OATS = THIN

Options

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I'm here.

OP- Those links you provided aren't studies or scientific research backing up your statements.

Could you please cite some studies proving that Oats cause you to lose weight and burn fat?

Thanks.
    sigh........ can't someone share what's working for them without a put down anymore? She mentioned it's working for her... it was her opinion, we all have one and are entitled to one on here. Or as least I thought so..

We all have different methods that work for each of us.. one method may not work for another that works great for someone else. It's wonderful to have choices in life!:flowerforyou:

Oh my apologies, it sounded like the original post was stating that eating Oats causes people to burn fat. Maybe I read it wrong.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I'm here.

OP- Those links you provided aren't studies or scientific research backing up your statements.

Could you please cite some studies proving that Oats cause you to lose weight and burn fat?

Thanks.
    sigh........ can't someone share what's working for them without a put down anymore? She mentioned it's working for her... it was her opinion, we all have one and are entitled to one on here. Or as least I thought so..

We all have different methods that work for each of us.. one method may not work for another that works great for someone else. It's wonderful to have choices in life!:flowerforyou:

He wasn't putting her down at all. He was asking her to provide studies that back up the claim that it burns fat. That was all. I can't speak for him, but I know that I have never heard this before so I would be interested in seeing scientific evidence that backs this up. If it works for her, fantastic!!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I'm here.

Thanks.

She isn't just saying that oats work for her - she is claiming that they burn fat and make people thin. That isn't the same thing, and there is nothing wrong with people asking for evidence.
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I am truly enjoying my popcorn and just sitting this one out. :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    On the internet we're going to hear just about anything burns fat and makes us thin.....we should be use to these by now:smile:
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options

May I have some popcorn while I watch?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

You should be eating oats.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm here.

Thanks.

Now, now joe. Studies don't "prove" things. Not even a point.

You mean even the ones you try to post with a harvard-science tag on it, Bcatts? Now now. Let's not start juggling pots and kettles. ;)

I absolutely do mean those. Scientific medical studies provide evidence on the subject matter. But not proof. That evidence would need to be weighed against evidence from many other studies to even begin to hint at "proof". Any good reseacher would never say "prove", they would say "most evidence leads us to believe" or some similar language.
  • bcattoes
    Options

You should be eating oats.

I wish I could put oats in the microwave and it would come out all puffed up like popcorn. I'd eat it everyday.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

*sits down with popcorn*
  • joejccva71
    Options
    I'm here.

Thanks.

You mean even the ones you try to post with a harvard-science tag on it, Bcatts? Now now. Let's not start juggling pots and kettles. ;)

I absolutely do mean those. Scientific medical studies provide evidence on the subject matter. But not proof. That evidence would need to be weighed against evidence from many other studies to even begin to hint at "proof". Any good reseacher would never say "prove", they would say "most evidence leads us to believe" or some similar language.

What does it take to prove something Bcatts? If I watched 100 men and women eat a calorie surplus and they all gained weight...does that prove that eating a calorie surplus causes people to gain weight?
  • ONE03
    ONE03 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i think anything that's healthy and doesn't cause unhealthy cravings should make ya thin. :) be it oats, broccoli, etc.... unfortunately, rice (any kind), gives me serious uncontrollable cravings. so i've cut that out.

isn't it straight forward? cals in < cals expended = weightloss?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I'm here.

Thanks.

What does it take to prove something Bcatts? If I watched 100 men and women eat a calorie surplus and they all gained weight...does that prove that eating a calorie surplus causes people to gain weight?

No. What other factors were involved? yadda, yadda, yadda. I don't know what the criteria for "proof" are, but I would think there are very few things health related that are assumed "proven".
  • joejccva71
    Options

In the AJCN study it concludes this:
    Conclusions: Both hypocaloric diets were effective means of improving CVD risk factors with moderate weight loss. There were significantly (P < 0.05) greater decreases in CRP and percentage body fat in the abdominal region in participants consuming whole grains than in those consuming refined grains.

It does not state what the rest of their diet was. The person eating whole grains versus refined grains was probably fuller longer so ate less.

I can guarantee you that if I ate whole grains and went over my TDEE and ate a calorie surplus, I would get fat.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

*sits down with popcorn*

Me too....extra butter please.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    It seems as though you're grasping at straws now. I'm not thinking you've read much of this as it has little(ok, nothing) to do with burning more fat. It talks about choloesterol and heart health...and how those improve with weight loss...and how complex carbs are good for you(the one that Joe mentioned above also mentions a hypocaloric diet....gee...calorie deficit...lose weight? go figure). But eating oats causes you to burn more fat? No.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    I'm here.

Thanks.

No. What other factors were involved? yadda, yadda, yadda. I don't know what the criteria for "proof" are, but I would think there are very few things health related that are assumed "proven".

Would you say that it's proven if someone base jumped off a 300 story building, fell and hit the concrete that he would die? Or would he bounce off like in The Matrix.
  • madsxx
    madsxx Posts: 12
    Options
    so glad i read this! havent had oats in a while and i love them!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    so glad i read this! havent had oats in a while and i love them!
    Try reading the facts rather than just the OP lol