Stopped reading right there.

You are not a rat.
    do YOU get why what you said in your previous comment and this one are not the same, and how one facilitates a discussion and the other shuts it down? Thanks for playing.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options

Thank you!

I wondered how they were able to tell the rats were stupider because you can't really measure whether a creature is stupid or not when he can't take the same tests as you. And even then it's still really subjective.

True. I think the measure of their intelligence is maze tests- how quickly they figure out where to go, how quickly the memorize the right route, etc. I don't know how they could measure stupid vs. not feeling good, either. Not feeling 100% could affect performance too and make them appear lazy or stupid. But as I don't really know what they do to measure the performance, I can only speculate that those measures aren't controlling against a single variable either.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I read the whole thing and I have to admit that it sounds like a bit of rubbish.

One reason is that I would not read a study by scientists that conclude that a study may make you "stupid." That's not a scientific conclusion.

Secondly, yes this study was done on rats. While I would not completely discount it on that basis, we need to take every test done on rats with a grain of salt. Science has really only found out what 2% of the human body likes, and I think 2% might be a little exaggerated. Pair that with the untold differences with other mammals and I'm sure we'll find a good amount of flaws in "scientific research."

Thirdly, these "scientists" make no distinction between saturated, unsaturated and trans fats. Yes, we've all felt the effects of a saturated & trans fat diet [read junk food diet]. But why have these "scientists" chosen not to describe the diets of these rats? Science has already found that most people would do well to increase the "good fats" in their diets, mono- and polyunsaturated fats for fat loss.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    However, for years and years, we humans have started experimenting first on 'lower' species and gradually moved to human studies. This is a standard that can move forward into 'higher' mammals and eventually humans. Many medications have been discovered this way. Granted, there are limitiations to every study, but should we discount them because they were started on rats?

Rodent studies are useful as PRELIMINARY studies. But as you said yourself, we then progress to HUMAN studies.

I discount drawing conclusions from rat studies for the same reason you don't test medications on rats and then immediately approve them without further human trials.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Read at least half the article before you comment, please.
    Well, I tried but the blinking popup adds blocked the screen... if this was a serious scientific site it wouldn't indulge superfluous popups and crass web-ads..

In the end I did wade my way through the article and it was as informative as a blank piece of paper. It was found in a small study of rats. The study seems quite superficial in terms of what was studied and doesn't offer any peer-reviewed evidence to back this up.

Regurgitating pseudo-science and psycho-babble as scientific fact may make you look stupid.

But that's just my opinion... not a criticism.
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what fats you or they are talking about !
    I did not do a study. "They" are referring to a diet such as french fries, pizza, etc. as mentioned in the article.

Well the Sri lankans diet is full of one of the most saturated fat foods out "Coconut Oil " and they dont seem to be stupid or suffer from obesity, heart disease etc.......another lot spring to mind is the eskimo's who seem to live off of blubber and fat etc.

Having read the article I cannot see any where in it that it mentions Pizza french fries etc that you say they are referring to.....thats why I said it depends what fats you are talking about
  • sunkisses
    Options

Thank you!

True. I think the measure of their intelligence is maze tests- how quickly they figure out where to go, how quickly the memorize the right route, etc. I don't know how they could measure stupid vs. not feeling good, either. Not feeling 100% could affect performance too and make them appear lazy or stupid. But as I don't really know what they do to measure the performance, I can only speculate that those measures aren't controlling against a single variable either.
    Exactly, because after I eat these "high fat foods" I feel sluggish and slow (lazy?) and I do feel ill. Maybe I wouldn't do as well on an assignment. But I don't know if that would make me stupid. And then, are they saying that we're permanently stupid? Like our intelligence would decline infinitely or just during the time we eat high fat food? Can we recover?

Anyway, thanks for discussing the article. Clearly I don't agree with it either. I don't know enough about the study itself so that leaves lots of questions.
  • sunkisses
    Options
    I think it depends on what fats you or they are talking about !
    I did not do a study. "They" are referring to a diet such as french fries, pizza, etc. as mentioned in the article.

Well the Sri lankans diet is full of one of the most saturated fat foods out "Coconut Oil " and they dont seem to be stupid or suffer from obesity, heart disease etc.......another lot spring to mind is the eskimo's who seem to live off of blubber and fat etc.

Having read the article I cannot see any where in it that it mentions Pizza french fries etc that you say they are referring to.....thats why I said it depends what fats you are talking about
    Good points. Thank you.
  • sunkisses
    Options
    Regurgitating pseudo-science and psycho-babble as scientific fact may make you look stupid.
    Who is regurgitating pseudo-science and psycho-babble as scientific fact?
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    So my only contributions are such:

In my department, we have a mouse/rat research group down the hall. Some of them do research on obesity etc in mice. One thing that they have recently attributed to mouse/rat obesity,fatness, etc, is that depending on the age of the animal when fed the high fat diet, the results differ greatly.

Second, you can not draw conclusions on 'lazy and stupid' unless you read the original journal article as this is not a 'true' scientific website. Merely an article written to draw in the crowds with some ooh's and aahs, seeing as we bite like fish when we see any inkling that the foods we eat caused us to be fat more than our eating habits.

Thirdly, it does state int he article that some of the flaws are that they are rats and the effects may not be the same in humans (which we have already pointed out.)

Fourthly, they did not distinguish what types of fats were fed to the rats (again, we've pointed this out.)

Again, I'd need to find the actual journal article, but it doesn't mention sample size.

And lastly, it looks more at short term effects of eating a high fat diet. I'm sure after we all have a day of binging on pizza and fries (they mention such) that we'd probably want a long nap, but the person that eats the occasional crappy food but turns back around to the healthy side probably isn't 'more lazy and stupid' than they would be after a night of drinking.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

Uhhh... because in order to have a discussion about the article - you should read it. But you're not interested in having a discussion about the article. You're interested in derailing a discussion you have nothing to contribute to.

But there isn't a point in discussing it if it has nothing to do with humans. Did I miss something here? Why would anyone that is interested in losing weight or have good health and fitness read an article about a rat?

Ding-ding-ding ! Another genius. THEN DON'T COMMENT! What?! Other people can have a discussion without you telling everyone why you're not going to have the discussion! AMAZING! I wonder if it'll ever catch on!!

So just because we don't agree with it, we aren't supposed to comment? Isn't that part of a discussion? Having opposing viewpoints?

I got a bit suspicious when i got to "may". Correlation/causality implications.

Then it got to rats, and my suspicions grew. I then read the article, just to confirm my suspicions, and they were proved right :)

If you post something like that, you have to expect both positive and negative replies. That's what happens here.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    A new study on rats

Stopped reading right there.

You are not a rat.

You don't know that.
  • sunkisses
    Options
    I read the whole thing and I have to admit that it sounds like a bit of rubbish.

One reason is that I would not read a study by scientists that conclude that a study may make you "stupid." That's not a scientific conclusion.

This was the same problem I had with the study as well. Actually, I'm not sure if the study is at fault because they don't let us see the study. It could be the sensationalizing done for the blog, or the misinterpretations of the person writing the article. I don't know.
This discussion has been closed.