To Husky or Not to Husky?

Options
Vaibhav_ace
Vaibhav_ace Posts: 93 Member
That is the question. ha ha!

Ok, I am looking for some pointers from folks who have experience with Siberian Husky dogs. Before you give me the input, please consider that I have already done a lot of reading online (even bought a book I am reading on Huskys). So I know the "basic" pros and cons of getting a husky. However, I think a lot of those are written by "Experts" or "Breeders" and they deliberately factor out certain details.

So here's the basics

Me:
- Pretty Busy single guy
- Work 10 - 11 hours / day
- Loves to be active (Currently dedicated to p90x)
- Lives in frozen tundra called Wisconsin
- Has a tiny (not fenced yet) yard. Say 20 X 20 feet
- Willing and capable of running 3 miles almost daily (but will probably have a few days when I just don't want to run or bike or whatever)
- Avid motorcyclist (so must have time for rides, and can't really take a husky along)
- fairly unpredictable schedule.
- Not a home body (No idea why I bought a house)
- have a small car (2 seats only), so likely not the best pet transporter.
- absolutely loves dogs (had dogs growing up, but haven't really had one over last 10 years), but never owned a husky before. I've had German Shepard, Doberman (pair), Pomeranian, Himalayan sheep dogs etc.

Husky
- Beautiful (mostly love the way they look). I am signed up for a all white male!
- Stubborn (I think I can mostly deal with that)
- instinct to run and possibly get lost (I can build / buy a GPS collar)
- needs exercise daily (I think I can do this, but what about days when its 20 below )
- may not come when called and usually not willing to cuddle (I have a problem with this)
- territorial (will chase/kill cats if they intrude! I love this, sorry cat ppl)

So, the rub is, I really WANT a husky, but the rational side of me says perhaps this isn't the best dog for me, mostly due to time needs. Perhaps I should stick with a German Shepard.

PS: I am looking for folks who have experience with huskies to chime in.

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I had a Samoyed. Very similar. They need a lot of attention and love to dig.

I don't think you are ready for a dog. Not fair to the dog, if you can't give it the attention it requires.
  • mrdalton
    Options
    I know how you feel. I always have wanted a husky. BUT the fact is I am at work 12-16 hours a day and it just isnt fair to leave them locked up all day. Plus I hear they need crazy exercise or they get upset and into mischief. I ended up with a tiny little designer toy dog. She hates going for walks and loves to sleep all day. Perfect for my schedule.
    Think it over. And best of luck to you and whatever pup you end up with.
  • greatdaneaddict
    greatdaneaddict Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Before you think about getting any dog, fence in your yard! I promise it will be the best investment ever.

Also, Wisconsin is only a frozen tundra about half the year. :tongue:
  • GT_Ginger
    Options
    Do yourself a favor - go to a shelter and adopt a mutt. It will be the best companion you could ever imagine. When you rescue a dog they spend the rest of their life thanking you. And if you're really hung up on getting a husky - I'm sure those end up in shelters too.
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,177 Member
    Options
    I have owned two huskies (they were brothers) and everything you said about them is true!

They are very independent.

Ours have killed several cats in their lifetime (those who were unfortunate/stupid to jump the fence into our backyard).

They shed like CRAZY! Fur tumbleweeds all over the floors.

They are beautiful.

They love company seeing they are a pack breed. Leaving one alone during the day may not be good for your furniture.

They do need exercise.

If you have your heart set on one, they can be trained, but judging by what you wrote about your lifestyle another breed may be more compatible.
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have a Husky mix....he cuddles like a spoiled baby. He has wicked separation anxiety. He also sleeps spoonie style with my older fat cat. (PS - Dogs killing cats isn't funny) But he does have poor recall like you mentioned and blows his coat all over my house on a daily basis. Grooming is a constant battle, although he loves the furminator.
    I understand he's a mix, but all of his personality leans towards Husky, complete with "shaking the snow off" every five minutes, even in July.

If you're going to be gone ten to twelve hours a day, don't get any kind of dog. Try goldfish.
  • steelguy54
    steelguy54 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have a husky and to be honest, I don't think this breed will work for you. Huskies love to be with they owner and you will be at work for 10-12 hours a day, that will make a sad sad husky. They also need a large yard. I have a big yard for him to run around and play and I wish it was like 4 times bigger.

The only plus is that this dog will love the winter weather you will have. When it is near 0 degrees outside, we are freezing, they are loving it!
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I had a beautiful male husky for 13 years. I love and miss him everyday. RIP Kosta boy!!! He was the BEST dog ever!!! However, that was after a year of one on one training with an expert. They are VERY stubborn dogs and are hard to train. They LOVE to run. They are very territorial and protective. They are very prideful. That said if you have the time, money and patience you will be happy. :smile:

