accents?

Options

Replies

• ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    It's so funny you say this!! I tell my husband all the time I wish I had a sexy British accent! I am from the south and try to cover the southern "twang" but there are some things you just can not hide!!!
  • thetiwi1890
    thetiwi1890 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Aww, I love this thread! It's really funny to see people wish they had other accents, but the really nice thing is that everyone here has a big appreciation for other accents/dialects and that's so heart-warming! It's a small world, and it's great to see people appreciating it!
    :heart:
  • JustEllieK
    JustEllieK Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Australian for sure!
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    ummm from the Midwest so no accent....but could I please have Sendhil Ramamurthy talk to me all day his voice makes me melt!

:laugh:

I lol'd at the "so no accent" part. No, honey. lol

:bigsmile: YES!!!! Made my day! http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6060107/grammar-nazis Oh BTW I HATE English this may be because I can’t spell. (Use proper grammar or commas)
  • nadiB
    nadiB Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I live in London now but have a very heavy South African accent......I like my accent but often get mistaken for a Aussie.
    I like a scottish accent, especially for a man think Gerard Butler :-)
  • EmmaJean7
    EmmaJean7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Aww, I love this thread! It's really funny to see people wish they had other accents, but the really nice thing is that everyone here has a big appreciation for other accents/dialects and that's so heart-warming! It's a small world, and it's great to see people appreciating it!
    :heart:

I feel the same way :)) its cool to see how something can unify people of many cultures :)
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Lol like someone said "California accent" but people assume I'm from somewhere in the carribeans olol.. I don't get where they get that from?

But French accents are super sexy!

Oh and actor Tom Hardy's accent is super super sexy :)

And yes Aussies have nice accents :)
  • EmmaJean7
    Options
    South African accents are beautiful!
  • EmmaJean7
    Options
    I live in London now but have a very heavy South African accent......I like my accent but often get mistaken for a Aussie.
    I like a scottish accent, especially for a man think Gerard Butler :-)

South African accents are beautiful!
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I have a slight Southern (grew up in North Carolina) accent in English, but I've been told I sound "Scandinavian" in German, not quite sure what that means.

On a side note, I just love hearing non-native English speakers speak English.
  • beathen
    beathen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I lived in the Midwest for most of my life, so I have an Illinois/Wisconsin/Michigan accent (not Da Yoopers accent!), but I've been living the last 6 years in Florida so I've picked up on some of the southern twang. When I visited family in WisCAHnsin for Christmas two years ago my sister wanted me to keep talking because she could hear some of the southern in my voice. I thought it was great! :D

I'm a fan of the Aussie & British accents, and Irish & Scottish are high on my list. :)
  • FitnessElle
    Options
    My mom's Cuban accent rubbed off on me a bit.
  • tracey2710
    tracey2710 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Northern irish but a lot of people think I'm scottish...
    Absolutely love the welsh accent :love:
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Everyone has an accent when they go somewhere else.
    Even if you never leave home... everybody speaks with an accent. That's a fundamental part of speech no-matter what language you speak.

I'm a natural linguist and my accent changes depending on what language I'm speaking and with whom I'm speaking.

When I speak English I have a very mild Scottish accent, however, when I'm speaking Lallans (my mother tongue) then you really can tell that I grew up on the south-west coast of Scotland.

I speak Dutch with a slight Rotterdam-accent, but I can also do a pretty good BRT-Felmish accent too.

My German accent is definitely non-geographic Hoch-Deutsch with some weird Bavarian words thrown in for good measure.

Not sure what sort of Swedish accent I have... probably non-geographic.

My French, Spanish and Italian accents are also non-geographic, probably foreign, but certainly not English.

I love languages and accents and they evoke so many different memories/emotions etc when I hear them.

Most of my colleagues are foreigners - that's what happens when you work for an international company with a global presence :bigsmile:
  • RuchikaPal
    RuchikaPal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    yes...its north indian :glasses: ...... very very different from rest of India...... in India we have hundreds of different accents.... but i love mine!!! :P :wink: :tongue:
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    My Husband is Canadian, from Toronto, and I love his accent, but mainly its his deep sexy voice,.....yum

I am from the South of England and speak a fair RP if I want, my Husband says the best way to explain it is 'like Joanna Lumley'
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I have an interesting accent. I get asked where I'm from every day. I was born in Minnesota, but I travel a lot for extended periods of time. I've stayed in California, Canada, Germany, Italy, now I'm in east London. My poor accent doesn't know what to do anymore.
  • EmmaJean7
    Options
    I have an interesting accent. I get asked where I'm from every day. I was born in Minnesota, but I travel a lot for extended periods of time. I've stayed in California, Canada, Germany, Italy, now I'm in east London. My poor accent doesn't know what to do anymore.

lol
  • nowornever47
    nowornever47 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Love this post as I think accents are interesting all over the world. I'm from New England and as soon as I speak I get asked "are you from Boston?" I tawk like pahk the cahh in hahhvaad yaad.... LOL but I do love to listen to Australian accents or even someone who has an extremely thick southern drawl... so fun! And - of course, I don't have an accent, you do.... (HEHE) :laugh:
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I like a true accent from many different areas, but I absolutely HATE when someone tries to imitate an accent. Especially a proper Southern Drawl, sounds terrible when someone tries to mimic it, as in poorly trained actors.