I wanted to get a second one but remember how hard he was to train so I got a great dane instead and I would have 10 more of them in a heart beat! LOVE LOVE LOVE a great dane. Easy to train, very lovable, love to chill or exercise. Kind of go with the flow type dogs. Good luck with your decision!! I'm jealous now I want another dog! :laugh:
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    GPS collar eh? care to fill me in on this? is this something that's available?
    I have a husky mix, I love love love love him! he's great in everyway, except the running part! We've had to bail him out of doggy jail twice!
    The only other thing is that they are kind of hard to leash-train since they want to PULL! TBH this is horrible, but mine isn't leash trained at all! (my other 2 dogs are) but he's so friendly, gentle and submissive, he's almost always off leash. we walk run in the woods where there are rarely other people. It does cause a problem if you have to leash them though. the second half of my walk was MISERABLE yesterday when I ran into a woman with an autistic child that was really afraid of dogs. I had to keep him on leash because I was afraid to bump into them again. I spent the rest of the time yelling at him to stop pulling and having my arm pulled off :/
  • SSampley
    SSampley Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I had a huskey and a akita I love them both, I think I am more of a akita girl but I agree you might not be ready..those type dogs are meant to work and need you to be able to exercise them to keep them active, if you cant do that then they tend to find other things to keep them busy which means your stuff will get tore up. They are beautiful though!
  • Vaibhav_ace
    Vaibhav_ace Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    (PS - Dogs killing cats isn't funny)

Sorry, bad joke. Didn't mean to offend anyone.
  • ricanstace
    Options
    I have 2 Huskies and 1 Malamute. They are awesome dogs!! But they need lots of space, and like Road dog said, they love to dig!! I have 9 fenced acres and 1 of the Huskies still doesn't think that is enough land. He kept digging out to roam the countyside. Mine also like to hunt! Anything that comes on our property is pretty much fair game, cats, mice, gophers,skunks, ground squirrels, and even racoons. The other thing to remember is that they shed, and I mean they SHED!!!
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I :heart: my husky. She was VERY sneaky at first, got into everything, things we had no idea a dog could get into and when she'd get loose she'd take off for miles. :noway: she has calmed down a lot in the last 4 years, and is now active when she/we want her to be and can also be a really great lap dog (I think she thinks she's about the size of a chihuahua lol). She sucks as far as protection goes - the only thing she barks at is cats, she doesnt know a stranger. She hasn't required any more or less attention than any other dog we've ever had. Took more patience in the beginning with her because it really was like having a toddler (sneaky, seriously, really sneaky & cunning).

We adopted her from a shelter when she was 2 years old. She had two previous owners who didn't have the patience to train her and would let her run away and get picked up by animal control. :ohwell:

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna say No a husky probably isn't right for you.

They are high active dogs and it wouldn't be fair to the dog to sit at home all day since you said you work 10+ hours a day.
    They're also escape artists so i'm going to venture to say your small yard isn't going to contain it.

I'd also say a german shepherd isn't a good fit for you either. they are also active dogs and don't usually do too well with sitting at home all day. I know you said you've had one before but i'm guessing it wasn't with the same busy schedule?

Your best bet however would be to adopt an adult dog(3+ years) so you already know any behavior problems it may have(digging, fence jumping, etc.) and how active the dog is.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a favor - go to a shelter and adopt a mutt. It will be the best companion you could ever imagine. When you rescue a dog they spend the rest of their life thanking you. And if you're really hung up on getting a husky - I'm sure those end up in shelters too.

This...as my husband and I have adpoted 4 dogs from the animal shelter. However, that being said, I would look into fencing your yard and perhaps looking into another breed that isn't as active or even getting an older dog. Remember you will be gone for 11 hours a day and that means your dog is going to be left alone for all those hours.. If you do get one you may want to look into getting 2 dogs just so that they have companionship... Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Having trained multiple Huskies I would say that if your schedule isn't predictable then I would get a different dog. Then tend to entertain themselves when bored and this would be beneficial to your house.

The shedding will be on EVERYTHING you wear.

They tend to not play well with others and are not typically great around little kids (like every breed, there are exceptions)

they are highly trainable.

They will love the outdoors when you're not home so a fence with pavers under it and a doggie door would be best.

Very loyal and protective but if breeding isn't right then they are jumpy and not good to have around.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I have a husky and love her to death! She is VERY stubborn as others have said. Took a lot of time to work with her on training.. I mean A LOT. They are very smart, they just don't feel like doing anything they don't want sometimes! She also loves to dig...and dig..and dig. She sheds a lot as well. Mine has gotten loose a few times, too. We do have a fenced in backyard and she never stops running! That's fine outside...but in the winter, when she is mostly indoors, its a huge problem. To have an 80 lb dog running all over, completely oblivious to everything else.. She is also VERY loving and very loyal. She's protective and does require quite a bit of attention..she loves snuggling up with me, which I love! She has killed a few cats, too....and squirrels. She's very fast.

Basically, if you don't have a lot of time to spend with the animal, you might not realize what you're getting yourself into. I've always had dogs growing up, Doberman Pinschers...and she is NOTHING like any dog I've ever had. She takes a lot more of my time, but it's definitely worth it.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I had a husky before and the shedding was awful.. that's the 1st thing I think about them! ha

Second, I don't think you have the time for a husky. They love to be active. Your work schedule sounds like you wouldn't be able to give them the time they need.
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Summary: Resist temptation and do what's best for both of you. Don't get a husky.
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

THIS. They have Husky rescues. PLEASE look into them before going to a pet store or breeder. Do not support puppy mills!!

If you are not home most of the time, I would steer clear of getting a dog for the time being. All dogs need constant companionship, husky or not.

ALSO, do not be THAT person who deliberately lets their dog kill other people's pets (cats) or even wildlife. I know it happens from time to time, but it's just downright awful to wish it will happen.